The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Hopping Halves Tarnished (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Hello all,

I bought the Johnson's Hopping Halves set a little while ago, and when I got them they were pretty tarnished, not filthy dirty, just dark brown with no shine. I recently bought all new English pennies in like new condition. My question is will the Johnson gaffs return to a high shine and bright copper color if they are polished?? What is the best polish for copper coins?? Thanks.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3043 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Put some vinigar in a glass, a pinch of salt, and dunk the coins in the glass. It takes just a few seconds and they will be bright and shiney as new.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24052 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Use the brass cleaner called "Brasso." It works very good. It can be found at most drug stores in the cleaning aisle.
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
If you ese the salt and vineager trick do it to the new cois too and the will tarnish at the same rate as the old ones
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
So if I use the salt and vineager, should I also polish them with brasso or I wouldn't even need to?? Well anyway I'm gonna try the salt and vineager and see what happens.

Thanks
-Stevie D
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Wow, in seconds my coins went from being completely brown and dark to bright and shinny just as rowdymagi suggested, thanks alot! I wonder if it would work wonders for copper cups....

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
491 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I use MAAS polishing cream and a soft, cotton cloth. You can get it at Wal-Mart. It removes tarnish and polishes just about everything, (brass, copper, silver, stainless steel, etc.).
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
The problem with the salt an vinegar trick is it strips a minute layer of copper. if you don't seal the coins with some sort of polish they will tarnish faster in the future. that's why I suggested doing it to your new coin as well. or just polish them all
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3043 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I didn't realize that vinegar removed a small layer of the copper. I have never really noticed that they tarnished any quicker than if I polished them with a product like Brasso etc.
Thanks for the info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson Hopping Halves Tarnished (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL