The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Prestige (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-10-21 01:42, Bryan Gilles wrote:
I didn't care for the Vanishing Bird Cage and the death of the birds... I'd feel bad if someone thought those of us who perform this in our acts actually off a bird each time.
Go see this flick!!!

-Bryan

I wouldnt think most people think we kill birds to acomplish an effect. I am sure most realized that the whole thing was to prove a point in the show.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3498 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The PRESTIGE!

Well, I liked the book a whole-heck-of-a-lot more than the movie....
OK...we'll say "film" instead of "movie" it's almost at that level.

Oh, yeah, in them-thar-old-en-days the bad magician’s DID crush the wee little birds when they did the birdcage vanish (think of your tux sleeve during the rest of your show) thank the gods we now have latex birds!

Secondly, it's a good romp, but these guys get pretty dark and grisly (well, then again I've been to some club meetings where.... nevermind) and the movie, ahh film, seems even darker and more violent than the book (the final shots have something to do with that I think too).

Third, the BIG illusion (which I loved when I read the book too) is the bravado-bull-crap about the "three parts to a magic trick" I'd have to defer to Max Maven or other summative history expert, but as far as I know from my experience and study those three terms "always used in the magic craft" including "The Prestige" for the third part, were totally made up as fiction by the very clever author. It makes sense though, but pulls the wool over the readers and audiences eyes thinking they now have some "in" lingo, maybe even some magicians think they missed a chapter or two in their history reading as well.... great stuff!

Kudos too, by the way, to both the book and film for doing wonderful detailed research (especially the book) this guy knows how magic works and how magicians think.

I loved that they “gave away” secrets without reallllllly giving away secrets…. I died when Cutter was cranking up the huge spring over and over to vanish the improved birdcage (lucky dove spared as well).

I'm going back to see The Prestige again, I was sitting there a bit lost as I kept mentally referring back to the novel, and the movie is VERY, very different, in some ways the two main characters have actually switched some personality traits in the film. So I need to clear my mind of the book and try to see the film with fresh eyes the second time around.

All in all, both this and The Illusionist could be very good for Magic as an art form, and yes, to think those practicing our craft were once respected wealthy "Victorian rock-stars" and today get offered little respect and less money to make balloon animals for kids who's parents really just needed a babysitter (well, it’s not always that bad, but heck it was a long fall down).

Oh, last, they mention Sawing a Woman In Half, an illusion that was presented more than a decade after the movie took place... and nary a levitation in site! And why does no one do the Transported Man anymore, is it the cost of electricity?

Magically, Walt
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I came home and cried.

This was probably one of the worst book to movie renditions I've ever seen. Absolutely horrible.

Christopher Nolan (for some strange reason) changed the ending - how The Great Danton REALLY died. It was much better and way cooler.

Because he changed the death, many new elements were added in to build up for that ending. I.e. that glass box? Where did that come from... It may have been used once in the book.

Danton and Angier were NEVER friends in the book, they never worked on a show together. One of them performed seances to make money for the family when times got hard. His wife helped him out... The other magician came to his sceance to debunk him for a fraud... something bad happed... and the feud began.

I wish I were one of the lucky people who had never read the book, otherwise, I would have loved the movie. So much good stuff was left out of the movie Smile

Derek Merdinyan
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Derek anytime you walk into ANY MOVIE expecting it to be as good or better than a book you will walk out upset. A book can take its time and develope plots a movie does not have that luxury(unless you wanted that movie to be 4 hours). I learned with Jurasic Park to take the movie for what it is. Leave the book out of it.

Name a movie that has been better than the book?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Too true. Books leave you to fill in the assumptions and the 'picture' and movies do it for you, so the film dictates what you see. More constrictive.

Loved the line (what was it exactly?) about the Secret always disappointing a person.

Comparing The Illusionist to the Prestige: Loved the lush colors of Illusionist better, The Prestige was more like Eastman-Kodak film, while the Illusionist was more like old technicolor. Illusionist's denoument was hacked, too quick and more like a twist/joke on the audience. It left us to fill in the blanks and fit the pieces together. The denoument in Prestige was well thought out, and explained in detail so we got it, and it was still part of the drama.

Gotta see it again, to appreciate it more. I think The Illusionist, a standard film with a weak plot, will fade as a film, but the Prestige will last as a quality piece.

Bowie was exceptional as Tesla. His approach was very non-hollywood style. Why isn't he doing more acting???????
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah, Bowie's acting was superb. I didn't recognize him in the trailer until I read about the film.

My head is still spinning from watching this one. Derek has cleared up so much I missed (had to go to restroom with little one).

Candini
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I saw this last night and thought it was great. I love how Ricky Jay just HAD to make an appearance. Their portrayal of the workings for the vanishing birdcage were very cool to watch.

I did enjoy The Illusionist a tad more as I thought that the plot and writing were much stronger however, this was still great. Fantastic performances.
Micheal Cain is my hero.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I am actually in the proccess of reading the book.

I rather liked going in only half way through though, as nothing was truely spoiled. It has been a long time since I saw a film where I did not already know almost the whole outcome from reading the script, or having a friend tell me who was already dead.

I also knew going in that it was a "loos" adaptation, as said by Nolan himself.

I liked how he changed their initial meeting, and what caused the fued. Mainly because I found that it helped with making it so you really couldn't side with one over the other.

I believe that if they had made it start with the seance bit, you would have had more reason to have a bais against one or the other.

I just loved how you really could notsay to yourself who was the good guy, and who was the bad guy.

Psuedo Spoiler

I also just LOVED how the whole movie and truth about the big illusion was layed out in the first scene. It was always about the bird, lol. Exactly like

End pseudo spolier.

Start BIGGER, HUGMONGOUS spoiler (do not read anymore of this post if you do not want the whole film spoiled. Don't give into temptation, see the movie first, then read the post);

I am sill confused about one thing though. Jackman went to Tesla asking for the same machine that he built for Bale, but if that was the case, then how come Bale did not know how Jackman's final Transported Man worked?

He should have known, or was there some other machine that Tesla built for him, but then what led him to build the machine for Jackman then, if it was not the same one?

Also of interest, Danton basically commited suicid every night at the end of his show, but why did he not just do it once, and then use the same Prestige for all the following shows then? Rather then killing himself everytime?

Perhaps these answers will come when I finish the book, but that should not be a requirment for the film.

Still, the machine and Tesla are a plot hole to me. Anyone else?

End BIG ass spoiler.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
To respond to gdw I am going to expand on some ideas I got out of the film which means here come more massive spoilers please stay away until you see the movie because it really is good.

~~~

After watching the movie my thought were that the machine was just a fancy cover for the real method. What if in the two years Danton was gone he didn’t have any need for the machine other than a cover for the vanish. Here is what I am suggesting could Danton have searched out and found 100 look alike thus explaining why he had to limit the show as he did. Maybe he sacrificed others lives instead of giving up part of his own life as Bale's character did. I think upon viewing the movie again it gives just as logical explanation as what the film appears to make you think it would also explain why the secrete isn’t what we "want it to be". I don't know how the book ends but from how the film plays it seems much more likely to have a explanation of this sort.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
SPOILERISH THINGS FOLLOW:

Quote:
On 2006-10-22 15:29, gdw wrote:
I am sill confused about one thing though. Jackman went to Tesla asking for the same machine that he built for Bale, but if that was the case, then how come Bale did not know how Jackman's final Transported Man worked?

He should have known, or was there some other machine that Tesla built for him, but then what led him to build the machine for Jackman then, if it was not the same one?

Tesla never built a machine for Bale. Bale sent Jackman on a wild goose chase. As much was acknowledged when Jackman, waiting for Tesla to finish, got to the end of Jackman's "diary" which pretty much stated the same. That's why Jackman went to angrily confront Tesla.

--dale.
threeshellgame
View Profile
New user
Sierra Nevada Foothills, Northern California
32 Posts

Profile of threeshellgame
Just saw it today! Superb all around. Great cast, superb acting, wonderful editing. A real winner of a film with a surprise ending that you see coming...but you don't see coming. You have to see this film!

And it's going to finish the weekend as the top grossing film. Could this be a reawakening of magic in the general public? Seriously, this could take us all up on the entertainment evolutionary scale. Finally, we'll be more "prestigious" than those miserable mimes and almost equal to small market radio DJs.

Okay, now they need to make a movie from "Carter Beats the Devil." That will make it a trilogy, including "The Illusionist."
"Old Enough to Know Better, Still Too Young to Care"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 17:39, djrdjr wrote:

Quote:

Tesla never built a machine for Bale. Bale sent Jackman on a wild goose chase. As much was acknowledged when Jackman, waiting for Tesla to finish, got to the end of Jackman's "diary" which pretty much stated the same. That's why Jackman went to angrily confront Tesla.

--dale.

But then why did Tesla know what to build? Tesla certainly seemed to have agreed to having built a machine for Bale.

Even if he was only going along with something that Bale had set up, then why did he build a machine that actually did something???

However, knowing Tesla, he would have done something like that, but there was nothing to suggest this inthe film.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
How satisfied were all of you with Bale being cast for that role?

I would have cast him right after Shemp.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I took my son and son-in-law to 'The Prestige' last night. While we all liked it and thought it to be a good (not great) movie, what we all came away with is the feeling that we hoped they both died. We really didn't care about any of the characters. It was too long and we really just hated the two magicians. "Get a life, guys."

Also the 'surprise' ending didn't surprise us at all. All in all we gave the movie a B-.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 20:11, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 17:39, djrdjr wrote:

Quote:

--dale.

But then why did Tesla know what to build? Tesla certainly seemed to have agreed to having built a machine for Bale.

Even if he was only going along with something that Bale had set up, then why did he build a machine that actually did something???

However, knowing Tesla, he would have done something like that, but there was nothing to suggest this inthe film.

Tesla never said that he built a machine for Bale; he just never denied it. In fact, he ultimately admitted that he had never built such a machine before, when confronted. Bale did not set anything up with Tesla, either. Tesla desperately needed money and Jackman said money was no object. Why did he build a machine that actually did something? Eventually, he was going to have to deliver something to Jackman. Tesla was eccentric but, apparently, not a thief.

--d.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, I actually started thinking about it that way a few hours ago.

Thanks.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Anyone else notice how perfectly the bird forshadowed everything???

Also, when I started reading the book, and saw the trailers, I could have sworn that they were playing the opposite characters.

But also, I was mostly just in the first diary, so I had only seen/read the two characters under one light.

djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 23:31, gdw wrote:
Anyone else notice how perfectly the bird forshadowed everything???

I missed that until it was pointed out here. Brilliant.

--d.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
So many twists and turns in this movie. Sometimes I feel more questions then answers. Really makes you think.
ljgrant
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ljgrant
I liked the whole feel of the movie as well as having Ricky Jay in it, always a big plus. I was hoping the plot would be more about the bullet catch, though. As someone said, it was far more about revenge than magic.

I was confused, but my family wasn't. They thought the plot was really simple! Though they said they got the whole plot, they missed the bird parallel that I pointed out to them.

For some reason, I chose to pick up my candy wrapper during the last scene. Hello?? My family found that timing to be perfect. The scene is a huge reveal.

I want to see it again to see how much I missed in the plot. The whole plot uses a magic method again and again which if I mentioned it here would be a spoiler, so I won't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Prestige (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL