The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Prestige (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Maybe its just late...But I have no idea what you all are talking about with the bird parallel...Anyone care to PM me?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4133 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Saw it last night. I actually didn't like it at all. The Illusionist was 100 times better in my opinion. The Prestige was thought provoking but mainly because it was so confusing to follow. I thought they did a horrible job explaining who all the characters were and that's where the confusion started. The opening 30 minutes was too slow and convoluted.

As the reviewer for the Chicago Times said, the Illusionist was just plain better.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER

SPOLIER------
OMG.
Bale never had Telsa build this machine. It was a goose chase because of Bale's TWIN BROTHER. That was laid out explicitly. One loved the wife and one loved Scarletts character. The transported man was exactly as it was thought of. Cutter (Caine) made constant references to it being the only way. Dig a bit deeper and you will understand Bales assistant and who he was. Many people have missed the Brother part due to the dark nature and subtle inferences made. The best example is that Bale's brother had to chop off the fingers. A Clone would not have had to. This is also why Bale did not know what knot he tied. It was his brother who tied the knot after they agreed to do it the other way. This threw off the assistant as she was expecting the agreed knot.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3498 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Wow, if you did like the movie....
Read the book!!!

You'll have a better idea of just how dark the working that machine was.

As for the two characters, in the film their personalities are sort of combined from the book and thus confusing if you read it.

I thought the casting was perfect…
well if they'd filmed the book it would have been perfect...
but since they changed the movie personas around some,
they almost could have switched roles
(they are two very versatile actors as well).

Michael Caine stepped right out from the pages of the book, as did Tesla!

Remember, as well as being a Victorian Magic movie,
it's also a creepy-fantasy sci-fi movie,
that may help you swallow some of the harder pills.

Magically, Walt
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 12:18, glodmagic wrote:
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER

SPOLIER------
OMG.
Bale never had Telsa build this machine. It was a goose chase because of Bale's TWIN BROTHER. That was laid out explicitly. One loved the wife and one loved Scarletts character. The transported man was exactly as it was thought of. Cutter (Caine) made constant references to it being the only way. Dig a bit deeper and you will understand Bales assistant and who he was. Many people have missed the Brother part due to the dark nature and subtle inferences made. The best example is that Bale's brother had to chop off the fingers. A Clone would not have had to. This is also why Bale did not know what knot he tied. It was his brother who tied the knot after they agreed to do it the other way. This threw off the assistant as she was expecting the agreed knot.

Exactly. I had to think through that after the movie. I love movies where at the end I need to think about things for awhile, IE Fight Club, Momento, Usual Suspects, The Prestige. It is refreshing when I walk out of a theater and have to think for a second. That means the whole movie was not predictable. Gives you something to wonder about. Is that not what MAGIC should be like? I would hope after people see my show they are confused and need to think about what just happenend.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
"The Prestige" is #1 at the box office with a $14.8 million opening weekend.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 12:18, glodmagic wrote:
SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER

SPOLIER------
OMG.

More SPOILERS

Um, yeah, we knew that.

Although, you are off with the knot part. It was tied because she and him agreed upon it through their looks, quite clearly.

As for the rest, I don't think anyone was thinking that the second Bale was from the machine.

I was suggesting that Jackman could have just used the machine ONCE, and used his duplicate rather than killing him everytime.

The bit with the goose chase, I also got, however it was because it seemed that Tesla acknowleged having huilt a device for Bale. I assume that he did perhaps have some hand in the electrical display Bale did use, but obviously it was not the same machine.

What I did not get was why Tesla made the machine to do what it did, only being told to make one the same as he made for Bale, which he did not make.

Essentially, Tesla would have had to have been in on it, but decided to see if he could actually make it work anyway, or simply went along with what Jackman told him, and just never stated oneway or the other about making anything for Bale, because he needed the funds.

End SPOILERS
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
And The Illusionist was in no way better then The Prestige.

It was a good film too, but NOT on par with The Prestige
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
SPOILER ALERT

So who actually tied the knot? Was it the twin? I noticed the look also and thought they were both in on tying a different knot of sorts. But, it would make sense the twin did it and didn't do it correctly.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
It wouldn't matter as they both lived the same life. They both knew and lived everything the other did.

chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-10-24 01:36, gdw wrote:
And The Illusionist was in no way better then The Prestige.

It was a good film too, but NOT on par with The Prestige

Different films. Personally I don't have a favorite out of the two. I like them both for different qualities. I watched the Illusionist twice. I will go back and watch the Prestige again.
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
SPOILERS.....

Keep going....

I have thought that when 'The Professor' has refered to TESLA as his secret, I don't think he had him build a machine. I think that maybe he said TESLA as his secret because Tesla was misunderstood with his genius, and the same people that hailed him one moment, called him crazy the next. In the same way that Chung Ling Soo was used and The Professor had LOVED how dedicated CLS was to his own act, and considering he was never chinese and went down in history as one of the greatest chinese magicians, well, that sets the story up quite nicely. So, to the viewer, and Danton, this escaped him as he was looking for solid answers and real methods and NOT the objective or the thoughts behind the effect. You know, kinda like some folks at the Café.
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
Spoilers part two....

and I had forgotten this one...

What if The Professor did go to Tesla, and he did stand in the machine, and thinking that nothing happened went home and found himself outside on the way out as a sort of impromptu duplicate. Then again, I don't know that Tesla was even a part of the story at that stage. I assume not since the antics of the brothers were seen as early as when he first walked his wife home. So, forget this theory...it's just out there. Maybe I should read the book.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-10-24 04:06, Candini wrote:...So who actually tied the knot? Was it the twin? I noticed the look also and thought they were both in on tying a different knot of sorts. But, it would make sense the twin did it and didn't do it correctly.

Stop.

Consider why the guy could answer the question with "I don't know". Honestly.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Sorry off topic a bit here.

We had the Illusionist, The Prestige. I heard a third "magic movie" is coming out. Anybody know if that is true?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
The Professor certainly had an admiration for Tesla, but he also knew full well what he was doing with telling him Tesla was his secret. It was in no way ment as merely inspirational source, but fully as a wild goose chase for Danton.

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
...and wasn't 'TESLA' the 5-word key that breaks the diary code?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
...err, five letter key....
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-10-24 12:04, chichi711 wrote:
Sorry off topic a bit here.

... I heard a third "magic movie" is coming out. Anybody know if that is true?

How would anyone else know whether or not you heard such a thing?

Do you have anything specific?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
But if you remember that the 'diary' code was merely a rouse put on by BOTH men...in the 'gotcha' kind sense. Hence, if he did go see Tesla, which I don't feel like he did. If you timed out the time he was performing the teleported man and the times that he found out his wife was pregnant/daughter born, etc. There is a lot that does not add up, timewise, for a dissappearing to America trip in the equation.

I think of this a being the magical equivalent of someone telling another magician that it's method 106 when really it's method 42, however, the magician who thinks it's 106 will work and work until he preforms it with method 106, simply because that is how it works in his mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Prestige (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL