The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Pro-Line Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Thanks Tim
I found your idea suitable to my needs.
I PM you with some questions.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
Jonathan,
I bought my zombie ball at ABBOTT'S MAGIC about 26 years ago and it is 5 inches. it came with the one finger gimmick and a small metal stand.
I was very lucky to see Neil Foster perform his zombie routine...something you never forget,awesome!!!

Mark
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Must be the same one I have and purchased form Morrissey some almost 20 years ago.

You were certainly lucky to witness Neil Foster in action.

Hmm... I wonder if there is a link to somem top quality zombie performances?

If so, please post these links under a seperate (and new) heading called: "Zombie Routine, Videoclips."

...Tim,

Perhaps you can start us off by posting your wonderful clip under this new heading!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
Jonathan,
Neil Fosters Zombie ball is on display in Marshall Michigan if you ever get a chance to get there.

Mark
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I'm heading over now! lol

...Perhaps one day.

Jonathan
Jonathan
mimagicman
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
17 Posts

Profile of mimagicman
I believe the two tube gimmick was a U.F. Grant product years ago, and came with snaps to fasten a foulard to it. I had one but never used it as Neil Foster gave me the dickens for suggesting it.

Also, I am told the Don Wayne floating ball is now off the market and he is out of business.

After all these years, and watching Neil do the zombie each month on the road together for 10 years, I have never seen a finer performance of a life filled little silver ball.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-11-23 10:30, mimagicman wrote:
Also, I am told the Don Wayne floating ball is now off the market and he is out of business.

No.. Don Wayne still makes the balls. You can contact him for info at donwayneinc@earthink.net

Best,

Tim
royaltmagic
View Profile
New user
Kintuckee
61 Posts

Profile of royaltmagic
Ickle Pickle had put out a nice Zombie as well.
But I personally think that the Morrissey zombie ball is one of the best.

-Travis
"Beeble beeble beeble. Blah blah blah."

- Sum Wan

http://www.royaltmagic.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I have a definite problem with the Morrissey balls, and always have, I spoke with Herb about his several years ago, and he basically said “I know but so what they sell”.

This is what you must search out to find a “perfect” ball:

1- A fine Zombie ball should be of very lightweight spun aluminum, yes, it can dent, don’t drop it.

2- The surface should not be lacquered, it eventually clouds the surface of the ball and it means the ball is sealed and cannot be highly polished to a mirror surface ever again. This also means you must lovingly and gently polish your ball with a mild polish ( kike silvo) and lint free cotton cloth before every performance and before you store the ball again.

3- The two halves of the ball should not “jam” together, there should be a very slight “flange” so the halves marry to make an almost seamless, and very round ball.

4- The “collar” within the ball must be deep, almost an inch deep and should be slightly smaller in diameter in the far inside point than the outside diameter, this is to it will hug the gimmick, and also so it will not wobble during performance.

5- The original balls were of the smaller size, about the size of a small grapefruit, and the four-inch diameter will show off and play well even in a very large auditorium if it’s kept well polished. Maybe it’s Okito Floating Ball envy—but guys seem to crave larger and larger balls. If you want a six or eight inch ball, you need to be doing an Okito type effect not a Zombie type effect.

6- From the audience’s point of view, either close in or far away, the ball must appear to be a one-piece, mirror finish, heavy metal sphere, they should assume it to be similar to “garden globes” which are quite heavy steel or glass.

That’s just the ball guys ‘n’ gals….
--I could go on and on about specifics for successful gimmicks,
--and specifics for successful foulards.
--And stands vs boxes,
--and specialty vs traditional endings.

Maybe someday I’ll do a DVD and “give away the store” until then you have the TWO good ones done by Jeb Sherrill, Tim Wrights video, and the Al Schneider download BOOK. They should keep you pretty busy.

I’ve been working with this type of effect for thirty years, and it has been the showpiece in my act the last ten, I have the utmost respect for the possibilities when handled with care and grace, and this piece of Magic deserves and demands the best equipment money can buy.

It is a shame, almost to me tragic and a professional crime that Abbottt’s who held the patent and who had Neil Foster on their team has stopped manufacturing the Zombie, it was by far the best available.

I have a very early Abbotts' Zombie from the 50’s that is now plated in 24 Karet Gold, and also one of the last they made just a few years back. Since the best I’ve found are the Italian ones carried by Viking, I hope the new Rings-n-Things will someday remake their version taking into consideration the list above.

Magically,
Walt
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I received my Viking zombie ball this eveing.

GVery nice .

The shiine and the seam are of finer quality, in my opinion, than my Morrissey ball.

The flange is noticeably deeper and therefore will receive and hold the cork securely.

Many (many) thanks Walt for your sage adivce.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-11-23 10:30, mimagicman wrote:
I believe the two tube gimmick was a U.F. Grant product years ago, and came with snaps to fasten a foulard to it.

Actually, General Grant Murphy was the one who marketed the item.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7445 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Chris at Encore Magic still has some original Zombie balls from Ring N Things. Contact him through Encoremagic.com.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Rings & Things II has just released their
SBL Floating Sphere,
it's NOT a Zombie method!

I understand it can be used either like an Okito Floating Ball
or somewhat like an Astro-Sphere Floating Ball

This is about six-inches in diameter,
and made of very light weight aluminum.

I'll post a review as soon as it arrives!

You can learn more at their RNT II website.
Just a heads-up to my other Floating Ball junkie colleagues....

Magically,
Walt
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7445 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I spoke with Chris at Encore Magic today. His site is down for maintenance.

Until after the holidays, he will only be open on Saturdays due to family and business obligations. His phone is (810)732-3694.

Just wanted to let everyone know what is up. To top things off, his shop has been broken into so he is still trying to sort all that out.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Pro-Line Zombie (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL