We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retrieving coins from edge palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Hello,

I've been working on retrieving coins from edge palm for a long time, since I saw Roth's lecture (LIve in Sacramento). The problem is that I find it difficult to retrieve the coin pinched between thumb and middle finger in a way that is very visible to the audience. Generally, my middle finger almost covers half a coin and I'd like to grab as little of the coin as possible. In bobo they show how to retrieve coins from this position ending up pinched between third finger and thumb. In this case, the coin is more visible but don't like to make coins appear with my third finger. I think the issue is that middle finger is longer than third finger. Btoh of them retrieve the coin from edge palm and the coin ends up in third or second finger position depending on the direction you flip the coin with your thumb. When I retrieve coins from Kainoa edge grip following his method the coins are more visible. At the same time, I think edge palm is a wonderful palm that allows to show the hand very open while hiding the coins.

The visibility issue is greater when using halfs instead of dollars.

Would somebody share their methods/techniques to retrieve coins from edge palm? Some available video to see?

Thanks in advance
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Just practising...It seems that the trick is to keep your middle finger slightly curved so it's shorter than the third finger so that the third finger holds more part of the coin while the middle finger only grabs the edge. However, it's difficult to execute so far.

Regards
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
What do you mean retrieve? You mean produce?

If you think Kainoa's method is a more visible production, then why don't you just use it?

Finally, are you talking about a single coin or producing a single from a stack?

If you want visible and are just using a single coin, then push the coin from edge into a clip between the first two fingers so the thumb is free, and use the thumb to produce it at the very fingertips.
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Hi Daegs,

Yes, I meant "to produce". Kainoa's method is from a different palm and I'd like to master productions from both palms (edge grip and edge palm). I'm referring to the production of coins from a stack. This is another reason for learning the edge palm, since it allows you to stack many coins and still show the back of your hand with open fingers. I also use the method you refer to but this time I'm looking for producing coins between middle finger and thumb from a stack of coins in edge palm, so the coin is first pinched between middle and third fingers.

Regards
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
http://www.kainoaland.com/hsindex.html

In my opinion the best resource that I know of.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Camador,

PMed you with something that may help.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Camador,

Dave Roth shows it in one of his DVD, I think it is live in Sacramento and he mentions the Arthur Buckley book principals and deceptions which teaches how to produce coin from that grip.

Just for the record; the edge grip and the the edge palm are completely different as far as I know.

Also Paul Gerner uses the edge palm in his matrix routine and other routines as well; check out his DVDs.

I personally don't like that slight, I found that in most cases one's hand looks cramped up even if you holding now just two coins, maybe it is just me; I instead use Downs palm, I live and die with Downs palm,i do not have any problem palming lots of coins and be able to produce them one at a time at ease and my hands do not look tense which it is not the case with the edge palm.

my 2 cheles.

Mano.
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Hello Mano, Thanks for the reply. Yes, edge grip and edge palm are completely different. I have Roths DVD but it's not very clear how he produce the coins. I'll try to locate Arthur's book and Gerner's dvds. I think with practise the hand can look very relax and open when holding coins in edge palm. The larger the coin the better though. Three sleights are nice: edge grip, downs palm and edge palm.

Regards
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Hi camador,

You are welcome, and I agree with you about the coin size, it helps for a more relaxed look of the hands; I use silver dollar.

Be well.

Mano.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retrieving coins from edge palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL