The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Giving away a rose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Wasn't sure where to post this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The birthday mom asked a special favor - to give away a REAL rose to the birthday kid's grandmother who will be home from the hospital. Party is in 3 weeks and the mom offered to supply the real rose.

In order of importance, it should be:

1. uplifting

2. Short and simple

3. Magical

Torch to Rose would be perfect, but I don't think it uses a real rose.

Thanks.

-Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
How about making a tall "square circle" effect.

You could load the rose into that, show everything as empty, get everyone to say the magic words "Welcome Home Grandma!" or whatever, and then produce the rose to thunderous applause! You'll be a hero.

Good luck. Mark. Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
A square circle would work well and even if it isn't too deap you could trim the rose a bit.

You could use Michael Modes Napkin Rose. If you play a little music, say Kiss From a Rose, while you make it, it could be pretty touching.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
There is a wonderful DVD by Monty called Rose Magic all about rose productions.
I'm sure you can find it with a quick web search.

It has several simple (and very magical) ways of producing a real rose. He also talks about how to prepare the rose and make sure it stays fresh before the show.

Best,
James
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Don't forget that Kevin James also has The Rose, on video. Copperfield performed this on one of his TV specials.

Twist a paper rose, float, change in flash of fire to a real rose.

I saw Copperfield perform this live back in the late 80's / early 90's, out in the audience, at the end of a row of seats (camera on him).

- click here for Video Demo on Kevin James' site.

Even though Kevin doesn't have The Rose instruction video for sale on his site (temporarily), you can still find it at some dealers.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I thought about the flash paper method but didn't write it down. You'll be in a living room and lighting a rose sized piece of flash paper. I know the fire at a birthday thing has been discussed before, but you really do want to be careful because it is a pretty good size flame that is created. At least check the location of the fire detector.

Derrick
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Monty's video really does provide a wealth of information for a variety of different effects using a real rose. I highly recommend it.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Eleazar Goodenough's "put" called "Step On It!" in The Wizards' Journal #9 (on my site) is suitable for the appearance of both real and artificial roses. Much cleaner than the production shown on the video above, with or without flash paper, and the arms are far away from the body at the moment of the appearance.

My suggestion is that you get an artificial rose from a Dollar Store and play around with it using the skills that you already have to see how you would make it appear for your presentation. Then you will have a better idea of just how you want to make the presentation with a real rose, either producing the fake rose first and switching it, or going from beginning to end with the real one. Roses are much tougher than you might imagine, especially in the early bud stages.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thanks for the quick responses and valuable too.
I will dive in to these resources right away. I suppose the hard part now will be what to say, since I don't have much experience with "emotional" talk. Maybe I will use some music as Derrik suggested.

Thanks again!

Mike
Mike Perrello
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I have an effect where you shake out 3 different color silks and then put them together to produce the dove. This will work as long as the flower doesn't get caught up on the silks.
Spellbinder, I will take a look at your Journal for ideas.

Mike
Mike Perrello
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
She's not YOUR grandmother. Produce the rose and hand it to one of the family to present it to her, and let them make the speech! Ask the mom which of the kids would be best for this. All you have to do is produce the rose and hand it to the kid: "This is for your grandma. Show her how much you love her when you give it to her." That should do it. Don't cry too much and for goodness sake, don't wipe your eyes on the dirty hands towel!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hah!!! The dirty hand towel would be a great kicker! Now that is funny!

Mark. Smile
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Why does it have to be an emotional thing? Why even suggest music like the Seal song? Makes no sense and it disrupts the flow of the show. Say, if you want tears bring out a small coffin, produce the rose with great drama and then open the coffin and have a photo of Grandma in it....that is emotional.

Just do a snap production using a silk, do it with a smile, and give it to the grandmother and get back to the job of entertaining the kids. If you want to say something say "this is for the prettiest lady in the room" then walk past the hot 20 year old and give it to granny.
Steve V
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
http://www.napkinrose.com/

THIS SITE GIVES THE INSTRUCTIONS

p.s. I like the pink - white & purple roses
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Steve, you'd be a joy to have around in a brain storming session.

Derrick
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mike:

I think Steve V. has got it - just produce the rose, say a couple quick and nice words while you give it to the grandmother, and then get back to the show. Really, this is the type of thing that can look cheezy real easily when you try too hard for that emotional hook.

It sounds like you have the "THIS" production scarves. I think I would try using those to produce the rose.

Ron
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
In the Linking Ring, Ed Solomon has a presentation for producing a rose (in the article, he does it while folding a napkin rose, but it could work for a real rose). This is a great presentation, with a very strong emotional hook. I do not have the date, but it was probably 2 or 3 years ago. Worth a look...
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
LOL! thanks spellbinder and steve v for the presentation ideas , that put everything in perspective. Smile

billfromeregon - Ed Solomon started writing for the Linking Ring in Aug 2004 so this should narrow it down. I'll post the date here if I find it.

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Perrello
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Ed Solomon's effect is called "A Rose Is A Rose" and is found in his "Storytelling Is Magic" column in the August 2004 issue of The Linking Ring, beginning on page 69.

Mark.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 13:36, Steve V wrote:
Say, if you want tears bring out a small coffin, produce the rose with great drama and then open the coffin and have a photo of Grandma in it....that is emotional.

If you want to say something say "this is for the prettiest lady in the room" then walk past the hot 20 year old and give it to granny.
Steve V

GREAT STUFF!!! Smile LOL
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Giving away a rose (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL