The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to start a stage show... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Put an ad in the Yellowpages.

Get yourself a website.
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Why has no one mentioned Drew McAdam's book 'Making Money by Magic'?

Ian, I strongly think that this book is for you. Do a search for it on the Café.

You will see that it is HIGHLY recommended.

Good luck and have fun, Tom
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Secrets of a Millionaire Magician by Randy Charach.

Re: finding a stage to work on . . . I scout local theatre's I would prefer to work with. It's easy to approach the manager or owner with a proposition for a new show.

I thought of it as auditioning for a restaurant gig, almost. I would perform two or three hard hitting routines for the "higher up's", while selling the idea of my show. Settle on X number of shows for a preliminary run (within 4 shows, I knew if I was able to make it at any particular location).

Be sure to mention other places you have performed with success, obviously.

If this is your first run on stage, let the owner know how excited you are for them to be involved.

Also, I always negotiated that there would be no stage fee, etc. I would take care of general marketing (to a degree, based on the show's success and exposure it garnered for the venue), and there would be a split for ticket sales . . . I had no problems going 30/70 on a $15.00-25.00 ticket. Many times, this would come with an usher or two, a few spotters, and was for a very nice theatre.

A lot of times, there would be an in-house stage manager who could set me up with a light and sound technician at a reasonable rate. If not, be sure you have your own. I had someone I worked with for quite some time, so this was not an issue.

Know your show.

Best,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Hey Jerome, or any other's, I was curious what 2 or 3 hard hitting effects you have done for the "higher ups" during a meeting/interviews. What seemed to get the best reaction and ultimately, probably the gig?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to start a stage show... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL