The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Any plans to produce "Greater Magic" in PDF, ebook form (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Hi,
Anyone know if there are any plans to produce "Greater Magic" in PDF, ebook form.
Possible onto a CD like Slydini Encores?
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
God help us all
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
462 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
I've inquired about it with Chris from Lybrary.com a few months ago. It's something that's in the back burners due to some copyright issues that needs to be worked out. No future "release" date yet.

It would be excellent to have the Kaufman edition of Greater Magic in a searchable format!

(Then again, it would be excellent to have a copy of the hard to find Kaufman edition of Greater Magic in any format Smile!)

Bosco
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
For the last 6 years I have been trying to get the rights to "Greater Magic", but so far no success. However, recently there has been some positive development. Still far away from anything concrete but at least some progress.

Best,
Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Any news on a possible digital release?
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
Unlikely, at least from Lybrary.com.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I own the Kaufman edition of Greater Magic and I really DO hope that either hard copy or digitslly it gets reprinted (the original or the Kaufman edition). This book is virtually a self-contained magic library. It is a masterpiece and should be in the working library of every serious magician. Like the Tarbell course, MANY of the "new" effects can be traced directly back to Greater Magic.

Xiqual, I am not certain what you mean by your comment "God help us all." Are you saying that a digital Greater Magic is a bad thing? If so, why? Books are meant to be read - digitally or traditional print. It has been 18 years since the Kaufman edition and this is a legendary book. Why should it remain in limbo? The book, despite Hilliards sometimes rather florid prose [Jean Hugard actually finished the book and the difference in writing style is fascinating] is as relevant today as it was when Carl Waring Jones published it in 1938.

Chris, I know that you usually do not print hard copies, but, if by some miracle you can secure the rights to reprint this in hard copy, the book couldn't be in better hands.

Namaste,
Vlad
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
Vlad, I would certainly consider printing it. But I think by the time a reprint might happen the digital medium will be so dominant that a reprint will be hard to justify. But perhaps as POD it could be made available for those who want it printed. It is important enough to have it available in multiple formats.

At some point it will fall into public domain. It has still a way to go, but unless I am struck down by an early death I should be still alive to digitize it. So if you guys can stick around it will happen eventually Smile
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 08:04, Chris wrote:

At some point it will fall into public domain.

Any idea, at all, when this might be?
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Very possibly never, since Greater Magic was published after Mickey Mouse was created.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have a copy of Greater Magic in PDF. I don't remember where it came from though. Some website. I've had it a few years. So this was never released by Lybrary? I wonder where this came from? Please, do not ask me to make you a copy. It is a HUGE file!

Doug
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
Lybrary.com never released Greater Magic as an ebook.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow. I wonder where this came from...I have had this for years. Many years. Sheesh. It's perfectly scanned and it's a beaut. I collect magic books in PDF. I actually have a PDF of The New Modern Coin Magic by Bobo as well.

Doug
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
Doug, all I can say is that whatever you have are unauthorized scans. These are copyrighted books and to the best of my knowledge the owners have not authorized digital versions.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 15:33, duanebarry wrote:
Very possibly never, since Greater Magic was published after Mickey Mouse was created.

Yes, well...
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 20:41, Chris wrote:
Doug, all I can say is that whatever you have are unauthorized scans. These are copyrighted books and to the best of my knowledge the owners have not authorized digital versions.

OK, now I know. For that reason, guys, please...no more PM's asking for a free copy. I feel bad enough about it. I'm not going to destroy it, but will not allow it to be copied. Man, I wonder where this came from?

Doug
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
If my calculations are correct, the original edition should fall into the public domain in 2033 if it's original copyright was renewed in 1966. If the copyright was not renewed in 1966, the original edition is already in the public domain.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
It was renewed. I checked this years ago Smile
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 20:43, CJRichard wrote:
If my calculations are correct, the original edition should fall into the public domain in 2033 if it's original copyright was renewed in 1966. If the copyright was not renewed in 1966, the original edition is already in the public domain.

You don't appear to have calculated for Disney continuing to purchase legislative rewrites of copyright terms in order to prohibit Mickey Mouse from ever falling into the public domain.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
Of course, a change in copyright law can happen as it did several times in the past. But I think extending copyrights cannot go on ad infinitum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Any plans to produce "Greater Magic" in PDF, ebook form (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL