The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New to dove magic Please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Hi

I am planning to start out in dove magic. But Before I do I will need to do a lot of reserch about the subject before I start. First of all I am in the san francisco ,california area. So if anyone knows a place where I can buy doves.and if they can link it that would be great. I probably can get one at a pet store.But I was hoping to get one from a breeder becasue I know they take care of doves way better then pet stores. If there isn't one in the city... I would like a link to where I can buy one in the U.S where they can ship it to me. I am looking for a ringneck dove. don't want it to be really pricy.So if anyone can educate me or give me a link of some sort to a sourse where I can do better serches that would be great.So bascailly What it comes down to is this

1. Need info about doves
2.Where to buy one at a reasonable price
3.Cages
4.Food
5.Dove equipment for magic
6.Dove books (recondmend)
7.Dove videos or DVD (recondment)-so far I know about -doves 101 by andy amyx and tony clarks unmasked series
8. MOST IMPORTANT- Any tips on doves.or special habits they do. just any info that you have experienced over the years that you think that will benefit me.

---I know I am asking for a lot here. But I Cant find a lot on the web about these kinds of subjects.And Even a slight bit of information or any information about the subject will help me One step closer. As of now I am continuing my serch through these forums for info that I would need

Thank you for your time.
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Also for the magic dvd's what do you think I should start out with first? I seen both of them in action but on my opion I think tony clark does it more beatiful then andy.but I'm not a judging. Just wondering which dvd should I get first
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
Personally, I have found that Tony Clark's videos have been a great benefit to me. The one I learned from was, I believe, called Easy Dove Magic. Also, Ian Adair has a useful video, which if I remember correctly, is called the Art of Dove Magic.

I would recommend Tony Clark's video though. I do believe he goes over everything you need to know, including where you can get the doves from.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, all of these questions have been answered in this forum. You've got a lot of reading to do but check out as many of the posts here as you can.

Above all, make sure you have enough time to spend with your doves everyday. During training you need at least an hour a day for each bird. After that, you should work with them as much as you can. Doves are dusty so make sure you are going to keep them indoors, make sure they are in a well ventilated area and be prepared to continually dust. Doves do make a mess when feeding. They'll kick out the seeds they don't want looking for that prime seed. Clean water everyday is a must and they do require vitamins. Their nails must be clipped and regular visits to a vet are necessary. Cages must be large enough to allow them to flap their wings for excercise and move around. Nothing smaller than 24" x 24" x 24" for one bird is necessary.

Let me make a suggestion up front. Don't be concerned with where you can get a dove. That should be your last concern. Get Tony Clarks Unmasked videos, Andy Amyx's dove 101 and if after viewing them you are still interested in dove magic, get Greg Frewin's Complete course in dove magic. I mentioned his last only because of the cost. There are other resources such as the Encyclopedia of dove magic and a variety of dove videos by just about every performer out there.

Most newbie's make the mistake of getting a dove or doves first and then find out that dove magic really isn't what they want to do. Learn as much as you can first.

If you decide to continue with your dove career, don't buy them from a pet store. There are plenty of sources around the country. One excellent source is right here on the Café. His name is Dakota Rose and his doves are perfect. He does ship them.

Here's a link to get you started.
http://www.gamebird.com/dove.html
Where the magic begins
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Thanks for the suggestions guys,I toke a look around here at the Café and found that a lot of people find their dove sick of mites and lice or w/e diseaese. The fact of that happending to me is preety high in my point of veiw.But I hope it never comes to that. After serching around the Café the fact of dove diseases and illnesses scares me out of getting one. But I still have to check out some dove dvd's first is probably tony clarks unmasked series before making further decisions about having one. But I still am unclear about dove cages.still havent decided-but I am planning to just get 1 dove for now to see how it is like to have one. I don't know what type of cage is right for 1 dove and is at a low price that I can get it.IF there is a petstore link to it or anywhere let me know
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Lots of research prior to getting a dove is essential. This is also a great place to bet advice. But before you ask any questions always do a search first because it has probably already been answered.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, I think you are misreading some of the information here. Doves very rarely get diseases and the only time they don't get mites or lice very often. They are just like any other pet. You must take care of them.

If you are only looking at getting one bird, just go to a pet shop and pick one out. For one dove, as I stated above, the cage needs to be large enough to allow the bird to flap it's wings and excercise a bit. Usually 24" H x 24" D x 24" high is sufficient. There are many varieties to choose from. A cage in my area in New Jersey starts at about $30 and goes up depending on size and materiel. There are plastic ones and metal ones. Either will work.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I found a very informative book called, "Doves - A Complete Pet Owner's Manual" (Vriends). There is nothing at all about dove magic in it, but it covers care, feeding, housing, breeding, illness, and even habits and behavior.

If you can find a copy it will help. I don't have any doves but I have wanted to get into dove magic for a long time. I figure I need to learn about them before I just go out and buy some. When I bring them home I want to be prepared. I feel this is the way it should be with any live animals that we own.

Regan
Mister Mystery
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
I wished half the people who get animals for show put the thought it sound like you have regan before just buying the animal for a show.
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I went on hunting today for the dove supplies and cages. I found one that would proably be good for the dove.But its a few off by 24
link-cage

Its having a sale right now which I can get it for a lot cheaper.It looks if it has enough room for it to flap around or even fly a little bit.I am trying to fit two doves in there if possible.but if not ill just get one doveTell me what you guys think of the cages.And the sale is almost over.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, this one will work for two birds but you shouldn't pay any more than $50 for a cage. I'd suggest you just go to a pet shop and look around. Besides the cage, you need dove seed, grit, vitamins, and cage protectors. Grit is absolutely necessary and can't be skipped. Vitamins will keep your birds healthy and looking good. The cage proctector will keep mites, lice and other bugs away.
Where the magic begins
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Thanks for the advice Dave,

The did a few serches for their food and came out with http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=355......mp;-food
I'm pretty sure a lot of pet stores has grit which I can just buy.But I cant find much on vitamins on them.So far my main serch for their supplies was petco but petco don't seem to have a lot to offer for doves.So if you can help me out by linking or saying what type of food,vitamins and cage protectors you use or suggest would mean the world to me.Im still on the serch out for that book Regan suggest and tony clark's dvd. IT seems that I have jumped ahead of myself .But on the other hand I'm just trying to get as much info about dove care as possible. As for now I'm preparing to go to a petstore in serch of the items that I will need. once again Thank you all for the advice
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, instead of searching the web for dove supplies, go to the pet store and look around. All pet stores carry grit, just make sure you get the kind for parakeets, canaries and small birds. Do not get grit made for parrots or cockatoo's. You only have to give them the grit once or twice a week, or you can put a separate food cup in the cage and let them eat it when they want.

Vitamins... wheat germ is very good. At thae pet shop you see multiple vitamins as well in case they don't the wheat germ. You only need to give those to the birds about once a week. It comes to mix with seed or with water. I've found the kind for mixing with seed it best.

They do make a special dove mix if you can find it, but if not, wild bird seed will do. Just make sure whatever seed you get is very small. They cannot eat parrot or cockatoo seed. Canary seed is good as well.

You are correct though. You seem to be getting ahead of yourself. If you watch the videos and read the books that have been suggested, you'll have most of the answers to your questions. Both Tony Clark and Andy Amyx videos are excellent when it comes to dove care and feeding.
Where the magic begins
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
One thing that isn't so clear on my mind is my dove and a vet. I havent found one yet but I plan on fiding one once I get a dove.But what I'm wondering about is. How much is it going cost for a annauel checkup or even when it is sick and such. I know that my pet comes first but if its a price that's out of my hands theres nothing I can do. So do anyone know how much it usally cost to a trip to the vet whether it is a checkup or it is sick?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, again you are way ahead of yourself. Don't worry about finding a vet until after you have your doves. A regular vet is not qualified to treat birds as that is a specialized field for them. You need to look in your area for an avian vet. It's impossible to tell you how much a vet would cost to see a sick bird. That would all depend on the vet and what is wrong with the bird. As for yearly checkups, my vet charges me $25 per visit but that's a discount to me because I have so many birds and take them in groups. If anything other than a normal checkup is involved, then he charges me accordingly. Doves do not usually get sick so the yearly checkup is normally all that is needed. If you keep your cage clean all the time, keep the doves on a good diet, give them vitamins and care for them, it will be rare that a special vet visit would be necessary.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ricky,

Dave is correct (as usual) about the pet store. I believe that is where I found the book I mentioned. Good pet stores usually have everything you need for doves. The only thing I would not suggest buying at a pet store is the doves themselves.

By the way, you aren't the stock car driving Ricky Bobby are you?

:)

Regan
Mister Mystery
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Lol Regan

that's excalty what it is.

I chew big red gum.DO you chew big red gum?If not then......... ROFL
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I have came up with a list of Supplies of stuff that I will need for the bird
tell me what you think and some feedback on how you like or don't like it

1.Cage-

cage

parrot cage
They seem to be the exact same one but this second one has a perch on the top of the cage for the dove to stand on.

2.Cage protectors-cage protector
Not sure I should get this becasue I hear it acullty hurts the bird instead of helping it. But I will clean the cage every 3 days so maybe I don't need this

3.Grit-getting at a petstore

4.Vitamins
vitamins
Or
more vitamins
or
vitamins

NOTE-They all seem to be the same to me.PLease let me know if it is anything that's is wrong with the product and I should not get it for the dove

4. Mite spray

These are the things I'm planning to get.Please let me know if these are the right things to get or if I should get anything else.Or even if you think these items sucks. I am open to any constructive crititism as right now I am new and trying to learn.

As for getting ahead of myself.I have veiwed the dvds and did a lot of reserch about this subject and I think its time to Get all my supplies ready.

I thank you for your all your help. (>")>--------------->
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm finding a little difficulty with these posts. Just 3 days ago, you said you had to do a lot of research to determine if dove magic was for you. Since then, many suggestions have been given and today, you say you have done all the research and are ready to begin. In just 3 days? Most of us have taken years to do all the research required to raise and perform with healthy birds.

I have mentioned several times that you should just go to a pet shop to get the supplies you need yet you continue to look for material under Petco.com. It seems like you are looking at parrot cages and not cages for small birds. That's why you need to physically go to the pet shop and look around.

You absolutely cannot do without cage protectors if you are going to keep the birds indoors. Again, since the link doesn't work, I can't see what you are looking at but a cage protector is just a small can of chemicals that hang on the cage. These keep mites, lice and small bugs away. You need these regardless of how often you clean the cage.

You don't need mite spray unless your birds come down with mites which shouldn't happen if you use cage protectors and keep the cages clean.

I already told you what vitamins to get. The best is wheat germ but if you must get something else, get the vita sol you linked to.

I still get the feeling that you are rushing this entire process. Read books and watch as many videos as you can before you even think about getting the birds. When you are ready, a 20 minute trip to the petstore will get you everything you need.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I have to agree with Dave on this one. I have been reading this thread of posts just to follow along, and Rickybobby, I think you are rushing a little with all the things you are wanting to get. The reason I say this is because you don't have the dove yet. *smile* Its great that you are getting yourself prepared, but at the same time, if the proper steps are taken, then there are some things you won't need that you metioned, such as mite spray, and a vet. I say this because like some, I rushed into the dove scene without doing my homework many years ago. Actually, I didn't know about this site and the only thing I had was another magician friend who was getting rid of his magic items, and asked me if I would like to tour the field of dove magic. Well, being the animal lover that I am, I took on the resposibility of 2 doves that he gave to me (By the way, that was 10 years ago, and I still have them!! *smile*). He gave them to me, but at the same time gave me all the necessities to go with them explaining to me when to feed them, how much to feed them, overall, how to take care of them. I thought to myself "That's easy enough...." Well, I didn't realize at the time, that it was very time consuming. Cleaning, vitamins, water, cage room, etc.....and you have to spend time with your doves as much as possible for them to trust you. Lucky for me, they were already
"trained", but at the same time, they didn't know me, and my handling, scent, etc......After about a month, I realized that I had gotten into something that at the time I wasn't prepared for. Yes, I got used to it, and they used to me, and now, years later, its an everyday part of life, but for just getting this field, you need to understand the animal itself. Although its not hard to do, you still have to do it. Read up on doves. Find out about the animal. See that they are domesticated, and can't survive in the wild on their own. Learn how they like companionship and company. Though they aren't the smartest bird, they do have little personalities that you will get used to. I have many doves, and each one is different in the way it acts. This is known only because I am around them everyday, and know how each one is going to react to different things. For Example, one of them is scared of his own shadow, but during the show, he is a champ. I have a dove in the aviary that runs the show amongst the other doves (the Boss - his name is Hoss), and during my shows, he wants to be the pride of everything and when in his holding cage he will adjust himself to be in the middle of the doves while perching because he is the biggest and wants to stick out more. Anyhow, I am getting side-tracked, but Ricky, get to know doves. As I said, it doesn't take long, but its worth it to know what you are getting before you get it. They are pets that need attention, so make sure you have the time. Yes, birds will fly even during shows (They are birds, they are supposed to), but a person can always tell when a magician is not comfortable with his pet or vice versa because the trust factor shows in actions.

Hope this helps some, and good luck in our venture. IT'S WORTH THE TIME! *smile*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New to dove magic Please help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL