The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Blindfold Hood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I have an idea for a blindfold hood that would cover the whole head completely, and could be demonstrated on a spectator first. I have never seen anything like what I am thinking about.
Has anyone ever seen a full over the head bag for a blindfold or even better, plans or photographs of one?
I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
Thanks,
Gwyd
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Have you looked at the "sealed vision" manuscript? In particular the "divided bag"?
Jolyon Jenkins
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
There is a technique I was taught years ago that involves layers. PM me if you want more description. The nice thing is the volunteer who comes up to try on your hood will walk away swearing that you can not see, not even a thin line of light down your chest.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I think I might be right along the same track as those that have gone before me.
I'll find the Sealed Vision Manuscript.
Cliffg, I'll be PMing you.
Thanks!
Gwyd
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I own one!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Got it all figured out.
Not an original idea, but still a cool one.
Going to use it in a really silly bit for next summer's Ren Faires.
It'll involve a sword, thrown fruit and echolocation.
This is going to be fun!!
Gwyd
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Tell us more!
Jolyon Jenkins
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
As long as no one minds me going into presentation in this part of the forum...
I am a pretty durned good swordsman, and back in college I used to practice my fencing and dagger skills by having my friends throw apples at me and catching them on the tip of the sword or knife making an apple fruit kabob.
The new act...Doing it "Blindfolded".
The twist being that I have developed my senses to the point where I can actually use sound to locate an object in flight using sound like a bat.
My partner and I call a volunteer from the audience to test the hood, and once they have verified that, I put on the hood and pick up a long thin knife.
Me- "Here is what is going to happen...Sylver will now throw fruit at me."
-Thwack- Sylver throws an apple to hit me square in the chest.
Me- "Not YET!! When I say READY!"
-Thwack-
Me- (Shakes head) "Ok..." To the audience volunteer "When I count to three, I need you to make a noise that I can use to echolocate the fruit in flight"
Spend a minute to get them to make an appropriate noise.
Count down a couple of times getting the timing all wrong being hit by apples every time. If they make the noise on "three" tell them they need to do "One two three throw, not one two throw" and reverse it if they go on the beat after 3.
Third try, they should have the timing right, but instead of an apple, Sylver throws a grape which I miss horribly.
Next (All done with the volunteer making his or her Noise), she throws one apple, then two, then three which are all caught on the tip of the blade.
Then she throws a small watermelon. I drop the knife with the apples, whip out a short sword and chop the watermelon in flight.
Smug and self satisfied, I set down the sword and lean on the table which unfortunately has the spring traps left over from the last act.
*Snap*
The end.
But it is still a work in progress and will be tweaked to bits by next season.
I'm sure I'll get as video up once it has been performed a couple of times.
Any comments?
Gwyd
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think that is a brilliant routine that the audience will eat up. There are enough goofs in there to make the audience believe you are really blindfolded. The when you start to hit, they will be shocked and drop their jaws.

Rock on!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
That's a pretty awesome routine. I'd like to see that.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Joe Pasquale uses a full head blindfold in a routine involving sausages and a card sword. He asks the victim to select a sausage at random and shuffle it into the rest of the sausages. They then throw the whole lot into the air where the 'chosen' sausages becomes impaled on his 'pork sword'... pretty flippin funny!

I like your routine gsidhe. Good luck with it.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My old friend Kuda Bux from Pakistan used the hood routine for many decades. We lost him about the winter of 1980. He appeared on television many times and shot out candle flames with a 22 cal. rifle while blindfolded and under the hood and with canned biscuit dough and bandage adhesive tape crossed over his eyes.

I still have two of those hoods. Tannen's is where the Kuda Bux hood and routine used to be sold, even into the 80s. It required that you furnish your own piece of "shirt cardboard". Few people will remember that cardboard came back in shirts sent out to the laundry back then. Wash-and-wear put an end to a common magic prop!

It's a great routine. Go for it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Blindfold Hood (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL