The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tricks with drinking straws? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I would like suggestions for tricks with ordinary drinking straws. For example Mike Close's shoelace and straw trick or floating straw using IT. Thanks, oblique.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
How about an old effect: pushing a straw through a potato or apple.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Here are a few suggestions.

First (not a "trick"): If the straw is wrapped in paper, you can remove it from the wrapper by sliding the wrapper down the straw, creating a pleated wad of paper that looks a little like a caterpillar. Put the paper on a plate, and use the straw like an eyedropper to pick up a few drops of water (or any liquid). If you wet the paper with a drop of liquid, it will start to expand (where wet), making the wrapper writhe like a live worm. If you show this to kids in a restaurant, they will want to do it themselves again and again (could be a problem for the parents!).

Second (also not a trick): If you take a plastic straw by an end in each hand and wind it around like a crank, the air trapped in the middle of the straw will be put under pressure that builds as you "crank" it. Have another person "flick" the chamber that is filled with air with his finger, and the straw will pop with a loud noise.

Third (finally, a trick!!): there is an effect in The Magic Menu - The First Five Years where a large (oversized) straw is produced (a la appearing ten foot pole).

Finally, although I have not checked recently, I suspect that there are straw tricks in Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
An effect that I've been using successfully with straws is a variation of Eddie Joseph's 'Yogi's Gaze'. Basically, you put a straw (or newspaper in the original) on a table, gaze at it and after about a minute it bursts into flames!

Extremely powerful magic in the right circumstances. Those who know the method will understand when I say that a paper covered straw (as found in McDonalds et al) greatly eases the performance of this effect.

The original 'Yogi's Gaze' can be seen in the book 'Art of Eddie Joseph', published by Supreme Magic in 1978.
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Here's an older trick:

STRAW THROUGH CARD:
http://www.hamptonridge.com/product_page......ugh.html

And here's something for kids.
How to build a card lift with a straw
http://pbskids.org/zoom/phenom/cardlift.html

Magic Chris Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Just thought of another.

You could do the PK trick of moving an unwrapped straw on the table by gently (and surreptitiously) blowing while "concentrating."
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Hi

Here you can see a further demo:
Learn How To
- Stick a Fork in the your Eye.
- Pull your Thumb off.
- Jam a STRAW up the chin. (Easy drinking!)
- Pierce your ear with your thumb
- Cigarette up the Nose!

http://www.themagicschool.com/view.php?inp1=laugh_main.php

Magic Chris

Smile
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
David Harkey had an effect in Simply Harkey where his finger prints are melted into the sides of a straw while it is still in the wrapper. There was also a DVD out a long time ago (one of the first DVDs on magic) called "Magic Interpreted by Michael Reed Lucas". On it he produces a straw from his mouth.
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
You can find an appearing straw from the mouth in Magic as Interpreted by Reed Michael Lucas DVD.
Bernard Sim
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Mad Mojo by Andrew Mayne. Has one and it is pretty cool.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
My favorite trick is to twist two straws together and have them penetrate each other in the spectator's hands. It's been published many places, but I first learned it in Lee Snyder's "Just Like Magic!" book. It's often done with balloons too.

A friend does the multiplying straws (ala 6 card repeat) and another friend came up with a cool impromptu "rising" straw trick.

Sankey magically pushes a coin down through a straw on one of his tapes. It looks cool to see the straw bulge "around" the coin as it slides down and out the other end.

There are several cool PK moves or animations possible involving simple science.

Poking the straw through your chin and into your mouth has been around awhile and I think it is in Mac King's new book about things to do with your head.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Alpen
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
163 Posts

Profile of Alpen
Mike Weber's effect "Thinking a Tree Over" is a nice trick in wich a straw is moved around a cigarette and causes it to move.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
How about this one. I THINK it came out of a Cub Scout magic book.

Magus produces a drinking straw.

Runs string through straw.

Cuts through the straw.

String is unharmed.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bend the straw into a "V" about 1" from the end. Insert the "V" end into a empty pop bottle. Don't go down the bottle's neck to far, it will straighten out. Pull the straw up gently. The bottle will come up also. It is called lifting a bottle with a straw.
halcon
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of halcon
Here is one a buddy of mine and I recently came up with (original as far as I know).

You take a straw and in plain view take off the wrapper and ball it up into a small ball. Now you tell the spectator(s) to watch closely. All of a sudden, you strike at the wrapper that is one hand with the straw that is in the other hand and bam! the wrapper is back on the straw.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Martin Lewis has a really nice color changing pencil routine. It may be possible to take the principle used there and apply it to a straw.
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Since smoking is passe, the old trick of placing a cigarette on the table, pointing your finger and the cig would roll. Well do this effect with a straw at the dinner table.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
Bill Goodwin has a very cool torn and restored straw wrapper in his 1988 lecture notes.

Noah Levine
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Thanks to everyone for your posts.I have been given a good deal to research.oblique
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
If you can find it, Fearson put out a video with a straw trick on it. It has been a few years since I saw it but he showed how to swallow an entire straw in the blink of an eye. It was a great little bit as I recall.

Mat
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tricks with drinking straws? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL