The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Heat Acts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Hi do any of you guys no whare I can find out about heat acts like the blowtorch on tongue and licking red hot metal? I have done sume work with the blowtorch spraying it all over my arm but not as good as the original act.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Yes, there is work on that in Joe Nickell's book Secrets of the sideshow, pages 209-219, with specific discussion on the blowtorch on page 214--albeit it is very brief. There is a photo of a man with a blowtorch pointed in his mouth on page 215. He references William Lindsay Gresham's book Monster Midway. Published in 1953 by Rinehart and Company. (I haven't read the reference.)

Of course, Mircle Mongers (Houdini) also contains some discussion and the full text is available online for free.

Finally, I have a repreint of an old text called, FIre Magic by Clettis V. Munnson (alhtough I wouldn't trust it for the "real work". In fact, I wouldn't trust any of the above mentioned references for the "real work" at all).

Finally, there may be some stuff in Thrilling Magic (Abbott) on licking a red hot iron also.

Let us all know how it works out for you--if it doesn't we'll find out on the news...
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
If you don't learn about this stuff in person, if you learn about it from a book...we will see you on the news.

Fire effects need to be learned in person. Learning from a book is a very bad choice in judgement.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The Nickell book is sort-of ok. Some of the information about how to do acts is not reliable, no matter how many sources he cites.

Musson has some good information, and a lot of bad.

Houdini ghost-wrote his books, as an attempt to look intelligent. The guy wanted to be more than he was. He wrote notes on scraps of paper, based on heresay, and got others to organize them into books. Much of his information is suspect.

Stock up on aloe vera plants before you do this. You'll need the juice.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Heat Acts? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL