The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dunninger's Encyclopedia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Thamiel
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Thamiel
Hi Everyone,

I recently found a copy of Dunninger's Encyclopedia of Magic yesterday at a rummage sale for a few dollars. It is a fun read, with quaint and charming illustrations, actually a lot more pictures than text. There are a lot of seance-type effects; hands, bells, etc. They all seem a little archaic and transparent (not that it detracts from my enjoyment!). I was wondering it anyone had looked at this book, or adapted anything from it. I have just skimmed through it at this point.

Cheers,
Thamiel
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I have had it for years, whenever it was first published. I don't think I have ever used anything from it. It is still an interesting book to look through. I wouldn't give mine up.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
From the way it was written and illustrated (and from when it was published), I always thought it was a book intended for "lay people," to give them a sort of fun idea of how magic works. I never found anything usable in it either.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
What?!?

This is probably the best book of magic I have ever seen!

You guys are missing out...

It is full of inventive genius...

Many effects sold in shops are here in all there early stages...

It is a DIY manual of magic and contains all the classics...

The balancing ace!

Tricks of mediums

spirit writing

pocket shocking coil

how to take plaster casts for masks

look at the bottom of page 24 for example this is a secret worth its weight in gold...

people are making up this stuff, repackaging it, and selling it to you under new guises...ha ha!

I am glad I'm the only one recognises its value...

It contains more information than any other sigle magic book I own, and the drawings are excellent...

Corona. (shocked and stunned)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Corona

Don't leave out the water fountain effect.

Lots of good stuff, you just have to realize what you're looking at. Same thing goes for the Gibson book.

Tony
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Ah Tony a man with one eye in the kingdom of the blind,

Are they missing out or are they missing out?

I have had this book out from my local library many times over the years, and recently someone gave me a copy, yippee!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
The jumping spoons!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I don't have it in front of me here at my day job, but there is great material. The orange tree effect, some mentalism, several good productions. The pictures alone help inspire.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tony
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
True.

'A useful piece of apparatus' page 205...
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2006-10-25 16:34, Corona Smith wrote:
What?!?

This is probably the best book of magic I have ever seen!

Corona. (shocked and stunned)

Oh. So you didn't get my book yet, I see...

:)

No this book is an amazing contribution to the craft...changed my world when I was a young lad... seen it again for the firt time in 20 yrs. last summer... still amazed...
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Your / my book is still on holiday in Indiana, I await it with baited breath, Lucia has told me to expect greatness!

All the best, Corona.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I wonder if anyone knows this Dunninger book - I've had it since I was 7 years old.. it was magazine like - slightly larger than a readers digest.. the front page is missing and the back as well... the very first page I see has Harry Houdini on it with his sleeves rolled up - then an article about famous magicians from HH Blackstone etc to Dunninger... then a piece of Dunninger - and then a bunch of his effects with lots of black and white photo illustrations... this really implanted the magic bug in me from wayyyyyy back... I should have known I'd be a bizarrist - the effects I liked the most were the scary and weird kind - like the 'Pharaoh's Finger' ... the seance effects with luminous painted images you whip out in the dark... phantom music... etc.... the coin vanishes, the "force a card psychologically" etc didn't grab me until much later when I realized I could dress it up with a story of dark design!

This isn't the same book is it? All I know is, although very scant on description and method etc. I have encased the old tome in a leather cover of mystic design and have it on the shelf with my other prized books.....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Same book...
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Not sure it is...

Unless I have a different edition, don't see the Houdini pic?

First page after contents is 'Magic for Everybody'

It is a large hardback book published by SPRING BOOKS 1970 (year I was born).

Corona.
Thamiel
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Thamiel
The one I picked up yesterday has no photo illustrations, only line drawings, and is packed with probably a thousand effects. I haven't spent much time with it, only a cursory reading. It did seem that many of the effects seemed dated, so I was wondering what to expect; an enjoyable curiosity for my shelf, or some workable stuff. I was wondering what others thought of it. It seems opinions are mixed, I guess I'll determine my own answer after I read it more. There were numerous pages devoted to making puppets/dummies, which was interesting.

Cheers,

Thamiel
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Ok, then that's the one I got--line drawings..BUT houdini, I recall is in there too, as a line drawing, I believe.......either way, the book rocks..

ya'll gonna make me go all the way to the basement to dig 'er out once again...
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
You got a bargain Thamiel, this book costs £25 on Amazon, that's about a thousand dollars to you guys.

Corona.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Welllll, I didn't say I did not like the book. I said I have never used anything from it (at least directly). I had always assumed it was meant for lay folks, too.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Bill hold your Turban, no ones pointing claws at yu... Smile

ah, the use of a WALNUT for a candle w*** is pretty cool...............
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
By the way, the book is BIZARRE, by all accounts...still gives me the creeps...a bunch o' guys sipping matini's,listening to sinatra, and making back door mafia deals, while doing Pharoahs finger...is the impression I got Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dunninger's Encyclopedia (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL