The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Designing the meat and potatoes of a new show.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Folks,
my time here in the Café has been some of the best I have spent. The willingness to share and the plethora of quality information is unbelieveable. And now it is my turn to share.

After some research into Silly Billy, Patrick Smith and other great kids show entertainers, I am evolving my kids show even more. I have always had a great way with kids (something I knew and others often comment upon) and now am expanding my kids repetoires since I am getting to old for cold weather busking in Canada....

Since one of the goal is designing a great kids shows is an interactive entertaining experience that allows kids to do some look & don't see, yelling, cheering and otherwise have some fun I am thinking of designing a kids show based around some great effects for kids.

The items in question are:
1. Bill Abbots Sponge Snack ( My appetizer)
2. Comedy Milk Pitcher & Ice Pick (whet my whistle)
3. Jolly rogers Ridiculous Ravioli (the Meat and potatoes)
4. The Candy Factory (Dessert) &
5. Wash it all down with a Water Vanish

I am looking forward to comments and feedback, re props etc. If you like the set, and live outside the Metropolitan Halifax area, please feel free to use the line up..
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Thanks for sharing that SeaDawg. Its always interesting to see the creative process. Sounds like a great set. How often do you change your show? At the moment I am putting together a new show for 2007 and I am trying out the new stuff on my audiences by performing a little encore or 'sneak preview' after my show has finished. I just throw in one extra trick and explain to the kids that they are among the first to see it. Doing this helps the routines take shape and it hopefully means I won't have to go out with a completely untested show in January. What water vanish will you be using? Has anyone tried Chance Wolf's Whacky Water Wheel? I used to love wizzy dizzy milk and was considering getting one of these.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Kimmo, I am tring to update a new set for the 2007 season for both kids shows and my street act.... I want to have another kids show so that I am not doing the same show off of repeats and referrals who have seen me...

My water vanish is just a styrofoam cup and a lot of presentation skills. I close with it so that I can ditch as clean as possible. I reallly make a point of stressing they must keep watching the glass even while I am drinking from my jug. When I fill my glass I make sure that they are very vocal on seeing the water go in the glass. Sticking a pencil thru the cup( Or a dagger in my case) with a flourinshing twirl just smokes them in the end.

Sneek previewing a new bit is a great way to encore and get your interactions and patter bits. It is amazing how creative your audience can be in supplying you with material, or on providing feedback on strengthening the show.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
SeaDawg,

That sounds like a fun little act! All of it will fit into one small case (one trip to the car!), bring a table, and Bob's your father's brother.

It could play for a half hour to 45 minutes, lots of interaction with the kiddies, all personality pieces so they get to know you and your character.

It sounds like a real winner!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Sounds a great line up to me, Sea Dawg! I was interested to know if the list above was your running order? I have tried using RR in the middle of my show, and have found it really works best as a closing item. Although, I would also agree that it is undoubtedly the meat and potatoes of the show, so your order could be justified. Very creative thinking there, shipmate!!
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Roger,
I havent cast the running order in stone,,,,
I do believe I am going to open with Sponge snack...

If the Ravioli seems to be untoppable, then it will be my closer...

I am always open to new ideas and bits of business that strengthen my act. And the day I stop learning is a sorry day indeed...
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1654 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
SeaDawg........if you topple the Ravioli, you will have pasta all over the floor, which can be very messy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Designing the meat and potatoes of a new show.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL