The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Lessons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Repoman23
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Repoman23
Im an absolute begginer in every sense. On a scale of 1-10, I'm a 1 at this point.

Im looking to get into Magic though. Im familiar with a lot of the concepts and stuff but havent been able to learn any tricks. Ive read a book or 2 but I find I'm more of a hands on visual learner.

Which brings me to my point. Are Magic Lessons a common thing? I think it would be the best way for me to learn by far. Im more of an athletic type. Im used to playing basketball and everything ive learnt has been in a hands on way.

How can I find someone to teach me magic lessons? Do these people even exist or do you have to know someone already?

thanks
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
There are lot of possibilities, training videos seems to be good solution for you. But then there are also lectures Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Internet is the wrong place to find a magic teacher, because you will have to meet with this teacher personally. Your best solution is to look for a magic store in your local area. If there are no stores, see if there are several professional magicians who advertise publicly. Make contact and ask if they give lessons or know of a magician who gives lessons in your area. You should be the one to make all the contacts so you have a name, phone number and address on everyone you meet.

Find out what lessons will cost and if the person is willing to take you on as a student. Until you get to know the person giving you lessons, have him or her come to your house at a time your parents are home so you can all get to meet and discuss the lessons, payments, and so on.

Important things to know about the person giving you the lessons:

Personal Info: Name, Address, Phone Number. If the person drives to your house, jot down the model and make of car plus the license plate number. Get to know the person with whom you are dealing.

Experience info: Is the person an active performer? Can you see the person in performance? What magic orgianzations or clubs does the person belong to? Can the person get you in to one of the club meetings as a guest?

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think off for now. I'm sure other members of this forum will also have advice on ways you can locate a magic teacher. Good luck in your quest, and don't forget that how much you learn and how far you go in this area depends NOT on the teacher, but on you.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I was fortunate to be able to take a few lessons from a really good sleight of hand magician who owned a magic shop. I was in my late teens or early 20's and had been doing magic for years when I met him. I wish I would have had more $$$ so I could have taken more. He taught me many good sleights and gave me performing advice, business advice, etc. It was a good experience for me.

However, that being said, it may be hard to find a qualified instructor... I don't know many magicians who have had that experience. But today there are many teaching videos, DVD's, etc. that didn't exist when I was starting. And often they're by well known names doing their well known routines. This could be a good start for you while you look for someone to teach or mentor.

If you are near an IBM ring, you may find an experienced teacher there.

Just some thoughts,

Gary
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
I find that books are a great way to learn IMO. DVD's are a good source because you get to see exactly how something is done however you tend to do effects and use the patter that they say exactly the same way they do it. This is sometimes bad because then you don't have your own personal style. With books you have to use your creative side a little more but then you start to interpret things in your own way and start to develop your own style. Lectures are good also because it's also a visual element but you can ask questions. I would try to spend a little more time with books. Take out a deck of cards and follow along as you read. Don't move on to the next step until you know exactly how it is done. I hope this helps,
Rory
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I had the chance to study with a local professional magician.
it is priceless. go to lectures. as many as possible. there you will meet fellow magicians and talk to them about sessioning. great way to exchange knowledge, receive feedback and debate.
good luck

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I have learned from just hanging around magic shops. Once the customers clear the demo guys usually are easy to approach. I fooled around with magic for more than 20 years before I got the cajones to approach a real magician on tips and what not. If you show good intent they are usually more than happy to session a bit before a new crowd of customers gather. Join a local ring IBM or SAM. Once in a club you can attend jam sessions and hang with folks with the same passion for magic as yourself. DVD's are great to supplement with books. I buy most of my effects and supplies from local shops. I use the internet to get books, dvds and advice from the Café. Good luck in your search.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Years ago (early '70s) when I was attending The Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale studying commercial art, I used to frequent Paul Diamond's magic shop in the Searstown mall. Paul sorta took me under his wing as I practically lived in his shop. I saw a lot of magic and met a lot of magicians to boot,& I learned a lot too. I eventually became a member of his ring (SAM). I can relate with you munkywrench,
magic shops are a great place to mingle after hours. Whenever I get the chance, I travel up north to the Daytona Magic Shop and hang out most of the day. This is were I buy my books and effects. Every magician should support his or her brick and mortar magic shops.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Several years ago, I worked part-time during a Christmas season at a local consumer electronics store. Every other customer that came in wanted to buy a computer. I quickly learned to ask “What do you want to do with it?”

I find magic much the same way. I do kid’s magic almost exclusively. Not that I don’t appreciate the other stuff - it’s just what suits me. And not that I’ll never do any other kind of magic, either. But I could pick up these tricks and have fun doing them _now_.

Magic is a performance art, unless you are just interested in seeing how many tricks you can learn for your own personal sense of accomplishment. If you have a desire to perform, then get a basic idea of what you’d like to do - close-up, kids, illusion, parlor, cards, coins, rope, etc. - and ask for something in that vein that you can learn and perform quickly. To me, nothing stoked my desire to learn and progress like the reactions from those watching!

Don’t forget the local library (793.8, if I remember correctly). Or the bookstore. I know you said you wanted hands-on instruction - but really there’s only so much an instructor can teach you - what you do with it, then, is up to you. Your coach can show you how to dribble, but it was you with the ball in your hands for hours on end that enables you to move it down the court. So the instructor shows you a couple palms and cuts - what are you going to do with them? The books will show you what others have done with those tools, and hopefully spark your imagination.

The imagination - *that’s* where the magic lives! Not in your hands or your techniques, but in your mind.

Good luck!

Ed
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Get to know your local dealer(s). Support them by purchasing from and ordering through them whenever possible. They can get you in touch with other local magicians and/or invite you to lectures and meetings. You'll make friends from there and will probably find it very easy to find a mentor.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Tell them you like one particular trick and you understand how it's done, but you can't quite get this one part from the written directions. You'll find that they'll probably be more than willing to help you with it or point you to someone who can. And then you will start applying your own ideas and/or moves to tricks and sharing them with others and before you know it, you'll find yourself mentoring someone who finds themselves in the position you are in now.
circuskevin
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
65 Posts

Profile of circuskevin
If you live in the West Midlands, UK there are magic lessons at House of Magic. This is a Magic shop in Stourbridge. Lessons are currently on alternate Wednesdays. Occasional lectures also. Ali Bongo did one not so long ago.

Tuition is very much hands on and you can learn whatevever you like. Children's magic, mental magic, card magic ...etc

Place is run by John Milner who was one of Ken Brooke's pupils.

Kevin
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
It is absolutely paramount that yout at least tell us a general location of where you live. For instance, I live in Utah, and take lessons from Doug Roye and the Royal Academy of Magic, but if you live in Green River, Wyoming, you might get a tutor with a local magic shop. And if you live in a state like New Hampshire, then quite a few of us might not be able to help you until a person from NH comes along this thread.
Please note: Doug Roye has an account on here as dougroye. PM him or me for more information.
-Greg
Repoman23
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Repoman23
Thanks guys for all your responses, your giving me good information and you have been really kind.

To answer your question about location, I live in Toronto, Canada. Their is only one magic shop that I know of but its kind of far.

What would you say is a practical going rate for lessons per hour? $10, $20, $30?

Thanks again everything you have told me has helped.
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
In the U.S., I would say something around $45.00, including all materials (being supplied, of course, by the teacher). That's what lessons costed me.
Hope this helps,
Greg
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think your local magic shop is probably the best place to find a teacher. However, I know here in Minnesota, local community centers/colleges do offer evening continuing education classes for kids and adults interested to learn magic. I guess you won't get one-on-one lesson, but the fees might be more affordable and you get a more comprehensive material/lessons. I hope this helps.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I would suggest you put up another post mentioning Toronto up front. Maybe this topic title would work: "Need Magic Lessons in Toronto Canada." In your first post state how much you think you could pay for lessons and see if there are any takers. Then, CHECK THEM OUT before you give away any more personal information. I'm very cautious that way, from personal experience.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Lessons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL