The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning cards identity help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
I was hoping someone here could help me identify these fanning cards. They seem to be quite old, half the pack is red back and the other half is green back. They have gold color highlights and are tapered. Several people have suggested that they are cardini cards, yet all the ones I have ever seen had swans on them.

I have had these for many years. I have a small collection of fanning cards. I just always thought they were cool. Any help identifying these would be appreciated.

Thanks
Erich

Click here to view attached image.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
My initial guess - by looking at the background - that (I believe) is Mt. Fuji; the rising sun further convinced me of this.

The conflicting image is the person standing there. The feather (?) made me think of a Native American.

Sorry if I just confused you more

Derek Merdinyan
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
The picture on the back is an indian (native american) woman. The mountain, sun and the pine trees combined with the woman give a whole native american feel.

The ace of spades says "Alf Cooke Limited" "Universal Playing Card Co." "Crown Point Leeds".

I guess I am just hoping for some hardcore collector to see them and know exactly what they are.

Thanks
Erich
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
I think you will that Cardini did use a deck like this for fanning.

Darn, I hope I am right - where is Jeff McBride when you want him!!!!!

Best of,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
The fanning deck that Cardini used in his act was quite different from your cards. His act decks were purchased from Walgreens and had the "Peau-Doux" label on them (a Walgreens house brand pronounced Po-Do).

In the late 1960s, Cardini was selling his hand-made reels and fanning decks to other magicians.

Among the “Peau-Doux” cards, Cardini also sold the Art-Deco Indian decks that you have in your possession.

Levent
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
World of Playing Cards wopc.co.uk might be able to help you.
POOF!
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
Thanks Levent. That makes sense why so many people thought they were connected to Cardini, but them being different from the ones in his act. I wonder if they are collectable or have any value?

Hey kregg, thanks for the link. very interesting site.

Erich
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
189 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Hi Erich

Just spotted your posting while looking for something else. I know the posting is old!

These cards are British and were sold in the 50's and 60's in a department store called Woolworths.

By complete chance they were good for card fanning in order show colour changes and they were made for the lay public for general use. It was not really until later when the likes of Max Andrews and Harry Stanley made specially printed decks for the UK magic market.

regards

Scott
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Joe Cossari used the Indian fanning decks in his act. The photo shown at this link
http://tinyurl.com/mvegbb3
is from a performance he presented when he and Dai Vernon lectured in Norfolk, Virginia. If my memory is correct, he was using decks prepared similarly to the "Fan Finale" routine that Lewis Ganson wrote up in _Routined Manipulation, Part I_ pages Forty-one to Forty-nine. The perfect alignment of the top and bottom halves of the double fan suggest that method also.

Joe may have used the Indian decks rather than his own custom-designed fanning decks because he had put together the Indian decks before his own was designed.

The photo was taken by the son of an IBM Ring 103 member (John Gannaway) who attended the lecture.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Scott mentioned that "It was not really until later when the likes of Max Andrews and Harry Stanley made specially printed decks for the UK magic market." I have two different fanning decks designed by Dr. Zina Bennett that were specially printed for him--one the Zinab deck and the other a double-sided fanning deck with the letters "ZBB" (for "Zina B. Bennett") in a circle in the center. I think the decks were sold through Abbott's Magic Company in Colon, Michigan.

And speaking of Joe Cossari--I heard fantastic things about Joe's fanning routine under UV blacklight but never got to see it. Does anyone nowadays do a blacklight fanning routine? Those cards must have been either custom-printed or hand-painted.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Great photos Sonny! Thank you for sharing them with us! Yeah, I suspected Cossari prepared those two decks. That double tiered fan looks too perfect.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm guessing, too, that since Joe is using two different Indian decks (one with a green background and one with red), he's using another tip that Ganson mentioned in the "Crazy Fans" section from _Routined Manipulations Part I_ in the section subheaded "PREPARATION":
-----quote-----
Apart from the application of Zinci Stearas the two decks are unprepared but for ease of handling it has been found that forty cards only from each pack should be used.
(page fifty)
-----unquote-----
That makes for a total of 80 cards in the double fan--forty in the bottom section and forty in the top section! That makes the designs not only smoother looking but--especially in the unprepared deck routine--helps somewhat in controlling the double fan so that cards will not slip out of alignment as the fan is made. This is a tip I passed along in my 1990 _Art of Card Manipulation_ instructional video. (No relation to the video series by Jeff McBride.) In actuality, though, using forty cards in the bottom tier and maybe thirty-six cards in the top tier will insure that when the weave is made the top tier will be sandwiched between the cards of the bottom tier.

----- Sonny
P.S. I mentioned that gluing the two decks together makes the double fans a breeze. A friend of mine--the late Rudy Wilson from Virginia--who did the gimmicked deck routine included an extra touch that threw some folks off guard who may have wondered about the perfect alignment of the double fans: Rudy included one loose card in the top half of the gimmicked deck so that when the double fan was made, one card would slip slightly--giving the impression that _all_ the cards in the top tier were ungimmicked. This is the principle in magic that Henry Hay called "association"--if one card in the top tier is ungimmicked, then all of them are "seen" by the audience to be ungimmicked. I don't recall Joe or Ganson suggesting the use of one loose card.
P.P.S. Here's another tip: When I made my gimmicked "Fan Finale" deck, rather than glue (which is messy and takes time for the glue to dry) I used double-sided (i.e. "sticky on both sides") Scotch(tm) tape to make the deck.
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Anatole
One more tip from my video for anyone who wants to do the "Crazy Fans" routine from Ganson's book with ungimmicked decks: Make the fortieth card in the half of the deck that will be the bottom tier a short-corner card. Then when you thumb riffle the deck, you will feel the short corner card go by and you will automatically be able to separate the two halves perfectly! No guessing/estimating required! I make the non-index corners a corner short because that is the corner that is thumb-riffled when the deck is held face-down in the left hand.

Also, I sometimes reverse the top half of the deck when I weave the cards together so that the bottom tier is face down and the top tier is face up. Then when the double-fan is made, I make the fan with the face up top half toward the audience. The double fan gets some applause all by itself. Then when you turn the fan so the back of the top half is seen, they see the fancy design!

I end my double-fan routine with a cascade of the woven deck into a top hat or champagne bucket. This cascade is something I learned from Jerry Andrus and was included in his book _Andrus Deals You In_--a book that has some nice flourishes--including table spreads--that aren't usually found anywhere else. Andrus's book is not exclusively devoted to flourishes, but what he teaches there is worthy of study by anyone who does flourishes. Denny Haney lists it on his webpage:
http://dennymagic.com/store/andrus-deals......282.html

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Here are the URLs for some of the stage/manipulation videos I have placed on facebook. (The videos are a little grainy because they were meant to be viewed in a small window. I digitized them back when 14.4 modems were the high speed connection to the Net.)

1. Spring flourishes; note how the deck magically rising from the card case thanks to Lou Tannen's "Pack Full of Pep" from _Tarbell_:
http://tinyurl.com/ppbu395

2. Exhibition card fans (using the Zinab deck to start them with a magic effect)
http://tinyurl.com/opqdanj
Again I insured that the exhibition fans started with a magic effect--cards fanned blank on both sides change into a deck with colorful backs and normal faces.

3. Card fan productions (very brief to show back-and-front acquitment
http://tinyurl.com/oqkc8zx
(the newspaper is customized from Toshio Akunama's self-opening card castle; at the end of the routine, the newspaper is taken out of the stand and when it is opened a card castle automatically springs up; I don't think the Akanuma castle is available any more)

And some non-card manipulation effects:
4. Interlocked rainbow ball production
http://tinyurl.com/om2zcka

5. The Enchanted Walking Stick (my dancing cane routine published in _Linking Ring_ last year)
http://tinyurl.com/pt3l78f
(Note that this routine is done under full lighting in front of a light-colored backdrop)

6. Third Millennium Silks (published in the August 1989 issue of _GENII_):
http://tinyurl.com/ny86h6f
This is a very streamlined version of 20th Century Silks.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fanning cards identity help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL