The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plotted Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
Are there any performers out there performing a full stage act (an hour or more) with a plot to it? I would like to see something like this if anyone has any recommendations.
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I considered this for a while. The reason that I decided against it is because I figured that I would have to be able to do one of two things. I would either have to: 1) be VERY creative in making the story not only really good, but in leading it to various illusions without them seeming out of place, or 2) be VERY good at adapting different illusions to fit the story. And while I would say that the vast majority of my time is spent trying to think up different ways of adapting or presenting illusions, inevitably I almost always end up purchasing something that is tried and true and then creating a routine for it.

Another issue was that I couldn't find any ways of "showing" the props (ie wheeling them around, showing them empty) without it being exactly that... a break in the story to show the prop.

That being said, I think that it would be extremely cool if there was a magic show with a really good storyline.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Like Doug Henning's "The Magic Show?"
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I saw the original Magic Show on Broadway with both Doug Henning and his replacement.. Joe Abaldo.. and to say that it had a good storyline is strecthing it.. however.. it's what got me started in magic... and I'd have to say was one of the influential experiences of my life!!

it ran for 4 years.. and hasn't EVER been revived as far as I know..
magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
I guess I'll have to order "The Magic Show" off of Amazon. The reviews aren't all that great though. Only 2.5 stars with 19 reviews. Not exactly top notch stuff. Is there anything better out there?
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I didn't see this show, but I recall reading some good things about the show... Interesting none the less.I wish I would have caught the show when it toured here last year.

But I think that it is routined as a "play"

http://www.magicoflove.com.sg/

scott
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Any reviews from anyone who actually saw this show???
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I saw this show.. it wasn't great theatre.. and the magic for the most part wasn't integrated into the plot.. more in Act 2 than act 1... but it also wasn't that good.

A really good friend of mine I used to do theater with was the bad guy... it was certianly good opportunity for scenery chewing..
but.. they didn't advertise At ALL .. and it ended up closing it's west coast run 3-4 cities early.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
This is being discussed (sort of) in another thread....

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=7&7

sb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plotted Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL