The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ultimate impromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

avislash
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of avislash
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could recommend books or something for the ultimate impromptu for scenario's like: you're walking down the street and someone you know stops you to see a trick and you have nothing, no coins, dollars, cards, anything, nada, nothing! Or you're sitting in class and all you have is either a pencil or paper or something, I hope you guys get my drift

Thanks
Avi
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Avi,
For impromptu magic try Michael Weber's "Lifesavers" or Martin Gardner's "Impromptu Magic" ( not sure of that title )
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.

If you can master sleights, you could do almost anything impromptu.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
You might want to check out this discussion I started a couple of years ago titled Nothing but finger tricks landed me a 2 year gig.

In that discussion you'll find a lot of suggestions and ideas.

I agree with rmoraleta. Learn to do sleight of hand with common objects and you're always ready. Doesn't hurt to carry your T-tip and other small gimmicks in your pocket too.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Twisting Arm Illusion" and "Finger Fantasies" are two where you need nothing but flexible body parts.

rmoraleta says, "If you can master sleights, you could do almost anything impromptu."
He's right on!
Someone will usually have a few coins, a bill, finger ring, a key or something you can borrow.

I've actually borrowed a shoelace and finger ring and did a thimble moves, knots and a nice ring and string routine. I,ve borrowed cigarettes and BIC lighter and done routines. The possibilities are endless if you just think outside the box.

In my opinion, finding and studying impromptu magic is one of the best things you can do. Think of a good presentation and those impromptu that at first appear weak can become quite strong.

Luck to ya,
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
An old magi once told me never leave home without at least one trick.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
'On the Spot' by Gregory Wilson is also an excellent set of tapes, in fact a lot of the stuff on there is better than I have seen in a lot of magicians full acts!

If sat with nothing but paper and a pencil, there are some miracles that can be done from Corinda's 13 steps.

As said though, there are many many threads on this topic!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Body Tricks by Stephen Ablett

He also has a Body Tricks dvd out at the end of the week...
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
If you focus your study of magic on sleight of hand you will be able to perform "Jazz Magic" anytime, anywhere with anything.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
If you can borrow a coin, then Stuck by Greg Rostami is truly an ultimate impromptu.
If mentalism is something you like, then Max Maven's Nothing DVD takes impromptu to the next level.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Well... not exactly impromptu. You still need the materials.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I'd like to put my vote in for the wise words above: LEARN to do solid basic sleight-of-hand with cards, coins, balls, the paddle move, etc. Once you can do manipulation with the standards of the craft you are ALWAYS ready to work no matter where you are! Not only that, but adding brilliant singular items like the Quarter in Soda Can (I personally think this is the finest impromptu effect ever devised) becomes just an extension of the skill set you already have.

All best,
Brad Burt
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Rubber Band magic is great for impromptu situations...
Check out Joe Rindfleisch’s EXTREME RUBBER BAND MAGIC DVD, its full with amazing magic.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I agree with Brad, and sjdavison with Greg Wilsons "ON THE SPOT". But just knowing basic sleight-of-hand will allow you to perform with anything. You can apply many coin slights to other objects for the same effects. Also Jeff McBrides "World Class Manipulations" which has some difficult material, but it will be worth it to you in the end.
Aim To Amaze
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ultimate impromptu (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL