The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » My review of Seance DVD by Dixie Dooley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I happened to get this DVD as part of a DVD lot I traded for. Luckily I didn't pay anything for it! Here's my review

Content: While I did like the number of effects on the DVD, the quality was severely lacking. Like most of Penguin Magic's DVDs, they forgot to develop the DVD and discuss more than just the bare bones of the effects. Little history, little credit, no routine development, no outs, no FAQ, no additional ideas, discussion on theory of subject, etc.. It's very obvious that Dixie is making this up as he goes. His thoughts go everywhere! It's not professional at all!

Production Values: Penguin does a decent job of filming things with a good camera, but unlike their demo videos, they do little to keep the viewer interested. The DVD production values are terrible, with inconsistent menu transitions, intros, and general DVD navigation. The graphics are nice though, I wish they would have been a little more consistentcy. Sound quality was lacking, but not so bad that it was unbearable.

The Effects: I was actually impressed that Penguin and Dooley put this many effects on one DVD. I was very, dissapointed with the quality though. I was very dissapointed with one of the main effects used to sell the DVD, the floating table for under $100. It was terrible! The table wobbled and looked like it was about to fall apart as it floated! The dvd does a good job of exposing these methods, but does little to discuss anything beyond the bare bone methods.

TWO WORD SUMMARY: Dissapointing...Lacking

SUMMARY: Don't spend your money on this. Unfortunately it is packaged and marketed like a professional DVD, but once you stick it in and get past the main menu, it's terrible! I would be embarrased knowing this came from a "Las Vegas Headliner." Much, much more R&D should have gone into the making of this DVD. It was a wonderful idea, and the seance world desperately needs modern video material, but not of this low quality! If you're looking to find out how the tricks are done, and how to make cheap versions, this DVD is for you. If you're looking how to construct and present the tricks that might be used in a proffessional seance (or one you'd be proud of) look somewhere else.
freddypunns
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of freddypunns
Does anyone actually even do seances anymore?

- FP
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Yes, FP, more than you think. Some pretty well known folks are doing them. Avoid this dvd like the it's contaminated with the plague, by the way.
What would Wavy do?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Seances for entertainment (rather than just to con like the real psychics) can be very fun and you can make some good money. Get hold of Spirit Theater by Eugene Burger.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » My review of Seance DVD by Dixie Dooley (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL