We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Vito Lupo smoke in glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
316 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Hello,

I have seen a spectacular appearance of smoke in a crystal clear glass.

The magician shows a glass empty and covers it with a silk. Then he "throws" smoke to the glass (which is covered by the silk) and when he takes the silk the glass is full of smoke.
I have heard that he used a gimmicked glass.

Where can I learn this?

Thanks!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi,
I do not know where you can find this effect described, but I have heard that it uses some special chemical. In Vito Lupo's hands, it is wonderful. And I like his cigarette vanish form his mouth during the routine.

Ivan Smile
Yours,

Ivan
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Vito Lupo sells his version. I think Stevens Emporium might still carry it.

Traditionally known as Smoke in glass.

There is also a chemical version that makes fumes. It is described in every chemical magic text of the past.
The lupo glass requires you hold the stem and keep the stem covered. It does not use the chemical method.

The chemical method works but makes some nasty fumes that you do not want to inhale and best used in a well ventilated area.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Hmmmmmmmmm, I'm wondering if you could get some similar effect with a lil dry ice, a mirror-glass, and some water.

A heck of a lot safer than messing with chemicals.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
cheaptrick,

It would only work to use dry ice if you are really quick about it and you will probably have issues of frost, light trails of "smoke" and sublimation. Small chunks will sublimate very fast to make the method really practical. Sure it would technically work but the logistics of the how and why are not worth the effort. The Lupo glass works just fine but you have to keep your hand on the stem at ALL times. You can not leave it on the table before or after. BUT its method for smoke works.
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
How safe is Vito Lupo's?
kingsnqueens
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
77 Posts

Profile of kingsnqueens
Hello Joao,

Viking Magic has a glass called "Crystal Fantasy" that works for this effect.

They don't have any in stock right now, but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck! Manyfingers
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi Joao (Sorry, but I cannot put that squiggle-like-accent on top of the 'a'.,) Smile

My friend just showed me a way how to do this. PM me if you would like to hear about it. It uses some chemicals that are easily obtained from any drug store/pharmacy. I don't know whether the fumes are dangerous, but personally, I am not going to use this that frequently and I wouldn't put my nose in the fumes. Smile

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
The fumes are deadly! (Chlorine Gas)
Slim Price.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Oh gee!!!

Then are there some other chemicals that aren't that deadly Smile and which may be used for this effect? I would really like to perform this too.

Ivan

P.S.: The two chemicals I was talking about started with the letters P and G.
Yours,

Ivan
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Niva,

If the "G" that you are talking about is glycerine, you have some bad information. The two chemicals in question will (usually, but not reliably) eventually burst into flame but they will not generate the quantity of white smoke that you want.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
No. I saw it being done and the glass was filled white with smoke. Really! PM me if you want to know the other chemical.

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
BLAZE
View Profile
New user
london ,England
13 Posts

Profile of BLAZE
If it's the chemical I'm thinking of, it's an oxidizer that I use quite often (when the weather allows it) and you don't need the "g". That's only fuel. Sugar works just as well (normal household, granulated) but it's a bit fiddly to work with. I only use it in the summer, in bright sunlight and out doors. The reason for this is the reaction is very temperature reliant so cold ol' U.K. is not the best country for it (you don't need hot heat, it just has to be a nice warm day). There's no toxic fumes, just a pleasant smell of candy floss is the only lingering odour.
BLAZE

I'm trying to put together a manuscript
outlining the device I use for this effect which uses a cigarette, a cigerette vanisher, and the blood pump of a halloween mask. This works brilliantly for me with the added plus that you can hand out the glass and silk for examination.

The chemicals I use for an effect where I have a match box that's closed, containing matches that I concentrate on and poof the matches inside light by the power of thought. hehe. This bit of patter is just misdiretion, (I'm misdirecting the fact that I do not know when it's going off. lol).

Becuse of the timing probs you don't know when this is gonna go off excactly so you may jump as well when it does, which adds to the effect.
that is not dead which can eternal lie
yet with strange eons even death may die
H.P.Lovecraft
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
331 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
I remember seeing Vito perform that effect and it was great. I may be getting mixed up, but he also did a trick where a cigarette lit on fire by itself in his mouth, which is a matter of touching it to two chemicals and then there is a few second delay before it lights. That was great! Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Yes Ozer, that's his act alright. He even at one time, while "throwing" smoke at the glass, makes the cigarette vanish from his mouth. He then turns his head backwards, and the cigarette reappears in his mouth.

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Just get the Vito Lupo Smoke in Glass. It is the best!
Hope all is well!

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Andy,

Can you please tell me where I can get one?

While we are on the subject, does anyone have Vito's video?

Also I have your dove video Andy... excellent!

Xavier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Vito Lupo smoke in glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL