The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Two new standard silk sizes for magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For the last forty years, the standard size silks sold to magicians were 9", 12", 18", 24" and 36". With toy companies getting into the market, 6" silks were made available. Later, diamond-cut silks also became standard fare. The best sellers are 18" to working magicians and 12" to trick manufacturers. Professional stage magicians tend to use mostly 24" silks and some 36" silks.

As the importer, size only matters to me if it's what the market wants.

There is a new size being used by magicians. Frankly, the originals we imported were for costumes for dancers. (Dancers actually make up the bulk of the streamer market.)

The new sizes are 36"x72" and 36"x108". In real silk, one takes about the load space of a deck of cards, and the other about the size of a pack of long cigarettes. Once produced, it is easy to hide a human behind one. (Dancers have been doing it for centuries.)

Performing stage magicians are beginning to add them to their prop inventories. I just thought you might like to know what is changing. It may even fit what you do. I'm sure they aren't in the catalogs for magicians yet. Dancers have used them for many years. If you use a costumed assistant, it offers many options not in Tarbell.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Two new standard silk sizes for magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL