The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review--Millard Longman's Acidus Globus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Millard Longman, father of Acidus Novus, has released one of his most treasured secrets. It’s an innovative billet peek called Acidus Globus (AG). AG is a FULL billet peek with absolutely no restrictions as to where to write on the billet. That’s right, no restrictions. Produced by Loren Tindall, this DVD teaches Millard’s pet peek technique that he has kept to himself for several years.

The DVD starts off with Millard demonstrating a typical performance of AG and then showing the mechanics of the peek. Millard then goes into a bit of the history of AG and how he got to the point of creating it and some important philosophical points that relate to AG. There is a switch taught here that is within the context of the discussion and is very deceptive. The switch is not necessary for the peek at all, but given as part of the historical /evolutionary and is another tool you can use if you so choose.

Loren and Millard discuss some very good tips such as where to hold the billet in relation to your line of sight and why (out of conscious perception), and how to handle angles, giving the billet back, what if someone is burning your hands, and much more.

One of the most important discussions on the DVD is how to engage the audience. This also includes a discussion of human behavior. Very, very valuable to the performer who wants to seem natural in performance. I found this one of the most interesting parts of the DVD.

The two performers also discuss the reasons for the actions of AG, and they get into discussing real psychometry. It seems to me that they went off on this tangent naturally and I am glad that they did. It’s almost like a bonus to the purchaser. Even if you don’t want to learn psychometry, it is very nice premise for the effect. Millard uses it and so do I.

After the peek is shown and explained and the tips are given, there are close ups over Millard’s shoulder explaining the mechanics in further detail as you see him make the folds and the peek. During these close-ups, Millard shows and discusses both the landscape and portrait orientations of the billets. In addition, he goes into various types of paper, sizes and orientations. Millard discusses the pros and cons of each type billet used. He goes into the opening and closing of the billets with several more tips on handling. All of the “paper” is card stock of various types. I don’t know that AG would work with regular paper.

During this section, Millard teaches a two handed version that is outstanding! I was a bit wary of a two handed move, but when I saw it, I loved it. Why is it better than one handed? To me, it looks even more deceptive (it is, among others, shown from the front as well). Whether you will use the one handed or two handed move will depend on your preferences as well as the circumstances.

Millard teaches the two handed switch from earlier in the DVD, but in greater detail than before. He shows two ways to mark the dummies that are quite easy and deceptive and he includes a table pick up that will get you into position for the peek.

The DVD continues with Millard teaching from stand up position a switch , open and read from pocket position ( a la Cassidy), how to open a mis folded billet, Q & A using Ag with a nice ending to the routine and a design dupe with AG.

The wrap up includes some more ideas with Q&A And a few more tips and ideas.

Let me say that in the ad, it says that no switches or dummy billets needed. That is 100% true. Millard gives the switch only for completeness of the evolution of AG, and teaches it only for completeness (same with marking the dummies).

Millard is a fine teacher and all is explained exceptionally clearly.

I felt as though I were sitting in Millard’s home in the chair facing Millard and Loren. Excellently presented.

AG is a bit angly, so you will need to practice in front of a mirror, like we used to do with the coin moves. It is well worth the effort.

As far as production values go, this DVD is not studio quality, but it is fine. Although shot by Loren at Millard’s home, everything can be seen and heard clearly and easily.

Millard Longman’s Acidus Globus is advertised as the Holy Grail of billet work. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But I tell you from experience, it is ***ed good!!! (I used it in performance Saturday night).

I highly recommend it!!!!

$180.00 USD PP from Loren Tindall at: http://www.mevproshop.com/index.html
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review--Millard Longman's Acidus Globus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL