The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini was a spy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I always thought Criss was a Klingon. Maybe that's just me.

There is also evidence that Hanussen may have been a spy.

The main thing is before anyone makes any value judgments or stupid statements, read the book. Then you can make all the stupid statements you want to. Smile

Watching the uninitiated dissect this book before reading it reminds me a lot of some of the conjecture people make trying to figure out how a trick is done before it is released. It is truly comical.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Mr Palmer,

Perhaps we are both correct and he is a double agent.(Sorry - wasted childhood watching Get Smart)

Houdini was undoubtedly a brilliant and talented man. I've read so much of this book, I am impatient for it to arrive so I can read it. It was reviewed a month ago in our national newspaper, yet I can't have a copy yet.

The conjecture of how tricks work is always so much more intricate and intriguing than the actual method.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Could very well be. If anyone could be a double agent for the Klingons and Romulans, Criss could do it. He would have to do a lot of preshow work, though.

The trouble with the conjecture threads is that sometimes they have actually killed the sales of a trick before it was issued. And often these were good tricks.

On the other hand, that leaves a lot of good tricks available for people who want to try them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
On 2006-11-08 13:44, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-11-01 17:10, Top Hat wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-11-01 10:14, spacemonkey wrote:
Dude, you need to start thinking about these things...

What do you mean, start?

It doesn't take much thought to propose the existence of something like a double-backer, no matter whether they were widely used at the time or not. That is my point. That is, perhaps, why CCS was correct in saying that Houdini was perhaps not the sharpest tool in the box with regards to card magic.

Well, obviously, you are no razor when it comes to sharpness. In your first post about the double backer, you referred to it as a double decker.

Since you haven't read the book, and I have, I suggest you lay off the critique until you know what you are talking about.

I haven't the slightest interest in the book, oh Wizard.

Regarding the double decker, I was as sharp as a sharp knike that has just been extra specially sharpened by Mr. Sharp at 8am sharp, at the the annual knife-sharpener's convention in Sharpville, due to the fact that I was making a joke that I was hoping someone would take seriously.

Must dash - got to go pick up the sharping.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Not the cutting wit I expect you aimed for, Top Hat.

I would suggest not playing with knives though, and comb your hair before you go to school.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm' about 3/4 of the way through the book and I'm finding it's a page turner!

What a fantastic effort by the authors.

To be honest I was never a big Houdini fan, but what comes out in this book is that Houdini was a trooper as dedicated to the "show must go on" as anybody I've ever read about.

I have a new respect for Houdini's accomplishments and efforts based on reading this book.
He comes across as a real show biz icon.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Sooooo, Bess was an insecure alcoholic and druggie who sold the great man's massive collection of locks, keys and escapes to a junk dealer following his death...and Harry was an Oedipal egocentric workaholic womanizer with the generosity and heart of a saint? I honestly had no idea. Aside from these two rather blatant points of negativity...a very great book. Wow! I'm reading it through a second time to see what I may have missed.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's a great book, and the authors should be comended for offering up such a substantial work to magicians (and the lay public).
It was also a treat to be able to go into my regular local bookstore and pay normal book prices for a book that would be 35% more expensive if it was marketed as a "magic book".

I reccomend this book and I was NEVER a Houdini fan, I'm still not as big a Houdini fan as some might be, but I certainly respect the mans work ethic and knowledge of his craft (both magic and escapes) more than I did before.

With this book and David Ben's Vernon #1 biography (especially when combined with "The Vernon Touch"), we've seen two of the giants of the craft brilliantly documented.
For biographical information on magicians, it was a very good book year!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini was a spy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL