The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making Color Changing Knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17135 Posts

Profile of joseph
I would like to custom make some color changing knives. Do they sell cheap pocket knives that have removable clear covers, so you can insert colored paper, etc.?
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I once visited Jose De La Torre when he was making up color changing knives in his kitchen. It seemed to me that he was just snapping off the covers from knives and re-arranging them for the various sets that he sold. That was back in the 70's when knives were more readily available and when you could carry them on planes and in your pocket like spare change without getting in trouble.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17135 Posts

Profile of joseph
I remember Jose demonstrating his knives to me in the 70's....It would be great if someone has a source where we can find easy to "gimmick" knives, like a dollar store or the like....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I know its not ideal but what about buying the small penknives and getting some thick nail varnish in assorted colours to make the knives the colours needed?

Easy and cheap, although they may need a touch up every now and again.

Mark
Mark Daniel
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Go online to BudK, they have them bazillion little pocket knives in a box for cheap, just have to look about a bit to find them
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
471 Posts

Profile of ekins
Chazpro Magic used to sell knives that are exactly what you described. The sides are clear and can be taken off and colored paper inserted. I have a small collection of knives and saw that they were selling an entire box of these on eBay a year or two ago and bought them. I haven't hardly looked at them since I got them so I can't really comment on them now. If you're interested PM me and I'll dig them up and give you a better description. If you're interested I can sell you two or three for a good price.

-Brian
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
471 Posts

Profile of ekins
Instead of just customizing an existing knife to make it into a color changing knife you can try actually making your knives. I haven't tried it but have thought that it would be something fun to try at some time. I found this article on the web that provides a step-by-step process for creating a pocket knife.

http://www.knifeseek.com/workshop/tut_sl......rd.shtml

Who knows your knives may be the next Sanders knives. Smile

-Brian
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5416 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Very cool resource, Brian. Thanks for that! I don't know if I have the necessary tools or talent to follow through, but I enjoyed it, nonetheless.
jsilk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of jsilk7
Budk is a great site to get knives, and you can use oven bake FIMO clay for the sides
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/......tore.htm

One of my hobbies is knife making. These guy have kit where you put it together. You can get all types of handle material.

the KKWT : The American Whittler Slipjoint Kit would work best.

PS it is easy to drill out the pins and reapply your own handles to any knife.
plus it is cheaper.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2219 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I purchased the manufacturing and marketing righs of all the Jose DeLa Torre knives a few years ago... He personally taught me the correct procedure to manufacture these knives and I do know he was doing more than snapping off the covers..and replacing them with others... unless he forgot to tell me something
The source for the raw materials supplier for the great knives Jose and I have has vanished and I am on a search to find a new supplier.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2006-10-28 10:27, Spellbinder wrote:
I once visited Jose De La Torre . . . back in the 70's when knives were more readily available and when you could carry them on planes and in your pocket like spare change without getting in trouble.

Last time I looked at TSA's web site of forbidden and allowed items it said you could take a knife with up to a 3" blade. Which was a shock because they had recently been banning nail clippers. Check again before trying. I would not risk it myself. Rules change and individuals may not follow rules. I don't want to risk losing my nice knives.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
There is a book "The Complete Book of Pocketknife Repair" A cutlers manual by Ben Kelly Jr. that explains the correct proses of changing the handles.

The most important part, is the knife needs to be completely disassembled, the scales (handles) replaced the knife can then be reassembled. If it done any other way your just making junk.

There has been a couple of sets sold on ebay that were made by changing the handles with out taking them a part so the have the shields left them. This make your routine look questionable, there should either be a shield on both sides of all the knives or no shields on any of the knives.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Just my two cents.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making Color Changing Knives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL