The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dunninger's Encyclopedia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Thamiel
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Thamiel
"ah, the use of a WALNUT for a candle w*** is pretty cool"

Is that one in there? that's great! I can remember that being the first trick I did when I was a child. Walnut for the w*** and apple for the c*****, then down the hatch while my parents and siblings humoured me. I can't wait to go through it again after work.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Sorry - my memories are wrong..

page 3 Intro - line drawing of Dunninger... can't read the scrawl of the editor at the end.

4 Dunninger a biography

6 That picture of Houdini - starts the section on Magical Memories (lots of great photos - with him and Doyle, escapes,goes through all the greats... p 24 has a skeletal mummy in a case on stage... Blackstone with it - looks cool...

28 Performance Pointers

p30 starts the effects.... starts with card force

p34 is funny 1/2 page of text and 6 pics decribing THE PASS... still never mastered it Smile

p42 - levitating glass - but is a patter a bizarrist would be proud of - in fact, there are some really cool eerie stories he attaches to some of the effects

p60 the pharoah's finger

p61 where I first learned to burn sugar

Spirit writing etc

The dreaded jumping cigar band.... and the Houdini Match trick that won me some comic books etc when young...the use of stooges...how to make the face of a coin cry... initials on match... caglistro 2 person mentalism code... the cute ghost in the dark......

A very cool book....

Anyone know what the heck it is, please tell me.

(I should say all the pics are and writing are sepia) -
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I can tell you it is not Dunninger's encyclopedia...

Some of the same effects perhaps.

Sounds good though.

Corona.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
We still like you though, DR. Spektor....I do anyhow...
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2986 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hi Dr. Spektor,

Sound like: 100 Classic Houdini Tricks You Can Do (originally printed in 1954, and reprinted several times since).

As for Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic, it's a marvelously entertaining comics-style coffee-table book. Between the more far-fetched entries and the standard boy's-book stunts is far more workable material than most people realize, contributed by Flosso, Gibson, Jaks and others.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1367 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On 2006-10-25 16:39, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Lots of good stuff, you just have to realize what you're looking at. Same thing goes for the Gibson book.

Which Gibson book are you referring to, Tony? I have three.

I also have the Dunninger Encyclopedia. There is some useful stuff in there. It includes the full secret of Dunninger's Q&A act. Mine has a cover price of 30 shillings, but I bought it in a half-price sale!

Barry
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
I always wanted to make 'The Ghost Flame' on page 259 (along with many other effects), but never got around to it. I'm afraid I'm going to be arrested for buying the chemicals used in this type of trick! Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Barry:

I'm at the office right now, I'll get back with the title when I get home, but it is the big yellow one.

Tony
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 06:17, Harlequin wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to be arrested for buying the chemicals used in this type of trick! Smile

FOR REAL!!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Great, now Baba has to run down to the basement, again, to see what chemicals he is talking about. Baba, not that kind of chemical. Smile

Tony
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Thanks Neil! That makes sense!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
Baba, I'm talking about chemicals that can be used to create explosives, of course. If government agents came snooping around to investigate me for buying certain chemicals, I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time explaining some of my props! Do you know of some ritual to avoid police investigations? Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Ritual of the Roadrunner.
:)
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Neil sums up Dunninger book well, some of the effects and methods are sheer craziness, and I am sure many were just made up as he went along, but the creativity is very inspiring, and many diamonds are hidden in there...

Apparently the book is a compilation from a 3 volume set titled 'Dunninger's Popular Magic', I imagine they are very rare.

Can't seem to find reference to the illustrators though...

Corona.
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
I have this out of the library right now. I recognized the greatness in it, but haven't had the time to go through everything and pull out the most valuable ideas yet.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2863 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, okay, I can tell when I'm outnumbered... Smile

I'll pull out the book, curl up in my easy chair (after nudging the cat out of it) and peruse the book again. Sigh.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2250 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
The Dunninger Encyclopedia is great. Love the old ideas for Stagecraft. I think the book was quite well packed considering that it even tells you how to make your own Ventr. Dolls. And has a very old but still entertaining Dialog in the back, "I want to go Hooooooooome..."

I have used MANY effects from this book. I think it rates on the same level as the Tarbell collection for me.

And the Medium stuff is mean to be done in the dark. That is why it seems simple, trust me many of those effects work WELL!!!

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
I also would praise Dunniger's as a source of valuable infomation. My copy is quite dogeared.
John
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am putting up a digital copy on my website it will include notes and such. Look for it b y the end of the night...
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Dunninger's actual methods from his own act ARE in that book, even his Q & A method. You just need to learn to see gems when they are hidden within the pages. There are many amazingly good old books out there with some of the best magic that is not being done anymore because most magicians think they are "above that old stuff" BUT there has been at least one well known magician who did just that. Went to old sources of magic, found things that were not being done anymore, updated them and used them to turn David Blaine into a NAME on television.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dunninger's Encyclopedia (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL