The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yes there really is a Kalamazoo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The title of this post is also seen on a popular T-shirt here in Kalamazoo Michigan.

Ever since I started another discussion on the Café about the "Magic Night" comedy club I'm producing. I've been getting Emails asking if Kalamazoo is a real place. I knew it's part of some legends like Timbuctoo (Which is also a real place). When ever I go somewhere else in the Country and someone asks where I'm from and I tell them "Kalamazoo" they usually laugh.

But now I realize just how many people do think it's some make believe place. Even those who know of it usually think it's some tiny town. While it's not a huge town like Detroit or New York. We're far from being a tiny village.

So I thought I'd share some facts about it. People who Email me about it seem to be interested.

------
As of the census² of 2000, there were 77,145 people, 29,413 households, and 14,353 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,206.9/km² (3,125.4/mi²). There were 31,798 housing units at an average density of 497.5/km² (1,288.2/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 70.77% White, 20.64% Black or African American, 0.58% Native American, 2.39% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 2.38% from other races, and 3.18% from two or more races. 4.28% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
--------

There's a lot of controversy about where the name "Kalamazoo" came from. But you can Click here to read more about that.

Just thought I'd share that since there seems to be some people who wonder about it.

I'm going to go have lunch with Elvis now (One of the first "Elvis" sightings in the news was here..Smile ).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I have been to Kalamazoo(or as it is referred to by folks round here: k-zoo, or kazoo) many times, so I can attest to the fact that what Ron is saying is true, and it does in fact exist. I have nothing to laugh about since I live near Ypsilanti Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Remember when Mad Magazine use to goof on Ypsilanti? I worked with a gal at the time whos last name was Ypsilanti and she took all the jokes very badly.
Steve V
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-10-21 20:53, Steve V wrote:
Remember when Mad Magazine use to goof on Ypsilanti? I worked with a gal at the time whos last name was Ypsilanti and she took all the jokes very badly.
Steve V
You actually met someone named Ypsilanti? amazing Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Yup, she's married now so her name is different but her name was Cathy Ypsilanti and she was a large nosed yet very attractive gal, greek I think. She wasn't a nice person so I made sure all the Ypsilanti jokes made it to her desk, thanks Mad Magazine!
Steve V
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ron, do you vists Tony's Timid Rabbit magic shop often? In talking to him on the phone, I understand Haloween season is his absolute BUSIEST season of the year.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I had a gal in Kalamazoo.
POOF!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 10:03, daffydoug wrote:
Ron, do you visits Tony's Timid Rabbit magic shop often? In talking to him on the phone, I understand Halloween season is his absolute BUSIEST season of the year.

If it wasn't for Tony I wouldn't be into magic now. When I was a young teenager his shop was just about a mile from my house. I use to spend all my free time (And every dollar I had) in his shop. It was like a second home to me.

I don't go into Tony's shop as often as I use to but yea I still go in there. You're right though. This isn't the time of year to go there to talk or look for magic. Tony is always busy this time of the year with the Phobia House and all the costume sales and rental. Magic is the last thing on his mind right now. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Hah I work at Big Pharma (Pf***r). We shut down the Kalamazoo site when we aquasitioned another company. I had never heard of it until then, and ever since I hear it popping up everywhere!

There we some special shirts going around about my company during that trying time let me tell you.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Believe it or not, there are actually two cities named Kalamazoo in the U.S.A.

The first is Kalamazoo, Michigan and the second is Kalamazoo, Florida, a small town in Southern Florida which I believe was named after Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
PS: Now that Halloween is over I am busy finishing my DVD. It will include twelve items from my 1976 lecture "Magic Behind Bars" and yes it will also include all of the work on "The Idiosyncratic Classic". I will be advertising the release right here on the Café.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
My tattooist lives in Kalamazoo...says hes seen you perform Ron. Liked it a lot!

Anton
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I hope to make it down there some time Ron, especially all that you've written about the yearly convention held in Kalamazoo. Besides, I want to purchase one of those t-shirts you've talked about. Hey!! You're a goodwill Ambassador for Kalamazoo!!

Come on Ron..tell the members more about the convention!!

Chrystal
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
289 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
I've heard of this place Smile
Be Young...Have Fun!
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
Hi Ron, I am from Covert, Mi. About 40 miles west of Kalamazoo. My Mother went to college there,(when Western Michigan University was Western Michigan College). When she was visiting relatives in other parts of the country, she would meet people who did not belive that there was a Kalamazoo, Mi. At that time the song "I got a Gal in Kalamazoo" was popular and no one thought the city was a real one. Next time I am visiting my parents I will go over to Kalamazoo and maybe meet you. (I now live in Seattle). I am thinking about visiting my family next summer.

Craig
craig colombel
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 10:11, kregg wrote:
I had a gal in Kalamazoo.

Congratulations. That may put you up on most of the guys on this board! Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I worked a case with a member of the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Dive Team years back. He was part of our body recovery team from a 1974 TWA airliner explosion. Our combined gallows humor and his Kalamazoo stories pulled our entire team through the first of many traumatic weeks of our careers. I don't remember his name but I remember the countless Mayberry-type stories that made Kalamazoo sound like a great place to live. I plan to visit there one of these days and try to look him up.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Future Hall-Of-Famer Derek Jeter is from Kalamazoo.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 21:26, MAKMagic wrote:
Hah I work at Big Pharma (Pf***r). We shut down the Kalamazoo site when we aquasitioned another company. I had never heard of it until then, and ever since I hear it popping up everywhere!

There we some special shirts going around about my company during that trying time let me tell you.

aquasitioned? Interesting word. Is that anything like acquired?

BTW, the Gibson guitar company was located in K-zoo for many years.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
The heritage guitar company was here too! Closed just after Gibson.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Heritage Guitar Co. was an offshoot of Gibson. It is still in operation at 225 Parsons St. in Kalamazoo. They were founded in 1985, when Gibson moved its operations to Nashville. Some of the workers didn't particularly want to go. So three of them formed Heritage Guitar, Inc.

Google the name and you will find the web site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yes there really is a Kalamazoo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL