The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Protecting yourself and the children you perform for (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
There are several ways that I have used, or am planning on using, to protect myself and the children that watch the shows.

First, I explain the rules of the assembly to the students and teachers. Surprisingly, I have more of an issue with the teachers than the students. I call my rules "The Learning Position". In these rules, I explain what expectations I have for the students and the teachers, and how I choose my helpers on stage. These rules have taken care of about 90% of the problems that I have had in the past.

Second, I refuse to use any restroom that a child can access. Some may say it's not a big deal, but I can just see what parent could explode when a child goes home and says, "Hey MOM!!! I saw the magician in the bathroom!"

Third, (as some have mentioned before) I refuse to be left alone with a group of students as there could be rumors or stories that may start up down the road, and I don't want to give those a chance. In some schools, you have to say that you're not a credentialed teacher. If you say that, the school normally makes sure that someone is present.

Fourth, (I haven't done this one yet, but it will be done!) is to get a MiniDV camera and start to tape your shows. This is just for 'insurance' purposes; so that if someone wants to press the issue, you can just go back and review the tape.

Fifth, have an ID badge made up; so that when you walk in the door, they can see your badge with your company logo on it. You could have your rules, or at least the big ones, posted on the backside of this badge.

Common sense is a wonderful thing, but only if everyone uses it! I have been in many schools and heard stories of performers past do some 'questionable' bits in their shows. Makes me look bad, as schools sometimes lump everyone together!

Robert
It's time to make learning FUN!
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention - When it comes to touching the students, I make sure that I only tap them on their shoulders or the tops of the heads (tapping their head with a finger to get their attention for a routine). When it comes to hugs, God knows some of these kids need every hug they can get, I try to give 'high fives' instead; as this is very acceptable in most venues. I do get ambushed from kids giving me hugs, and I just normally raise my hands up a bit to make sure everyone can see my hands and make sure that nothing is inappropriate.

Robert
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well said, Robert.

Often, you can quickly change the hugs into high fives, and then the others will follow suit.

I don’t really see it as a PC craze as much as I see it as just being good policy. It’s so easy to just tell the parents before hand that it’s your policy that an adult be there. People never question policy. In order to not make it a personal thing, at my day care, when there’s a problem with a parent, I simply say, “That’s our policy.” Never had one person get mad, or even question me about a policy. They can't, that's our policy. May change it later, but for now, that's our policy. Smile

It’s not really just the protection. This policy provides you help should things get out of hand or something happen. You don’t know one kid from the other.

But more important than anything, having a policy like this helps protect the Children. We set an example for other entertainers (believe it or not there are some bad people doing magic), and we also send a message to the parents that they need to watch their kids.

I, personally, have never had parents not wanting to watch the show, but I would have no problem in telling them to stay, shut up, and enjoy the show.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Protecting yourself and the children you perform for (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL