The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Tony clarks newspaper dove holder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Ok so I'm a little bit dissapointed as it came in today and although the instructions say two pieces of valcro is supplied to put in your jacket, it was not included. Guess I'll have to find it myself in some kind of supply store.

Also the line that attaches to the holder is not attached to it. Now I don't know if that's how its supposed to be, but if it is, I cannot figure out how to attach it to the holder. Can anyone help with this question? thanks.

Finaly, there is a velcro attached to the holder. I'm not quite sure the point of this, since if I put the bird in, and stick the valcro together, the bird wont be able to come out when it's supposed to. Unless of course I undo the valcro, which in itself will be a small pain trying to get it open and not to mention the noise. This is not even mentioned in the instructions...

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Most of the holders I have purchased from Tony Clark do not have the line attached. You will find that depending on the effect, the line will change and I think he puts it in there to give you an example of what a basic set up looks like. If that length and size works, you can thread it through the material (toward the front) and tie it off.

The Velcro is there on the holder to keep it closed and prevent your bird from coming out prematurely. As with most Velcro holders, they are opened manually and on stage with music it will not be heard. I suggest getting some books or videos. Tony Clark covers basic productions in his videos.
Zaubern Smile
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
So I just stick the thread through the material? with a needle or something? I don't see any specific spot it should go in.

Durgy
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Durgy, put your dove in the holder and mark where the breast bone of your dove is. It will probably be about 2" down from the top of the holder. Thread the line onto a needle and attach it at the mark you made. Make sure you use several knots. I always put a little clear nail polish on the not to keep it from coming undone.

As for the velcro strips for attaching it to the coat, the holder should not be attached to the coat. Are you talking about the pocket? Normally the pockets are either sewn or pinned to the coat.
Where the magic begins
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks dave for the advice. I'll try what you said.

as far as the velcro goes, the instructions said to attach a piece of velcro to the coat in which you can put the line so you can find it easily. I understand you don't attach the holder to the coat.

I also have a tony clarks dove pocket. What I should do is either sew or pin the pocket inside the jacket, and then put the holder with dove inside it, into the pocket, correct?

Durgy
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Now I understand what the velcro is for. It's a loop holder. There are many different methods of holding that loop in place. I'll send you a PM with an explaination. I don't want to get into gimmick exposure on the forum. You have the basic concept for the dove pocket correct. The dove in the holder goes into the pocket. The best thing to do is pin the pocket in place first and experiment with different angles and finding the best place to fasten it in. Once you know where you want it, then you can sew it in. If you have Tony's pocket, then you have the instructions on how to sew it in.
Where the magic begins
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hi Durgy,

I don't want to come of harsh, but it doesn't sound like you know what you're doing. Please make sure, for the sake of all the other dove magicians out there, that you do a lot of research and rehearsal before using this in your show.

You will find that almost all dove holders use velcro to keep them closed. There are other methods, but velcro is the most simple all around concept to use and replace as needed. It's a good idea to go to any store (even most gas stations cary velcro) and pick up some extra, so that you'll have it incase you're performing and need to replace a piece now and then. It's inexpensive, easy to find, and is good to have on hand when you need it.

You should really check out Tony Clark's Behind the Seams Video, as well as Andy Amyx Doves 101, Victor and Diamond's dove video, etc... there are many on the market. I wish you the most success.

Good luck.

Dave
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks Dave.

Yes I am new to the subject and am still in training mode of the doves. Rest assured I will practice a lot before using them in a real show.

I do have one of Tony Clarks dvd along with encyclopedia of dove magic. So far I think that's a good starting point.

Thanks for the help everyone

Durgy
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys.. I just got my Tony Clark Dove Holder int he mail today, and I placed my dove in, and marked off the spot where to thread the wire through. I threaded it through, and am ready to perform with it... Just one thing: I have Unmasks I and II and Tony says something about heating the 'cat-gat' (I think) to give it a bend to help the steal.. My wire feels kinda like fishing wire.. Will this work with my wire?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vinney, there is a difference between wire loops and cat-gut loops. The "wire" that comes with most harnesses is cat-gut or standard fishing line. If you want to put the bend in it is to wrap the end of the loop around a cylinder like a large diameter wood rod or even a cardboard tube from a roll of papertowels. Heat it slightly with a hair dryer and it will retain the bend.

Another way is to purchase from General Grant a device called a "looper". It does basically the same thing and you just set it out in the sun for a bit. The bend will remain. Of course you don't have to have a bend in the loop. It's a personal preference.
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks Dave!! By the way, do you know where I can find Gen. Grant Products? Does he still manufacture holders and harnesses, etc.?

Thanks!
-Vinnie
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The General does not advertise and he doesn't have a web site but he does sell his bags, harnesses, holders, silk fountains, zombies and a whole lot more. I have his list. I just emailed it to you. You can contact the General at ggmagic@aol.com
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks Dave!! It's appreciated! =]

-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Other solutions to "wire loops" is to actually make wire loops from 20 gage insulated wire or black floral wire. Sometimes I bend them around the lapel of my coat and they stay put. They will ultimately mark your tux unless you are very careful.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That's the wire I use for my loops. I don't bend them and I don't wrap them around my lapel. I have good loop holders and they stay where I want them. Some loops are outside my jacket and others are held out of sight under the jacket.

Floral wire is good but you need to remember to burn it to make it black
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Tony clarks newspaper dove holder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL