The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Dove Effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Guys, I am on the search for a good silk effect that, when I am done, I can crumple the silk up and produce a dove from the inside...

Any ideas?
-Vinnie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Check out Jim Gerrish's routine for the "Flip-over Box" from Book 1 of his "The Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show" (on my site). The entire routine reads as follows:

"It begins with the open flip-over box on your table. The box is closed. Reach into the large holes on each side to produce a (for example) blue silk from one hole and a green silk from the other. The doors of the box fall open and the audience sees the two silks partially in and out of the box. The two silks are removed and the box is closed and put back on your table. You now produce a red silk (for example) and from all three silks bunched together, produce a white dove.

"Hand the dove to your assistant, or put it on a dove-holding stand. Pick up the blue and green silks and tie them together. Open the box and poke one end of the blue silk through one of the side holes, and the green silk through the other. Now pick up the red silk and vanish by your favorite method. If you don’t have a favorite method yet, we give you your first.

"Display the dove, then place it into the box with the blue and green silks which remain protruding from the holes on either side. You may invite two spectators to hold the silks without pulling them out of the box. Flip the box forward towards the audience, letting both doors fall open. The dove vanishes, but the red silk reappears tied between the blue silk and the green silk. Ask one of the spectators to pull the silks from the box and hand the box off or put it away. Ask the spectator what she did with your pet dove. Receiving no answer, ask the spectator to hold the silks bunched together. Step up behind her and have her lift the silks into the air over her head. As she does so, you reach up into the silks and produced the dove right in front of her. You get dispose of the silks as you teach her how to pet “her” dove and see if you can get her to let it perch on her finger."

Jim not only explains and shows in photos how to build the box, but goes through each step of the routine. You can leave the dove out of it and just do the 20th Century Silks, but that's a waste of a good flip-over box. Similarly, you can build a flip-over box and just use it to vanish a dove or something, but that's a waste of a good routine.

Caveat: you'll need 2 twin doves and 2 twin dove holders of your favorite type. You'll also need six ungimmicked silks. Everything else is made from hardboard, duct tape, felt scraps, and glue.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Spellbinder,

Call it "dove tape", and we can charge more!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Good idea! Do you think there'd be any market for wrapping a dove up in "dove tape", and then watching it struggle free? Naah! Just a bad thought! Bad Spellbinder! Go to your room! Oh, I'm already there.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Vinnie:

There are quite a few really good silk effects you can use, but here are two that come to mind:

1. Knots of Silk - This is the effect where you tie a couple knots in a silk, and then slide the knots off. The silk is opened up and displayed, and there are a couple holes in it. This creates a good laugh, the audience thinks the effect is done, and you can produce a dove from the silk. You can do this with an 18 inch, 24 inch, or even 36 inch silk, giving you lots of cover.

2. Snap Silk Production - I first learned this from a little booklet called "Capers with Color", put out by Silk King Studios. Duane Laflin has a DVD on it, as does Marvin Roy (Mr. Electric). Jeff McBride also shows how to do it on his "Magic on Stage" series. This is the effect where you take a silk a flip it up or out, and a second silk is tied to it. You could stop there with two silks, or untie them, set one down, and do it again, producing a third silk. This process can be repeats a number of times.

Many years ago, I worked with doves and did this as my opener. I used three 18 inch silks, so it was BAM, BAM, dove. It's perfect for the dove production you're doing on the YouTube demo.

I hope these ideas help you. If you don't have them already, the Jeff McBride series and Rice's three volume Encyclopedia will give you tons of ideas and methods.

Good luck to you.

Ron
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Thanks for the help, guys! And, Ron, I'll check out the McBride stuff! Smile

-Vinnie
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Vinnie,

Volume 3 of McBride's "Magic on Stage" DVDs has a couple effects, but most of the silk stuff is on Volume 2. It's a nice starter video.

Best
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
Vinnie,
Sheridan's Genius at Work, Volume 3 has a great silk penetration that I use as a dove steal set up; works great and both tricks are strong.
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2661 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Vinnie, here is one I always use. Show a silk on both sides & now I shall produce a Dove. 1. Drape the silk over your hand & you produce a bar of Dove soap (Small box of dove soap Travel size ) show the box. Okay, I do a clean act. The audience will think the trick is done. Your right hand holding the silk can now produce the Dove! Perfect production on the off beat.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
If you are doing a b**y l**d, then almost any large silk can be used. Otherwise, a silk fountain to dove would look good.

All the best,

Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Dove Effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL