The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Opaque Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Hi Guys,

I am in need of opaque silks. I am aware that there are different weaves of silk and different intensity of 'momme', but am unclear as to how they look. The material I need (I think it's silk) is like the stuff they use in double color changing handkerchiefs. Them material is thick enough so that you can't see through it, yet thin enough that you could stick it in your breast pocket. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find 15 x 15 squares of this stuff?

Thanks,

Ben
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ben,

I am the magicians' silk importer. Guess what? The 18" silks used for pro magicians' double color change silks is exactly the same 5 momme silk as the others. (FACT!) It is cut from the same bolts of cloth. (The 10" toy is not the same thing.)

Therefore, if opaqueness is really what you seek, my suggestion is not to use magicians' silk at all. Go to Burlington Coat Factory Outlet and buy men's pocket squares ($3.50). Lining is what you need. The skill level required to sew it is less expensive than that for thinner silk. Good silk is not the solution to all problems in magic. Sometimes all you need is a "cover".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Silk may or may not be opaque enough for what you want. It depends on the colors and momme of the silk.

Bob is right on money with trying suit linings and such. Many are more opaque and perform a lot like silk.

Send me your snail mail address, and I can send you some small silk sample weights. You could also make a double or triple silk to make it more opaque. That is what I do with Zombie foulards.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I go to The Men's Warehouse for my opaque items. Nice quality.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
When experimenting with double layering silks, try two different colors together. The results can surprise you. I frequently use red and purple together.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ben,
Did you get the samples I sent you and did they help?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Did any of you try the double layering of silks?

How did it work for you?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Opaque Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL