The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Halloween video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5X9PMZvnk

Started out well but soon descends into hamminess and suspicions of stooges.Like you are going to keep a blindfold on that long despite vanishing and re-appearing elsewhere!!

The ghosts over the audience..visual TV effects?
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
I saw this live.. It was amazing. but the same "that's not my arm" joke was told then. If memory serves, wasn't this "The Barkley House"?
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
This is indeed the Barkley House. The ghosts over the audience is not a video effect. It was done live many times.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6826 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2006-10-31 17:56, BRodgers wrote:
...The ghosts over the audience is not a video effect. It was done live many times.

Correct! To rig that all up is a MOST time consuming endeavor! We tested it before the show (the last show I was a stagehand for DC)...and I had to re-rig it! Luckliy I had help...

Man...lot of work for :30 sec or so of effect! LOL!

Doug
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
153 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
I saw this Live in 1995, it gets an incredible reaction from the live audience. However long it took to rig Doug it was worth the effort the woman next to me literally screamed as the ghosts flew three feet above her head.

Rich
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I love this effect. So awesome to see it again.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
I'm curious to know if the flying ghosts used Sean Bogunia's device or was it something more sophisticated?
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6826 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2006-11-02 22:43, MagicFingers wrote:
I'm curious to know if the flying ghosts (were) used (in) Sean Bogunia's device or was it something more sophisticated?

Magic,

I can ASSURE you the Flying Ghosts in the Barclay House were MUCH more sophisticated and HEAVY DUTY. I mean the MOTORS for those r**ls!! HOO boy!

Nuff said

Doug
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Heh - I thought as much! Smile

That was some terrific rigging, Doug...and well worth the time spent!

Julian
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6826 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ha ha, Julian!

I wish I could take credit, but I just did what I was told...a lowly stagehand...a very enlightening and educational experience!

One word of warning, though...if you are EVER a stagehand at a local theater, and DC comes to town...DO NOT even HINT that you may be involved in magic or are a magician. They will UNCEREMONIOUSLY eject you from the team!

Most embarrassing experience I've ever had. Hey, but they can NEVER take away the KNOWLEDGE I accumulated in three years, LOL! I recommend trying out being a stagehand (non-magic shows), you will learn things you can incorporate into your magic knowledge. It truly was excellent!

Doug
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
David Seebach from Milwaukee had a lot of input into this one. DC saw Seebach's Halloween show and later contacted him regarding the ghosts. You can see Seebach listed in the end credits of the show.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Truly an incredible theatre experience, start to finish!

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Quote:
On 2006-11-03 22:11, Dougini wrote:DO NOT even HINT that you may be involved in magic or are a magician.

I've heard that. I also heard that his assistants ask you if you are a magician if you get called up onto the stage to participate in an illusion.
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
First off...Who cares if he uses stooges? Everything we do is deception, so why not that as well?
Love this routine...Really think it is one of his best!

I worked for Copperfield in 1987 when I was just 17. I wrangled his duck Webster and his harem.
They did ask if I was a magician, and at the time, I wasn't a working one, so I said no.
It was what really pushed me to get heavy into and serious aboiut my magic. The time spent backstage with his assistant and stage manager really opened my eyes. It moved me to the next step up.
Copperfield however, was the most distant performer I have ever worked for. Barely came out of his dressing room for more than a few minutes at a time the entire time I worked for him.

But I still owe him a lot.

Gwyd
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6826 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Gwyd!

Was the stage manager's name, "Jay-Stan"? Most difficult person I've EVER had the displeasure of working with ("for"). One stagehand almost "clocked" him for his rudeness. He was summarily ejected.

Jay-Stan was the person who (very indignantly) had ME ejected. That was a long time ago...I wish him no ill...I just CRINGE every time I remember that day....AAARRRGGH! Okay...back to topic...

Doug
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1600 Posts

Profile of Futureal
They probably kick magicians off the crew so they won't come and post their experiences working on the crew on magicians message boards.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hi Doug,
The fellow I worked the most closely with was named Chris. Really nice guy and he spent a lot of his down time with the crew making sure that everyone was happy and enjoying the work.
All in all, for me, it was a very good experience.
Gwyd
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6826 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2006-11-08 04:41, Futureal wrote:
They probably kick magicians off the crew so they won't come and post their experiences working on the crew on magicians message boards.

OK, Futureal... I get your drift!

That will be my last post on that subject!

Doug
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2006-11-08 09:58, gsidhe wrote:
The fellow I worked the most closely with was named Chris. Really nice guy and he spent a lot of his down time with the crew making sure that everyone was happy and enjoying the work.

Probably Chris Kenner?
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Chris wasn't with David in 1987, he didn't come on until 1992
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Halloween video (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL