The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » LARGE KIDS PARTY, HELP!!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I need help now. I perform kids birthdays shows but I just booked a large party at a zoo that will have over 200plus children!!!! This is what I do so far. Super frog, Balloon animal trick, Peanut Butter and Jelly trick, Coloring book and a few things off the Dan Harlan DVD. I need a few more things that play really big! What should I do that will get the most attention and is very visual? Please give me as many ideas as you can! I have this show on Saturday!
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Good luck ;-)
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Before accepting a show booking such as this, have you taken the other important things into consideration besides the effects? Things like sound and audio? You have to be heard by all 200 children. Too many people take things like this for granted.

Steve
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Too late to add new tricks, stick with what you already do well and bring lots of business cards
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
No offence but yet again its the same situation, got a show in 2 days and need help. You shouldnt of took the booking if your si ill prepared. asking for routines now is like a pilot asking how to fly before take off
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Magicjg:

Are you saying the show is THIS Saturday, two days away? If that is the case, this is much too late to consider any new material. My recommendation at this point is to think about how to make the routines play well for a larger audience.

Take the coloring book, for example. A birthday party show probably only requires that you casually flip through the pages, while you probably have to make a conscious effort to show it all around for a group of 200.

I think 2 days of rehearsing your routines to a big audience (making sure everyone sees what's going on) is the best use of your time at this point.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Ron
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Thing about it, if the kids sit in rows of 20 that is only 10 rows, they can see. Just play everything bigger if you know what I mean, this is what Ron was saying. Go get 'em.
Steve V
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Steve V - couldn't agree more. 200 children is not that big a deal.
Magicjg take heart and do what you would normally do, but just play it bigger.

It will work.

Best wishes,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
If you're going to add anything to your show, invest in a sound system and rehearse with it for the next two days. It's the one that that will guarantee your show will play bigger.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Thanks for the good replies. I honestly didn’t ask to get criticized over what I decided to do. I have done kids shows before, that’s not a big deal. A friend of mine had an emergency and he needed me to cover a bigger show. I just asked for some ideas on anything that would play big. Thanks for the help.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
From what I read, I don't think people were trying to criticize, but rather trying to help others to avoid painting themselves into a corner. Besides, they are right ... you can't learn a new trick/routine in 2 days and expect it to do well. The tricks you listed, if done WELL, can easily play to a crowd of 200. The advice about sound systems is, of course, valid.

You are far better off to do things you are comfortable with, even is you think they are too small. The BIGGEST thing you can do is get GREAT REACTIONS from the kids who help you. The interaction between you and the kids is what makes a great show, not "bigger tricks." For example, if kid says something funny but it's off-mic, repeat it as a question, as if you can't believe what he just said; to the audience, it's almost as funny as hearing it from the kid. Make the KIDS the stars, and you will be a hit.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
If you're doing the ballon animal trick in the paper bag you can milk that for a good five minutes. I love that one as it's such a performance piece. You could also do a balloon swallowing as in sword swallowing effect. I've watched Jonny Fox milk that for about 3-5 minutes as well. Not sure how you do your PB&J but it can be played out a bit with an animated performance and/or a kicker. The ol' eggs...glasses and broom trick. With kids if you screw that one up they are probably more entertained. A trip to the store and a couple hours practice and you could have that one down. Best of luck!
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
A Pro nightmare routine plays big if you have one in the bag. If not you can use the rope to tie one of them up and you are down to 199...(LOL)

Good luck and sound is a must.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Thanks guys
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
For me a difference between birthday partys (up to 15 kids is a usally number around here) and 200 kids is that with the birthday parties I do not use music at all in the half hour -45 minutes show.
If I do half an hour-45 minutes for 200 kids I do use music intead of pattern (and sometimes along with pattern, but particulaary also instead of.) With 200 kids it just don't work (for me) to talk all the way trough the show. I change between talking and doing some (visual) things on music. I get a better over-all concentration in that way.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Added bits such as....

Juggling
Puppetry
Sight Gags
Improvisation with and without the kids participating
Harmonica or other musical instruments that you play....
Stilt walking
Poi
Silly announcements

More of you......and connect with your wonderful audience.

200 is fun...but needs lots of energy....
This year I had fun with 1400 (high school students) in a gym...

I think I lost 5 lbs that morning......

Basketball juggling is very visual...Trying and missing the basket a few times and then inviting one of their students for a quick 1 on 1. ..was an impromptu bit that went over well. Picture a 5'5" pudgy guy with a game with a 6 ' plus player.

Enjoy.....but as others wisely wrote
sign on for things in your range....of course in my younger daze, I learned the hard way as wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist and Nearly Normal "Righter"
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 20:22, magicman845 wrote:
If you're going to add anything to your show, invest in a sound system and rehearse with it for the next two days. It's the one that that will guarantee your show will play bigger.

Kent

I would get an approval from a zoo before bringing in a sound system. The sound can scare the animals. One time I tried to bring my animals in to perform at a zoo. I found out they were not appoved to enter because of possible diseases that could be passed to other animals.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 22:22, John Bowlin wrote:
If you're doing the ballon animal trick in the paper bag you can milk that for a good five minutes. I love that one as it's such a performance piece.

What is this balloon animal trick and where can it be found? Thanks, Jeff
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I believe he is thinking of Jeff Hobson's Balloon Bag routine. It's on his DVD, available from most dealers. I think it was a Mike Maxwell released video. Try Hocus Pocus.

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » LARGE KIDS PARTY, HELP!!!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL