The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to go pro? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Graydini
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Graydini
Hi everyone, I’m not new to magic; but I am transitioning from amateur to professional, and am not sure where to put this tread. I am going to be making my living from close-up magic and I basically need to know everything that I need to know (apart from the actual magic part). For the sake of this discussion, presume I don’t know anything apart from reading, writing, arithmetic and of course the art of magic. I’ve never had a job in “the real world”, and I don’t know about taxes except that they exist and I will have to know about them. I need to know what I need to do legally to be a professional magician, if I’m to advertise. And, besides word of mouth, what’s the best way to market to parties, events, grand openings, etc…

I’m 20, moved back in with my parents (I need to start making a contribution), and live in Redding, (north) California, USA. If any of that makes any difference.

Thanks for your input,
God Bless,
-Grayden
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Don't worry about taxes now. Start making some money first. For that I suggest you take a look at Andrew Mayne's 50 Ways to Make Money with Magic - http://www.weirdthings.com/downloads.htm

Marketing is key, so consider some biz cards and get them out there. Put them up on your local grocer's billboard, bookstore, start performing casual magic everywhere (don't be a nuisance though) and when anyone shows interest hand them a biz card and tell them you might be available for an event. I wrote "might" because you don't want to sound desperate ... no one likes desperate.

Work on your look. Make sure your hands and fingernails are clean when performing. Smell nice (don't overdo it). An old hipster once said "dress like you're going somewhere better later" ... good advice.

Work on a couple of routines, but be flexible. adapt to who you're performing to.

Workout all the more serious business stuff later on. Start bringing in some cash first.

And my last advice is to go out there and win ... what else is there to do anyway?
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
As a close-up magician, as I am, there are limited ways to make a living... corporate and private parties, hospitality suites, trade shows, restaurants, and bars. Start developing some killer routines and get some performance experience. Buy Jim Snack's course Sucess in Magic and follow all of his advice.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Graydon,

The one thing that many who try their hand at making a living at performing forget is the second word is SHOW BUSINESS. Many may be extrememly talented as performers but they fall down at the business part of it and that is why they usually fail at making a go at it. You need to make out an actual year plan as to how much you need to make (minimum), how much you will charge, etc., and then plan out your plan of attack. You need to market yourself continually, sending out promo, making cold calls, setting up appointments and then meeting the people to sell them on your services, and you need to do this every day. being a professional does not give you as much leisure to learn the trick of the week, etc., and instead you need to focus on getting the next gig continually. Making new promo on a regular basis is also a necessity, web sites, telephone adverts, all take time.

The plus sides are great too. Working for yourself, allowing for may write-offs from tax (including props, clothes, drycleaning,, telephone, and so on) and making a living from something you love. I can honestly say that I have never looked back. If you drop me a line at my regular e-mail address of paul@mindguy.com I will send you an essay from my book that details some thoughts on going into this as a profession.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Graydini
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Graydini
Thanks for the advice guys; I can see that the Jim Snack course is really going to be useful. And I also ordered “50 ways” but it’ll take a few days to get because of the payment system.
I do want to clarify though that I have started getting paid as a table hoper, and have done one special event for Gottschalk’s. While I’m not getting much now ($30 for 3 hours on Saturday for table work, and $85 for a 3 hour event) I will be getting more soon, and I just need to know what legal issues are involved in making my living from this.
I do magic every chance I get, and have a reputation for astounding everyone. Also long before I was getting paid I would dress the part (if not for looking good, than for storing props in my suite).

Thanks again guys,
God Bless,
-Grayden
Graydini
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Graydini
Thanks Pual, That was the kind of response I was looking for. You must of posted it while I was replying to the first two. That's what I need to know, the Business end of things.

Thanks,
God Bless.
-Grayden
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Grayden:

Get you a notebook and start a "profit-loss" sheet.

Keep a log of every show you do, the mileage traveled and how much you were paid.

On another sheet, keep track of every dime you spend on magic equipment, plus any expenses related to your performances.

When tax time rolls around, there's a simple business form you can fill out, or if you really hit the big time, your accountant can do it for you. But he'll need all the info in your "profit-loss" book.

Good luck,

Jim
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I second Andrew Mayne's book. great tips!
I agree that marketing is crucial. I have business cards of course, but I also printed a few posters for my first video premier at a local coffee shop.
posters are great for getting peoples' interest.
great advice ALEXANDRE gave you.
good luck !

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to go pro? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL