The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Complete List of Cups & Balls Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Hey everyone. longtime lurker, first post. C&Bs are by far my favorite area of magic. I am more into the historic side of things rather than performing, but would love to know if there is a complete or semi-complete list of all cups & balls routines (published or not). It doesn't seem like there are too many new ones published each year, and having a list of only ones that brought something new to the table would be fantastic (although a ton of work). A lot of the pamphlets I have seen are just rehashes of vernons routine.

Honestly Id love to start compiling routines for a possible book in the future.

Also, any C&B bibliographies posted anywhere? I know John Ramsays book lists one, but I have yet to find a copy I can afford.

Thanks for any help on the subject.

-lint
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Have you seen this?

The Cups and Balls
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I did recently bookmark this page but havent had a chance to go through it to see how thorough it is yet. thanks for the response!

-lint
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The cups and balls is one of the most often written about routines in all of magic. This list does not even scratch the surface. If you can find a copy of Potter's Index to Magic in Print, you will have everything up until about 1970.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks bill. and thanks for the wonderful museum site...

-lint
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are welcome.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
If you have access to the CDROM Linking Ring the Potter's Index is there, albeit spread over several issues.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't believe the entire index was published in the Linking Ring. I think many parts of it were, but it takes up about a half dozen 2 inch thick three ring binders.

Joro has an index to cups and balls routines in print in his Kleines Becherspiel Kompendium, but it is still missing some, since it was published more than 15 years ago, and much has been published since then.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Jeff thank you for the info on where (at least a portion of) the Potters index is printed. The linking ring cdrom set is on my list of purchases. Bill, is anyone working on an updated bibliography?

-lint
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Lint -

Half the fun is doing the research yourself. That way, you get to read the great routines that have previously appeared in print (maybe even find some hidden gems) and increase your own repertoire of sleights to make your own unique routine.

Have fun doing it!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-11-09 16:03, lint wrote:
Jeff thank you for the info on where (at least a portion of) the Potters index is printed. The linking ring cdrom set is on my list of purchases. Bill, is anyone working on an updated bibliography?

-lint

I don't know. I'm not.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
You may be right. I was just going off something Stephen Minch told me when we first got the LR CDROM.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the problems with the serialized version of Potter's Bar is that there were many addenda as the series went on.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I know I've probably asked this somewhere else, but I'm not sure: whatever became (or at any rate will become) the fate of Bob Read's work on the cups and balls?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Still no news as of yet. I spoke to Peter Lane MIMC about it last week. Peter was the librarian of the Magic Circle for 13 years, and close friend of both Bob and his widow. Work is progressing. I don't think anyone is going to let this book disappear.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
"I don't think anyone is going to let this book disappear."

for those uninformed, whats the book?

-lint
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob Read, who was arguably the most knowledgeable cups and balls man on the planet until his untimely death last year, collected examples of graphics containing the cups and balls. Some of his collection were originals, others photocopies, others photographs. They went back to antiquity.

He was correlating all of the information in order to have it published.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks bill for the additional info. I hope the book still comes out someday. My favorite c&b related print is by Carle Vernet. I wish someone would reprint it!

-lint
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The Vernet print is a great pick. My personal favourites are the C&B prints by Adrien Joly ("Escamoteur) and Edgar Bundy, both of which can be Googled. As I said in an earlier post,it is amazing how many C&B prints can be downloaded simply by going into the "Images" section of one of the major search engines and typing in "Escamoteur", Le Escamoteur", etc.

Fortasse
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Bill, any chance that, with Bob's untimely death, you'll pick up that baton and finish the book?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Complete List of Cups & Balls Routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL