The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » CC2 vs Dary'ls Ambitious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I'm aware there's another thread going on about ambitious card, but I wanted to ask specifically the differences in styles/techniques used on the ACR in these 2 dvds. I recently bought crash course 2 and was thinking about also getting Dary's. Mainly I'd like to know if and how the 2 overlap in technique or if they are completely different approaches? I'm content with CC2 alone if they go over much of the same content.

Thanks in advance.

-Drew
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I have both.
I learned ACR first from CC2, which I think is a very good DVD. Daryl's Ambitious DVD will teach you more moves than you will ever need. It has been a while since I viewed either one of these DVDs, but as far as I can remember, there probably is some overlap. However, I would recommend getting the Daryl DVD. I use moves that I learned from both DVDs in my ACR routine.

Good Luck
PW
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I have Daryl's DVD but not CC2. I think it's okay but a bit overrated. From looking at the table of conents of CC2, I think there is a fair amount of overlap. More importantly, unless you're going to be doing a very long ACR, a lot of the moves taught duplicate and cancel each other out. You're only going to use one move to set up the effect, for example, so if you have one approach you like, I'd recommend sticking with it. Also, it's not as if Daryl's routine teaches things like the Raise Rise move -- the moves taught are pretty basic ones.

What I would think about is whether or not you like Daryl's Ultimate Ambition gimmick. The DVD teaches you how to make it, but it is time consuming and requires equipment you might not have. If you buy the Ultimate Ambition set, you get the gimmick and a DVD instruction of the whole routine. What you don't get is the "appendix" of additional moves included on the initial DVD. If you like Daryl's closer to the routine -- and it is quite good -- then it might be worth getting the Ultimate Ambition set. Again, I haven't seen CC2, but I have Daryl's and I think one ACR DVD is enough for me.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I'm not familiar with the Ultimate Ambition gimmick. Would it constitute exposure to let me know what it is/does?
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
There are a lot of posts on the Café that talk about it, but, basically... the effect is that you very cleanly and visibly insert the ambitious card into the center of the deck and you tie up the deck with rope or rubber bands. You push the card in and then a moment later, with the deck still tied up, you pull it off the top. Yeah, it's the same ACR effect but it really is done so visibly and cleanly that it is a fooler.

I think Jay Sankey has a gaffless effect that is similar, but I don't know it.

For what it's worth, I bought the Daryl DVD because I wanted all the moves in the appendix. The guy at the magic store was pushing the Ultimate Ambition set on me but I held off because I wanted the complete works on the DVD and didn't think I'd use a gaffed ending for the routine. And, the Ultimate Ambition is a few bucks more. Later, I wondered if I had made a mistake because the Ultimate Ambition gaff is cool and I can't see myself spending the time to try and make it myself. (Again, he does explain it on the first DVD.)
SeoMagi
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SeoMagi
The difference between Daryl's and CC2 - and I find them both to be excellent, by the way - is essentially the difference between a science text book you'd use in a lecture and a flashy science book you'd buy in a book store.

First, both are good, and you'll learn a lot from both. The textbook is likely to be a bit dryer, but is more time-tested and has more information. The flashy book is likely to be a bit less informative, but streamlines it to the nitty-gritty techniques and is more entertaining.

I don't know if that's enough to base your decision on, but I also think you'll be satisfied purchasing either (or both) of them.

- Seo
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Dear fooksau,
better you buy both of them (CC2 + Daryl ACR DVD), so you have a wide range of variation of moves. since in the CC2 you can find ACR that apply to street magic situation (impromptu) and at Daryl you can find strong variation with gimmicks (close up).
Art-Fantasy
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
169 Posts

Profile of Art-Fantasy
Save money. Buy Daryl's. It gave you information on how to end impromptuly. CC2 I suppose is okay. But, Daryl's handling is great one and his teaching is also excellent. Definetley cant go wrong with this one.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hi there

Just go with Daryl's ACR DVD

His explanation is faboulous

This is also one of my first dvd as well

Cheers
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I went ahead and downloaded the CC2 dvd. There's enough there to come up with a solid ACR. I'd like to have 1 solid ACR that I can use I don't think it's necessary to have more than 1 version.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Look at all resources in the development of an ACR, including Dai Vernon's from Stars Of Magic. And please get Tommy Wonder's L&L DVD that has his ACR to ring box. Tommy explains his ACR is really Vernon's and he goes over the psycholgy of the routine. I think without this knowledge, an ACR can never be as strong as it could be. Just my two cents.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
I totally agree with MagicChris, Tommy Wonder routine is amazing, and his presentation is the best I ever seen with a super Kicker ending.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I might just have to add that to my list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » CC2 vs Dary'ls Ambitious (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL