The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini was a spy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
New book coming out claims Houdini was a spy and was possibly even murdered. (This was announced on the news this morning on television).
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Yes I've seen that. Apparently it's by William Kalush and another offer. It comes out today I believe. In essence, it says that Houdini was a spy for Scottland Yard and the U.S. secret service. He got a lot of his initial success from law enforcement set up escapes. The book suggests it was sort of a quid pro quo. Also, the two punches that may have led to his death, one in his dressing room and one in the lobby of a hotel, may have been arranged by angered spiritualists the book says. Should be an interesting read.

Cody
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Interesting theory. Who would these agencies want him to spy on? If someone wanted him killed, why not a blow to the head or a stab in the back? I'm very skeptical about this but I'm sure it will be interesting reading.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Yes, Houdini was a spy. It is the reason he changed his name, in order to go undercover. But it didn't work out as planned. My grandfather was privy to this. Houdini was due to be murdered, as he had found out too much. However, that went wrong too, because someone gave him a fatal punch shortly before the assassination could be carried out. The book will reveal all, so I am told.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kellar had him spy on Kalanag to learn his secrets? Smile

Posted: Oct 31, 2006 2:56pm
Uh, why was this posted in CARD TRICK section? Oh, I forgot, Houdini did a poster "King of Cards." Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Nice jokes, Pete, but show some respect. This is Houdini we're talking about.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
So what?

According to Dai Vernon, the guy wasn't a very nice character and was pretty awful at most sleight of hand. There are some excellent examples of this in The Vernon Chronicles Vol. 4 - as well as incidents where Houdini couldn't escape and was far from amused.

No doubt the guy did some good work around hilighting fraudulent Mediums - pity someone doesn't do this to an awful seres of programmes we have in the UK at the moment called 'Most Haunted'.

However, I'm sure Pete didn't mean anything by it......but then again even if he did......so what? What did Houdini ever do for sleight of hand card magic?
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
spacemonkey
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of spacemonkey
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 15:37, Canvey Card Sharp wrote:
What did Houdini ever do for sleight of hand card magic?

The Erdnase Change for one.

Bye.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WOW. This thread so far seems to be an interesiting read. Does anyone know if the authors are magicians?

Here is what I found:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/na......i29.html
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

And for two?

Adios
Barry Allen

Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Kalush is a killer sleight of hand magician.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
dai_vernon
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of dai_vernon
Some of you might know him as Bill Kalush.

Later,

Eric
dcullen30
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of dcullen30
Kalush worked with blaine on Vertigo and one of the other specials. He probably has the best knowledge about Houdini.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 15:37, Canvey Card Sharp wrote:
So what?
What did Houdini ever do for sleight of hand card magic?

Houdini was "the man who fooled Vernon".
dai_vernon
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of dai_vernon
Other way around.

LOL

Later,

Eric
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

From reading Vernon's memoires, Dai apparently fooled Houdini with a version of the ambitious card which he actually performed 8 times at Harry's request (he apparently stated he could always work out an effect after seeing it for a maximum 3 times). However, he would not admit he was beaten although Dai later received a letter from Houdini's Wife Bess saying he had stayed up all night thinking of a solution.
Barry Allen

Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Well... that's hardly very impressive if (as you write above) Houdini was **ite at cards. I suggest Vernon needed a reality check!!!! Must have been all about ego, and "na, na, na-na-na, I'm better than you". I find the story boring and irrelevant.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I believe the trick was called. "The Trick That Fooled Houdini"

And from what I can remember it was a very simple effect. You just needed that little extra or you could make one on your own with your deck.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 14:56, Pete Biro wrote:
Uh, why was this posted in CARD TRICK section? Oh, I forgot, Houdini did a poster "King of Cards." Smile

King of Kards!
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
Isn't it now believed that Houdini died of appendicitis, which may have been aggravated by the punches and his refusal to seek immediate medical care?

"Houdini was 'the man who fooled Vernon'." lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini was a spy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL