The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Suggestions for a box for this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I’m working on a routine for the banana/bandanna gag: the ending involves “displaying your creation” in the “provided presentation box”. I’m thinking of a box maybe 12 inches square and about 3 or 4 inches deep - it’s the “shipping box” I take everything out of, and the “presentation box” the whole mess goes back into. I’ll drop the mushed banana in with the box flat on the table, do some stuff, and then tip the box up to show the audience. Of course, they need to see something else, rather than the banana mess.

Where might I find ideas and plans to construct a box like this? I am not an expert woodworker and have no tools beyond simple hand tools. I can paint cardboard to look pretty nice, though. 8>)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ed
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You could hinge the back of the box so that it swings outward (hinged at the top). When you put the banana back into the box, just push it out the back into a well or servante. Lying in the box is the item you wnat to show.

You might also consider a Tip Over Trunk-type arrangement, but I think it is a bit too complicated for what you are trying to accomplish.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I would do what Amos suggested, but start with a shoebox. or maybe a boot box. Go to the local shoe store and ask about extra boxes. They all have some from display models. then take your pick.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks to both of you. Actually, I think a tip over might work well with a shoe box - I was thinking too big around the base and too shallow on the side. Perhaps some spring flowers on the inside, or maybe a sponge something. All insides brilliantly colored flat black, I presume?

Ed
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Love your hat. Why don't you put the mashed banana in your hat? Then put the hat on your head. Take the hat off and spring flowers shower down around your head like a colorful wig. All it would take is a small ziplock bag for the banana. The banana in the bag acts as a weight to hold the spring flowers (attached to the bag) on your head when you remove the hat.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thanks for the suggestion, Professor. That might work better in a more surrounded venue. Part of my plan for the "display box" involves the mayhem involved in "keeping my 'creation' in place" inside the box, using large wads of duct tape and a staple gun. The kids will see me going nuts and duct tape everywhere, and the adults will wonder what's going on inside that box! Or, that's the plan, anyway.

Ed
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In that case, you might design a box like a Jack Hughes Clatter Box, which, after doing all this with duct tape and staples, you pick up the box and when the timing is right, trigger it to fall apart all over the place. If that doesn't have them rolling on the floor, nothing will.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Great thought! Probably a good way to close a show, too. Are there "Clatter Box Plans for Dummies" available? Or should I consider trying to modify a store-bought box?

Ed
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I think you'd need to design one from scratch since you want to be able to open it and insert things. The commercial clatter boxes only open once, with "disasterous" effect. There's a small (regular) clatter box used in a trick called "Poltergeist" in The Wizards' Journal #6 (on my site) if you need an idea how it works. Your version would (I guess) be larger and have a hinged door in the top with a bag to collect whatever you put into the box. Other than that, it should work about the same.
Professor Spellbinder

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thank you. I'll check that out.
Ed
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If I recall the routine, the mix up occcurs to what is supposed to be a bandanna, would not the box then be more flat, like a solid backing in a frame type set up with a flat plexi clear cover, so you can mash it in there flat and have some smush out the edges?
I would set this up in easy to clean plastics and plexiglass, and maybe even put a couple strategic holes for better smushing effects!
a quick trip to TAP plastics store or site should give some good materials just from the scrap bins!
Just a thought!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Katracy - That sounds like fun! I can hear the taped instructions:

"When you have finished with your creation, place it in between the two provided panels of clear plastic. Push the pieces to gether until you hear the snap of the locks. This will ensure your beautiful creation stays in place to be enjoyed by all. When you've done this, mount the plastic panels inside the display box and hang it on your wall."

So you visible put all this mess - including what you need to scoop up off the table - in between two pieces of plexiglas and squeeze them together, causing even more mayhem to the poor banana. Then you place this into the box and display something else.

I'll have to work on this.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Suggestions for a box for this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL