The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Preview of Greg Arce's latest book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
I thought it would be worth doing preview (review)of Greg Arce's latest book: Four Thought. There is a lot of information in it for the amount of pages, but I hope he doesn't call it a book, but a booklet.

He says it only contains four effects, but as usual, Greg tosses in a lot more. There are two cute and funny ACAAN effects. It Greg's take on this new craze and they are definitely unique answers to the problem. One uses a coffee mug and
mini cards to accomplish the problem, but I really like the second
idea: It uses the 52 on 1 cards for a very funny outcome to this type
of effect. And Greg gives you several ways of doing it.

What I think makes this booklet worth more to me than he is selling it for
are Greg's two design duplication ideas. Both ideas are for those
special occasions when you are just doing something to one person. I
guess you could do it to more than one individual, but you would need
some audience management. I had just read an early copy a few weeks ago, and have already done this effect to close a deal on a walk around Xmas party while doing walk around at a restaurant gig. I had asked Greg not to put this in since I don't want everyone else doing it, but he is a jerk about that sort of thing. Smile

The first effect is called M.O.M. and you will have the ability to have a spectator stare into a photo of your Mom and then draw a picture. You then stare at the photo and draw that spectator's drawing even though you've never looked at it!

Now within that effect Greg gives you two other ways to do a drawing
dupe using this method, but with other presentations. There is a very
cool way of using the gimmick supplied - Oh, yes, he supplies the
gimmick you need - and with this method the spectator stares into
your palm and you then proceed to draw his drawing right on your own
palm as he watches. This one was my favorite use of the gimmick.
Oh, and I hate to say this, but Greg also includes a bonus drawing
dupe effect using this gimmick that is going to be used by a lot of
people.

I asked Greg why he was including this since he isn't counting it as one of the effects in the book. Greg said he will not include this bonus effect after November 20th. I really like this particular idea because you are doing two things - first, you find the spectator's chosen card by reading his thoughts, but then you redraw his drawing. And the first effect allows you to do the second effect. I really like to mix magic tricks with strong mentalism, and this effect really does that.

It's pretty sneaky!

Let's see, he also has an effect called Drop See which uses business cards and coin envelopes. You have someone draw a picture on the back of your card and then that's placed in an envelope. That envelope is mixed, by the spectator, with several other envelopes that contain blank business cards. You then turn around and find the correct envelope that has the drawing. You can even repeat that segment again
and find the right envelope.

It's another effect that should only be done to one spectator, but it's good. And for the final ending you redraw the picture on the back of the card.

Finally, Greg did throw in another bonus effect that everyone will get. He
admits that bizarre magic is not his style, but you wouldn't know it from this effect(plus I have met him, and in real life, he is pretty bizarre even if his magic isn't). He calls it Dark Soul and it's a spooky story about an evil man. I can see this playing in a seance or Halloween close up show and it uses of all things a Bounce-No Bounce ball. A lot of mileage with a simple effect. I am not going to describe it in detail here because I think to do so would give away to much. And frankly, it is another effect that I have been using at my Halloween gigs that I wish Greg didn't share.

So there's more than just four effects in this little booklet and at least two for me were worth more than the price to be paid for the booklet. I think most workers agree that if one thing in a book gets used in your show it is worth it, but when I just did magic as a hobby, I wanted more than that. Greg's books always make me think a lot more about how I perform, and this is no exception. So, I think it is probably worth it to both pros and non pros.

I believe Greg will have the booklet as a presale for $25 until November 30th then it goes up to $30. I don't know what his postage rate will be so you have to ask him, and I don't know for sure if that is the final price. (sorry Greg if that is the wrong price)

I forgot to mention that this is not an ebook. Greg is putting out a
small pamphlet-like book and it does come with the gimmick you need
to make up the drawing duplication effects.

I also don't know if he is putting up a website for it, so I am not really sure how to order it. He had a few early copies at the magic castle swap-meet. I bought my copy when I ran into him there. But, I don't think it is going to be in stores for a while. I would assume you could e-mail him to find out or pm him here.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, thanks, Lincoln.
Yes, he got an early copy so I'm still working on final draft.
I'm hoping to have the booklet ready to go earlier than the 20th.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Just received mine today with extra bonus included. Thanks Greg.
The book contains four effects and a lot of great ideas. It's full in quality and usable material.
I love MOM, what a nice and practical idea Greg, only this effect will improve my routines with your easy peek method, no more complex and expensive stuff. Only this one is worth the price of the booklet.
MOM is not only an effect; it is a new adaptable peek method.
Also I like a lot your ACCAN and Envelope routines, Wow…
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thank you, Mind_Magic.
In a couple of days I will be emailing all those that got the pre-orders with an update on All Cards At All Numbers... it's a way of doing the basic effect, but doing it in a cheaper way than suggested. I slapped myself for not having thought of it sooner.

Greg
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Greg

What's the URL to order directly from you?

Thanks

S
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Quote:
On 2006-11-30 12:05, ScottLeavitt wrote:
Greg

What's the URL to order directly from you?

Thanks

S

No URL to order directly is available as far as I know for the moment.

Just make payment to greg@wizmicro.com with paypal and let him know what you want. That's it.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey, this book rocks - especially for the nice bizarrist effect at the end...

Mr Arce, you also got me thinking of doing design dupes in a bunch of new ways with some innocent props... heheh....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As Mind_Magic stated above, you can just PayPal me by using my email address there. Four Thought is $30 postpaid anywhere in the US and add an extra $5 anywhere else.

Greg
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Thanks! order just went in
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I got it. It's good. Greg has a great twist on ACAAN. And he gives you several usable methods for it, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I agree Bill. Like Greg's other stuff, it is good useable material. I have yet to see Greg publish anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that wasn't worth every penny and then some.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I really like all the methods; they are extremely workable. But of the two ACAANs I love the mini card version and of the two drawing dupes, the palm of the hand method is great and has a lot of other applications. That Greg includes the gimmick was a nice suprise because I immediately wanted to try it out! Greg goes bizarre shows a new and dangerous side of Mr. Arce! This is stuff that will make you smile as you read it and that you will actually use.

Good Thoughts,

Bill
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'm glad to hear these ideas are finding good homes. I can't wait to hear or read the various other applications some come up with using these methods.

Greg
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
403 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Anyone use these ideas in performance? I know Greg has....his stuff is always a treat to read. I have everything from his so far.....never been discappointed.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 12:02, ritty360 wrote:
Anyone use these ideas in performance? I know Greg has....his stuff is always a treat to read. I have everything from his so far.....never been discappointed.

Do you mean just the stuff in Four Thought or my other books? I know several of my effects from the other books have been put into various acts around the world. It makes me smile every time I get an email from someone that has found something they like and now uses it in their acts.
Recently someone wrote to tell me that he devastated a group with Add Sense from Lost In Thought. And I know a lot of guys are using Scorch.

Anyway, I'm as curious as you are. I'd also like to hear performance stories on any of my effects. And I'm okay if you have tell a horror story about one of them if it went wrong or it just didn't work the way you thought it would. Everything is a learning process.

So fire away.

Greg
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
403 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Thanks Greg. And yes I am tlaking about your other ebooks. I love them! real solid thinking and great staging and scripting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Preview of Greg Arce's latest book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL