The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Illusion at children show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Would it be a good idea to do one or 2 illusion at a childres show. for ex. mall show, grand opening shows for like orchard or thing, librarys. Or is one of those thing use common sense. Cause I just got booked for some show next september for 2 apple orchards. I know what I am doing but I didn;t know if could use illusion. any comment bad or good thoughts.
thank
mike
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
I do not see why not. Kids see all type of magic on TV shows. Why not do some Illusions in your show.

But this is coming from a newbe in the magic world.

Good luck with your show.

SeanD13
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
No problem. kids like it when you show them some grown up magic. I do my manipulation act in my kids show and for them it is magic.
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Here in the philippines almost all magicians do illusions in childrens parties, they charge extra for the illusion.

thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Great thanks you all I appreciate all you help. I will add something to it then for the ending.
mike
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Before deciding on whether or not to include illusions in your show, find out more information about the venue. Will you be on a raised stage or platform? What will your angles be like? How many people are expected to be there?

If the venue and the expected audience allows for the illusions you are thinking of, and if the client is willing to pay for a show of that nature, then go for it.

But whatever you do, don't undersell the illusion show. The illusons take a considerable time to rehearse, transport, set up and take down. Many of them require an assistant as well who, in most cases, won't work for free. The cost of your show should reflect this additional time, effort and expense.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Thanks kent for the advice. the one place I am at is orchard there nice size stage there. everthing is out side so I was going to end doing something like modern art or stack of boxs or something that can be done surrounded. I will talk to them more in the spring. my assitent she works free sometime like I do. there all family to me that why we do it for all of us.
mike
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Mike -

First off, do you NEED to do a show with an illusion, or do you WANT to do a show with an illusion? Understand your reasons. Some people think that for larger audiences (over 50/100/200, or whatever that magic number is) that they need to do illusions. Not so.

All you probably need to do is come with a nice, professional, entertaining stage magic show. If you did this last year, and you want to be "better", just do some new, well-rehearsed, entertaining magic. You don't need to add an illusion to be "better". "Bigger" does not necessarily make a person's show "better". You don't have to be "bigger" and "better". Just concentrate on being "better" first.

I have some illusions in my shows, which I have chosen to add bit by bit over 28 years of performing. But I added them because I wanted to, not because my customers were asking for them. I routinely use regular-scale stage magic to entertain groups of 500 or less. Often times no illusions. I do offer my customers a choice of a short show with no illusions, or a longer show with one illusion at the end. This way, they do pay more for the show with the illusion. I even have a show for fundraisers that has 4 illusions in it, but for that show I charge a lot more. As Kent said, it is a lot of work (and time) to bring those illusions along, to set them up, perform them, and then pack them down.

BTW, if you end up booking the majority of your shows as the ones with the illusions in them, it's time to put up your rates. Smile

Some food for thought.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Mike,

Even if your assistant is willing to work for free (How come I can't ever get that lucky?) you need to upcharge your show if you are going to include illusions. Otherwise, you could wind up destroying the market for yourself and other magicians. Imagine if you do a great illusion show at birthday party pricing. Then, you get flooded with booking requests for a similar show at a similar price. You really wouldn't want to do a ton of illusion shows at this price. Yet, it'll be awkward to suddenly jack up your rates afterwards.

Similarly, you might put other magicians in an awkward position if the illusion show is priced too low. This might create the impression that the other performers in the market are overcharging and it might make future bookings very difficult for them.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Donald
I didn;t decide cause of the amount of people I just decide this how would like to end I am thing about the amount people. thank for advice about that I just want to try something.
Kent
I know I am very lucky. she is good friend of family and her brother runs the sound for me. it kinda of a family bussiness. I do see what you are saying I try not to under sell my self either.

I take whatgave me and put it in my show. I am always glad when people have been doing magic as a profession unlike me I been doing just as a hobby for year 24 years. it always been a hobby know that I am a little older I can see figure out what I am doing. I try to get my kids into the show once in while know to. thank everyone that has gave me great advice.
mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Illusion at children show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL