The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Emachineshop.com for cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with ordering custom parts from emachineshop.com? The service has gotten some rave reviews and seems pretty neat. They supply the software to create whatever item you want them to CNC and it auto calculates pricing as you modify the part, select the metal you want it made from, etc.

I'm hoping some of the boards cups spinners/cnc'ers can chime in if they have had any experience with this site.

I would love to get a set of Ramsay cups made. Risers are fantastic, but I can't afford them (not sure I could afford them from this site either). Also I wouldn't mind incorporating a faux "seam" to the cups just like real ice cream cups.

Any thoughts on this?

-lint
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Why not use ice cream cups painted whatever color you like. They are inexpensive and the audience will not know the difference.

In addition you get the pleasure of eating the contents prior to performance. Smile

Bill
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Hi Bill.
I certainly agree with you, but I was just looking for something a little unique. Smile

-lint
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
That's an interesting site. It looks like they have difficulty in producing complex curved shapes so you may be limited in what you're able to design. Also, it looks like the finished products are unpolished - so you may not get a nice finish.

I think it's unlikley that you'll be able to get a one-off set of Ramsay-style made any cheaper than those Jim Riser has to offer - and there's no guarantee that they'll work-out for you. With Jim's cups, you know that he's done a lot of experimentation and the end result is the product of years of experience in cup design and manufacture. The main problem is going to be getting hold of a set Smile

Auke von Dokkum offers a custom cup service, but you're almost certainly looking at spending considerably more than the cost of Jim Riser's cups.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks for your input richard,
Risers cups are most certainly the result of an expert craftsman! I hope I can afford a set of (any) of his cups one day.

-lint
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It may be difficult to get the Ramsay cups done via CNC. The bottoms of the cups need to be a certain thickness, and I don't know what their minimum thickness is. I'm referring to the thickness of the outer wall at the bottom.

Designing an effective CNC cup is not easy. There are issues that concern things like the break of the curve, etc. So even if you save a few bucks on the cup set, the cups may not work.

The cups you buy from a maker have already been through the developmental process.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Emachineshop.com for cups? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL