The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Ring, The Wallet, and The IPod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
My Rendition of Tommy Wonder's "The Ring, The Watch, and the Wallet."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes they could perform this effect. There were a few 'issues' with the original version i.e. you pretty much had to be Tommy Wonder in order to perform it...

Please Enjoy My Work In Progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-VfDZ85gE

Derek Merdinyan
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Derek,
Why did you choose to use subtitles and to mute your voice?

~John
Greg V
View Profile
New user
B.C. Canada
43 Posts

Profile of Greg V
Nice work, although I've got the same question as John.
Thanks for sharing

-Greg V.
Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

The sound wasn't good enough (faded in and out). It killed me to have to put in the subtitles, I liked the patter much better!

All in good time I guess.

Glad you liked it.

Derek Merdinyan
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
On 2006-11-04 07:09, John Heggie wrote:
Derek,
Why did you choose to use subtitles and to mute your voice?

~John

I for one am thankful. That was the first time I've been able to really understand the patter of a routine in a long time. I enjoyed it.

But I can understand why you strange hearing people would want sound. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
I think Derek made the video with Ron in mind.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Naturally, I was thinking of Mr. Jaxon the whole time!

I am looking for someone to film a better version. Sadly, the weather forcast shows rain for the next eternity

Derek Merdinyan
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Okay, Don't take this as anything other than constructive critisism. The updating of the items is an interesting one. You say that Wonder's version has "issues" well, this one has major issues. I hope that this isn't something that you've done in front of a paying audience. None of the stolen items went "cleanly" into the envelope. Everything was kind of man-handled as you pushed it inside the envelope. Anyone watching would NOT beleive that you actually placed those items in. It looked like you were trying to "look-like" you were placeing those items into the envelope. It should have looked like you ewre simply dropping those items in. It looked like you were doing "something" everytime you put something it, it should look like you're doing "nothing".

Why didn't this brilliant theif take the head phones. Was it to allow you to follow the cord back into the pocket? Your hand going back into the pocket after everything "valuable" is in the envelope looks very out of place.

Back to the drawing board.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Eztravir -

I appreciate the criticism, and yes, I know there is much more work to be done Smile I've been waiting for someone to bash this up so I would know what to work on next.

You noted however that "none of the stolen items went 'cleanly' into the envelope" what about putting in the ring Smile

As for going into the pocket, I know several ways to solve the problem... The easiest solution would be to put the cellphone inside the envelope - I only went back into the pocket to reconnect the headphones (thats the real hard part!)

Derek Merdinyan

P.S. I noted (in the subtitles) that the headphones can't be pawned off very easily as they have been in my ears and therefore, the thief graciously let me keep them.
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
Just a thought... if you could lay your hands on a ipod dud you could make the earphones attach with a magnet to make the connection in your pocket much faster.

Just something to consider.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Mr. Barbour -

Good suggestion, it was one of the ideas I considered when I was looking for a faster way to connect the earphones. My only fear was that the ipod would get caught as I pulled it out of the pocket and the magnet would come undone. Still, it is something I have yet to explore and something I will test soon.

Best

Derek Merdinyan
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Interesting concept Derek.

I agree with what all have said about the appearance of putting the items in the envelope.

As I'm sure you've seen this a thousand times, do check out how Tommy (R.I.P) does it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrPgJrU6y-Y and notice his motions as he puts the items in, very natural.

Of course, no one can be like him and I'm not asking you to, but its just a reminder as to how the illusion of putting the items in should look like. Also, I feel that the briskness of his routine makes it all the more astonishing, so perhaps you may want to work on speeding up a little.

I thoroughly enjoyed your performance otherwise Derek, the addition of the Ipod was good, but I think a phone would have been better, gets rid of the earphone issue. If you're sticking with the Ipod, why not just NOT wear earphones. I mean, you introduce it with earphones and as you go into the routine, you unplug them and pocket them, just handle the Ipod from that point on.

Either way, I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the link, I look forward to more of your performances.

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Logan -

Glad you liked it. I went over the routine with a good friend of mine and we gave it a major overhaul. I can now cleanly and openly place all the items into the envelope. Also, as practice continues, I am zeroing in on that 90 second performance time that Tommy had.

I'll post the new version in the coming months.

Best

Derek Merdinyan
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Looking forward to that buddy!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Ring, The Wallet, and The IPod (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL