The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Audience participations / Adults help suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
We are fairly new to this as we've been performing for just about 2 years now, our show is a comedy magic clown magician type and has been geared towards the kids, who we use as volunteers a couple if times through the show. My question is we need to get the adults more involved so was looking for ideas from anyone that can help.

I was thinking maybe at the beggining call out the parents, thank them for making it happen and then have one of them do something while we have them there, maybe sing a song like "Las Mañanitas" while we put on them a cowboy hat or something to that effect?

or maybe a dance contest between two couples a little further into the show?

can anyone help with ideas?

We need to get the adults involved, even though they sit down and watch the show most of the time- we are not getting them involved and I feel this would help make the show more interesting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MagicJac
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
I open most of my shows with a variation of Steve Taylor’s “Applause Flower” (I forget what he calls it.) It is his opening effect on Fantastic Friends video using the wilting flower. This would also work great with Axtell’s “Off the Meter”

In a nut shell. I have the girls try it first …“because everybody knows girls like flowers the best”, then the boys …“because everybody know boys a better than girls, right?”, then the parents… because parents know how to do everything….because they’re so…OLD! Then everybody has to work TOGETHER to really make it work. It gets the parents tuned in early on and says hey this show is for you too.

If it is a family show I will use the dad for a tricky bottles as a “Test” to see how well he follows directions. It’s gotta be fun, not humiliating for the dad. This could work with hat tears, mouth coils, or any do as I do routine. Use a dad instead of a kid. Ask the kids volunteer their dad.

Chris Carey published a routine on one of his books called “Ropes Thru Dad”. It involves a dad wearing a balloon hat and preferable two daughters. I’ve tried it a couple of times with good success.

Hope this is some fuel for the fire.

DeWayne
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks again for your help Dewayne!

If anyone has any other ideas, all help is greatly appreciated Smile

MagicJac
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use to have the B-day's child father be my volunteer in the "Flaming Head Chest." Now I use three adult females (one mother, two grandmothers} challenge three young kids in opening the break-a-way fan. The kids always win. Next, I challenge three men (father, two grandfathers) into trying to blow up a 260 balloon before I blow up three of mine. I always blow up all three of mine before they can blow up one of their's.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I user humor that is directed to the adults throughout my show and keep them involved by interacting with them directly. Eye contact, direct questions, and humor, go a long way to keeping them involved and entertained.

It can be something as simple as when you have a kid on stage and he is doing something funny or he has one upped you (by your design) you look directly at the parent and ask, "Has he/she always been like this?" That simple statement will get you a really good laugh and it will keep everyone involved.

When I'm working I try and play to everyone. I don't think there is a reason not to, and it keeps the parents from talking in the back of the room. Smile It also keeps them close to their children so you do not have to babysit. Smile

Nothing works 100% of the time and I still run into situations where the parents want no part of the show but I have found that since I have designed my show to target everyone it does happen less often.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I use the adults at my shows for several effects - some shows equally as much as I use the kids. This keeps them interested and part of the show. The kids also love for the adults to be the volunteers, and 99.9% of the time, the adults do an outstanding job. Mom, dad, grandparents, will do all sorts of strange things to please the little ones, and when they see how much the little ones' enjoy them being a part of the show-they will want to be a part of the show.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Danny Hustle: Sounds like we have the same idea. I always see the act as a family show and play to everyone. I don't pick out any adults to assist with the tricks but they are involved throughout. This approach is a great way to get bookings, because it's the adults that pay your fee!! I have a couple of videos on YouTube which illustrate the way I work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jeAuIHuwOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_Rf-Yjk9A
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Kimmo, great job. I'm entergetic and active too. That is what helps keeps the kids attention. I really love the act you do with Charlie, I had to watch your other acts you do with Charlie on "You Tube". You make him active like you. I can't even see your mouth move, (unless the sounds are coming from somewhere else.) I gotta give you an "A."

I hear the kids laughing loudly. Maybe you would want to get a second camera and record some clippings of the kids as they laughing at your jokes, it would make a better promo.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Kimmo,

Great, great, stuff! You are a real worker my friend!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Wonderful job Kimmo! This is what it's all about.........the difference between an amateur and a professional!
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Thanks Dynamike, Danny and Roger!
Re. having a second camera to catch audience reactions. I would love to do this but there seems to be a little hysteria here in the U.K. about posting images of children on the web, even if its something as innocent as an audience watching a kidshow!! I received a complaint from an annoyed parent last year and had to remove a couple of audience shots from my website. I also tried to film at a library show and the staff said it was not permitted.
I made sure I had permission from the parents of two kids who helped with the card trick, but purposely never turned the camera on the crowd.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I understand, my bad. At least I enjoy watching your act again and again because of the comedy, activeness, showmanship and control.
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks al again for the responses !

Jaime
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Audience participations / Adults help suggestions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL