The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » New Item: (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
What do you guys think about this for a mostly-girl birthday party?

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/product......tem=7767

Is it hard for mom to clean up afterward?
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I would never do anything that causes the birthday mom more work. This is just one more problem for her to handle. Although it is a pretty effect, even in most halls, they have a no confetti rule because it can be very hard to clean up. On carpeted floors the trouble becomes increases as opposed to hard floors.

An interesting note is that girls are all hearts and flowers. I have done all girl parties before and at one I decided to do an effect with a bug that gets squished with guts splatting around. This turned out to be their favourite trick. This trick is now a staple in my birthday act.

Don't stereotype kids. I would personally do the show you are used to doing (since this will be the best you can do as you know all the material frontwards and backwards...at least you should).

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with trying to corner the market and specialize with unique parties.

The best question you have to ask yourself is, are you willing to do all the cleaning up afterwards, not the client? It is your mess. If you are okay with that image for your business than ok, but if you are not then don't use it.
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 08:27, mrbilldentertainer wrote:

Don't stereotype kids.

Ummm, I wasn't, but if you plan on doing this for a mostly boy party, well...you have issues dude!

I specifically asked about the clean up issue. Please answer that if you have used this actual item. You shouldn't assume. If I can personally clean it up in under 5 minutes, then you underestimate the power of this effect I think. It's not exactly confetti. Thanks for your suggestions though.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
No I haven't used this exact item. I have used confetti before. From my 24 years performing experience I have learned I have to assume certain issues on the part of my clients. I have to assume that I shouldn't do a trick like the knife in arm illusion at a child's birthday complete with dripping blood. I have never done it, but I assume the parent wouldn't like the dripping fake blood on their carpets so I wouldn't even ask and make myself look incompetent.

I have to assume that it is not the best idea to hand out food items at gig. I have to assume their is a possibility of a child having food allergies.

I still stand by don't stereotype kids. I have had many boys ask for flower, butterfly and heart balloons and facepainting.

I have answered the clean-up issue and gave you clear reasons why not to use the item.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
MagRab, I personally avoid confetti. My issue was not with the litter mess as it was fairly easy to vacuum up and I never heard a complaint from any of the parents...in fact, they enjoyed the effect on the kids. My problem was one of liability. After searching high and low I have never found a light confetti that was absolutely color-safe.

Kids carry drinks into rooms, they track in water, their little hands sweat when they play...and the slightest moisture will transfer the color from most of these products onto clothes, carpets, wood floors, concrete and upholstery. This coloring is HARD to get out. I once tested a plastic confetti that was guaranteed color-safe. It worked well under nominal situations...but, left to sit in water for any length of time (say on a deck as it rains or in a small puddle of spilled drink) and the result was the same - color transfer.

I think the concept is incredible. It would be a GREAT effect for a little girl's party...but, look closely at your liability before taking that leap. The voice of experience!

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
How do you know one of these won't go flying into a nearby candle? Theatre, maybe. A house party, no.
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 09:06, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
No I haven't used this exact item....
I have answered the clean-up issue and gave you clear reasons why not to use the item.

Thanks. I mean that. I got your point the first time.
My point was you have NOT used this item and therefore cannot answer the question.

And again, I didn't stereotype kids...yes a boy will ask for a flower balloon, that's different than creating a flurry of pink hearts in a room of 30 twelve year old boys. If you can't see that, then I question all your "experience" I too have over 20 hard earned years in this field, and would NEVER consider doing this at a boy party! C'mon, use common sense dude.
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
I think the cleanup issue is the one most parents would have a problem with. That would be the only reason I would not do it.
Pete
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Thanks Skip, now that was some sound advise that makes perfect sense!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Sorry you are misreading me. My fault. I am not meaning to say that you are stereotyping kids. And I agree that a room full of boys and pink hearts may not be the best choice. I was just pointing out that one has to be open about things and not pigeon hole kids in the guns and ammo for boys and the princess for girls thing. You can have problems.

I have encountered such a problem. I performed for this all girl party (this was about 18 years ago). As part of my service I did a hot potatoe game where I made it so the birthday person would win. The prize was at this one was a stuff animal. Something I thought the girls would like. I learned after that to ask the parent the likes and dislikes of the child. When I arrived at the gig, the little girl was having a GI Joe party. She wasn't into the fluffy stuff. OOOOOPS.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 09:34, phaddad2 wrote:
I think the cleanup issue is the one most parents would have a problem with. That would be the only reason I would not do it.
Pete

Once again, we turn to the issue of individual creativity. If you develop an effect that wows the crowd but creates a problem do you abandon the effect or find a creative solution for the problem? IF I were MagRab, I would first ask if the confetti was color-safe. THEN, order a test packet and run it through some extensive testing in my own home. If this left me satisfied that the product was color-safe, the only remaining problem is the "clean up."

"Whoa! Where did ALL THOSE HEARTS come from?!? Tell you what...on the count of three...the girl who collects the MOST hearts and runs them up to me wins a prize!! Let's see...you have one-two-three...SO MANY HEARTS! Okay! EVERYONE wins a prize! Bring me more hearts!!"

The kids clean up the confetti as part of a game. Problem solved.

OR...surreptitiously and in a silly manner reach down and grab a few hearts sticking them in a pocket or a sock or down your shirt or in your hat. Before you know it, the children will be giggling, grabbing and stuffing.

OR...Whip out a bottomless bag and start picking up the errant bits of flotsam...only to have them fall through the bag and back onto the floor. Look - Don't See for even more laughs and fun.

Frankly, some of my parents stated that their photos of the birthday child sitting in the middle of all that confetti were their favorites. Confetti hearts would be even more incredible. Clean up was very rarely an issue. (Of course, I always asked for permission first...and so should you!)

Creative solutions to creative problems. Be an original!!!

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
The collection of hearts idea is a great one and solves the mess problem easily. Good thinking. I may just convert!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:

"Whoa! Where did ALL THOSE HEARTS come from?!? Tell you what...on the count of three...the girl who collects the MOST hearts and runs them up to me wins a prize!! Let's see...you have one-two-three...SO MANY HEARTS! Okay! EVERYONE wins a prize! Bring me more hearts!!"

The kids clean up the confetti as part of a game. Problem solved.

Skip, good looking. When I perform at a park for a family reunion, company picnic, b-day party, etc. the kids leave a big mess around. Usually paper plates, plastic ware and napkins. I get the kids excited into playing a game. I tell them whoever picks up the most debris gets a prize. I tell them to place the debris inside the garbage bag/can. They run in all directions picking up the debris. The adults are very please with the clean up. I tell the kids the winner is everybody. I give out a balloon sclupture for all the kids.

I never thought about using that inside a house with confetti. I don't know, but I might start trying that now. It will also be good to bring a small hand held vaccuum cleaner as a back-up.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Big mess!

That you made.

Parents will remember it.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1620 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
At one of our magic lunches in Toronto, a magic friend of mine told me about one effect that he's quite proud of until it finally caught up to him.
The pop streamers (I may have the wrong description). He'd pop the cap as he is leaving and jet the streamers over the table as they are singing happy birthady.
He said "they will always remember me with a depature like that (they sure will)
Not only did it made a mess, but the streamers got unto the cake and started a fire.
Confetti and streamers shouldn't be used in homes. I've had many complaints from customers about the last magician who made such a mess, that they wouldn't get him back.
Richard.
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
All good points here!

Fire hazard
Mess
Upset parents

Still, I am privy to thinking like Skip here and find a creative solution to a problem rather than exclude what could be a most memorable effect and moment for the child.

Another suggestion: Perform it for your own child in your own home, or go rent a kid somewhere and get a nice photo of the whole thing. Show the photo to the parent at the party and explain what exactly happens, and how there will be a game to see who gets the most hearts collected in a goody bag afterward. I will bet you'll get a 99% "go for it!" attitude. Of course make sure the birthday cake is not lit during your show (which would be weird) and do not perform this for the amish.

If this were just any ole' effect I would say scrap it, but you have to imagine the impact and beauty this might have as well. Worth a look...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » New Item: (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL