The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Submitted for your aproval » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of The Mac
You don't learn by bashing, you learn from experience and/or someone emparting that knowledge to you in a meaningful and constructive way.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Well,, I believe there were (are) many constructive ideas with a bit humor... AFTER all we are entertainers and humor comes naturally for us.... well at least to some.....

p.s.
don't get up set, buy a blind fold and watch the videos...
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of The Mac
No Curtis, you were enjoyng poking fun at at the guy. Your blindfold "joke" was un called for and unproffesional. More than that he did not ask for your critism or anyone to post a thread and mock him behind his back. don't use humor as a scapegoat
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
I actually think his style and performance is quite good for his target market, Children and Families.

Maybe you should send a press release out Curtis on how he needs to improve. Just as you did critizing Blaine. LOL http://www.addpr.com/articles/performing_arts/14041.html

I guess you're just making everything even up by critizing a famous professional and now by critizing a little known professional.
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
HAHAHAH...Smile
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I laughed when I watched the clips.

When I watch my own performances, I usually first cringe, then laugh.

It is a wonderful thing to help other people. I would not argue with anyone offering advice to Mimmo on how to improve his act - though he obviously knows other magicians, and has more illusions than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

It is also a wonderful thing to laugh - and humor is an honest emotion.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes, I made a joke as well as others, but prior, I did say a few constructive things and positive comments too... But maybe you over looked it......

Oh this is a public forum believe me I have a few post regarding me…. IT is life; if you are in the public then face the chopping block….

p.s.
Majestic12 yes, true, I am about to board a plane to see your little show so I can chop it up.... WINK...lol
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
He's a Filipino, and as far as I know he is one of the founding members of of our club The Magicians Foundation Inc. IBM ring 322. he's a family magician because that's really the market here in our country, he loves magic so much as well as all of us do. I think you should not throw jokes at the person you don't really know specially when if your joking is a co- Magician, remember, magicians are brothers.
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
To all of those who are offended and hurt by the preceding commentary, a sincere apology for you all. I am certain that Mimmo is a very enthusiastic supporter of all things magic. I never doubted that. It is obvious that he is trying his very best, and that's what is so heart-breaking to me. I do feel badly for him, for placing his video work in a public place for anyone world-wide to see. In doing so, he has invited viewer reaction to that which he has made available. As a performer, that is the risk you take every time you take the stage.

I realize that he may very well not have expected any of us to stumble upon his work. There are cultural differences which must be taken into account. And for the record, I believe that Curtis was the 1st person to comment in Mimmo's defense.

For many of us, these videos are "over the top" in terms of things that just are not working for the magician. It is hard not to comment on them.

Certainly, for those who have been offended, this topic should never have been posted.

However, the videos do serve a purpose in teaching others interested in improving themselves many performance points to avoid.

It is my hope that the younger Filipino performers, such as cardcaptor, are bringing a more modern, polished performance style to the audiences in their homeland.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I think C.Star said it the best so far. And the more I think about this....

Let mimo read this,,, He may have a few tears, and then he will look at his videos in a new light.... Then he will be 10 times better,,, Every time I watch my videos I improve in a way and I am sure many others do too…......

I know not every situation and performance is the idea place. So you may win some and loose some... BUT the less suitable performance you do not post in a public forum.... You file them under your oopsie file…

P.s.
Chris did you get those new illusions that we spoke about a few months back?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I made mistakes during performances 30 years ago that people laughed at me for.

I am no doubt the only person on the planet who remembers those things and I remember with horror.

But I can promise you I have not repeated those mistakes.

I did not laugh because I thought it would help Mimmo. I laughed and made a joke because it was funny to me. If that's immoral - so be it - I'm immoral.

But, I promise you, as an entertainer, it WILL help the man. As entertainers we have to be able to accept that we will be laughed at when we make mistakes - not take it too hard, and learn from it.

BTW - I still make mistakes - and people still laugh at me - but in my old age I don't remember so well.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hi Mr Curtis,

FYI Mimmo was there at the gallery cheering for you in support of your mall show here in Manila. You were not exactly perfect but you were not bashed online by the local magic community of the Philippines. In fact all you got from us were praises. I think it's unfair for someone to make fun of a fellow magician, a brother in the art.

We will always see performers doing things we may not like or things we will not do in our own act...but making fun of someone in an ONLINE FORUM where the world can read it might just be inappropriate.
Mimmo is my good friend and a criticism is nice but an insult is different.

I also have You tube clips...I'm not as good as Mimmo nor anyone in the Café but I will certainly feel bad reading stuff I've just read about a friend. Imagine what Mimmo will feel and you expect us to invite him here.

Next time you're in Manila, bring the blindfolds.

WANLU
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I also watched your show here in the philippines, like my friend wanlu said, your show is not that perfect but you get a lot of praises here from OUR fellow magicians, being a magician that attitude is not the right one to have, we are all artist here and we should have respect in someone's performance/acts.

Next time you're in Manila, I'll stay at home and sleep all day.

CardCaptor
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
You all made fun of the guy, you all had your great laughs...you're all probably better magicians...but I just have to say that this thread shows how people think they can always get away with their nasty remarks...

...in case you don't know, Philippine magicians have computers too and we go online too. Here in Magic Café, we have a good number of Filipinos who happen to be good friends of Mimmo.

We all have things to say against Mimmo (yes including me) but in an ONLINE FORUM???

This is nothing personal against all of you who posted in this thread and made fun of the guy...but I don't think Magic Café should tolerate such kind of posts.

We are a Magic community...an International Brotherhood...a Society...

If we post online jokes and nasty remarks about someone everytime we see something we find inferior...we might lose friends faster than we can possibly think.

Mimmo has a family, a wife and two children and his livelihood is doing Magic. I don't think you are helping him by posting such remarks about his act.

I apologize to all of you but I just had to post this...

You all have a magical life

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I am still trying to find out what is so funny about Mimmo. Been there - done that.
Max
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
At least I know what I can look forward to when/if I post my first performance clips on here. Can't wait to get my beans roasted at the Café. Hey!.. what a great promotional T-shirt for the Café. "Get your beans roasted at The Magic Café".....coming soon. I'll have to work on a shirt idea for the ladies. This site should be an equal opportunity bashfest.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I just think it's so sad when someone who finds his act, routines, moves, equiptments etc superior will even bother to view an act he finds inferior and after watching it, takes the time to post constructive ideas at first then after awhile start posting nasty remarks.

Then goes back to check on the topic and when he thinks he got away with his insults...he posts more nasty remarks.

Then when people start asking about his nasty remarks, he explains that he did post constructive ideas first...instead of an apology.

This topic will be stormed by Filipino magicians real soon... your fellow magicians who will cheer for you anytime anyone of you will be here in Manila for a gig. Our malls do hire foreign magicians regularly and you won't see blindfolds but welcome banners...no boos but hurrahs!

Why, not because you are better but because you are fellow magicians and brothers in the art...

Posted: Nov 8, 2006 11:34am
------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-11-08 10:21, Wanlu wrote:

You all made fun of the guy, you all had your great laughs...you're all probably better magicians...but I just have to say that this thread shows how people think they can always get away with their nasty remarks...

I apologize, not everyone made fun of the Mimmo Videos...

... and I admire our fellow magicians who defended a fellow magician not because he knows the guy but just because he is a fellow magician regardless af nationality...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Hmm Okay...
In my opinion this is the best place to laugh about bad performances and bad performers. Here you are with friends and colleges that all have the same passion.
When I am wearing the must horrible sweater and everyone laughs about that I would hope one of my friends would tell me in the face to burn that sweater right on the spot or walk further as the nerd with horrible clothes.
These people here will also be the ones that will and can help you with good advice. You MUST be able to laugh here and you MUST be able to tell a view jokes about things that are nog good. And when you place some video's on Youtube you MUST be aware that some people will give negative reactions... I think everyone will agree that Mimmo has some things that look well not good. He also has some presentations that are well like watching a horror movie. But he also had some very great ideas, some good presentations.. And the fact that he builds most of his props himselve... He learns a lot from his own experiences. The next swordbox he builds will be completely different. That's because he knows... He will not make the same mistakes again...
So please give everyone the space to laugh and after that give good advice....
I myselve are not a performer. I'm a builder. Perhaps I could give him a bit of advice but before I can do that I also must be able to tell what he did wrong with the construction of a couple of his illusions. At this moment I think I would be fryed by his friends when I tell something negative about Mimmo... So I will can only say that I hope to see a couple of movies from him in the year 2010...
Gr, EVI
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I'm wondering if any of these 'friends' have bothered to point out the problems to him?

Their belief that they have a right to tell the rest of us what we are allowed to find funny, suggests to me they practice a rather unhelpful self censorship.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Finding something funny and laughing at it is natural...but finding something funny from a fellow conjurer and insulting him in an ONLINE FORUM is slander!!!

Oh yes...Mimmo will be here soon and yes he will find the criticsms very helpful but I think the nasty remarks will hurt the guy's feelings badly!

WE all have rights to find something funny but posting such remarks that will hurt a fellow magician's feelings is just not correct. Im just Mimmo's friend...but I felt how you people (not all of you) made fun of the guy. I can just imagine how Mimmo will feel when he finally reads your posts.

FYI, this is the first time I've seen his videos as well. I've never seen him perform those Illusions live... he has his own character and style, maybe not as good as Curtis or MCM but that does not give us the right to make fun of his act.

WE will always find performances not suitable for our own personalities...but if we malign people everytime we see an inferior act,then post your videos too so that you will get your own stones throne at you...and let's see how you react. It's so easy to say that I'm prepared to accept criticsms, but "Blinfolds for sale...$5...and watch Mimmo..." is not criticism...it's an INSULT to a fellow prestidigitator.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Submitted for your aproval » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL