The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's in a name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Buster..........you mention business cards. I have 2 separate business cards, one for adults and one for children's shows. I think if your name is Seadawg, Jolly Roger, Trixy, or whatever, that is what should be on your card. Do not put your real name...it will confuse them. I believe this is very important. It will create a greater awareness of your name.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree, names are important. That is why I picked Dynamike. One guy told me I should change it to "Too Smooth." Another guy advised me of the name "Micro."
trixsntracks
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of trixsntracks
A guy near my area calls himself "The Magic Man". So when mums ask the kids who they want at their party, they reply, "The Magic Man". So even if they don't mean him, the parents think they do, and he gets the booking! Clever.
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
My name's Dudu.
So, "Dudu Magic".

Do you think I need change?
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I am not sure...but if you were here in North America... "Doo-Doo Magic" would have a connotation that you may not like.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
SeaDawg,
I am curious how girls react to you as a pirate? I used to always dress as a pirate as Jolly Roger, but I found it was less popular with girls. So I now do a pirate occasionally, but I offer many more costumes as you will see from my website.

http://www.comicmagician.com/Picture_Gallery_children.html
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Gopod question, Roger.
Thanks to the marketing machine they call Disney, I am a hot commodity... Pirates are so cool these days (like they hadn't been for 300 years, but that's another story). I have always been blessed with the ability to deal well with kids, so it works for me. I also try and keep my Pirate lovable....easy on the death and skulls stuff for kids shows.

But I am in the process of putting together a "teenagers & above" Bizarre show that won't pull many punches...
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Gopod"

What is a "Gopod", Seadawg? Is it like an Ipod for Pirates?
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Gopod point.... If I culd type, I wuld be dangerus.....

Now I know why the thurd grad was the longest six yeers of my life...
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I've been performing as a family and children's entertainer for nearly 20-years in my area by my name, Derrick Rose. I book well, have good word of mouth, and in the past five years, have appeared as a semi-regular guest on a local morning television program (#1 in the market). Even with all of that I am still asked, more often than not, if I am "The Magicman" ? My question is, after 20-years of pushing my real name, should I even consider a name change, or at least an alter ego? I think it's too late, particularly with the TV exposure. What do you guys think?

Derrick
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
My name is "Potty the Pirate", and I find the name sticks in folks' minds. A quick Google search finds me when folks type in that name, though I need to work on my placement for other key words. I use various magic words that incorporate my name such as "That's Impossible, Potty!" As others have mentioned, this cements my name in the kids' minds. Many times when I'm arriving at a gig, in full costume, kids out and about with their parents will shout out "Potty the Pirate!"
Two weeks ago I was doing a show in a shopping centre about 60 miles away. When the organiser met me to show me my pitch, three kids came running up to me screaming: "Potty the Pirate". I immediately recognised them from a private party in the town a few months previously. The organiser was most impressed, and it made my day too.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
That tells you your image and marketing are working... I have had similar experiences, and they are a great ego stroke.

As a children's entertainer, I also use the opportunity to "plug" a few messages... ie "stay in school", "work hard at school", "just say no to drugs", and "never play with matches". Parents and audience members like these plugs, but I found that I then fell under the watchful eye of the public. So when in public, I make sure my demeanour and actions don't give anyone a reason to get mixed messages...
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
In a way I have embraced the moniker “Magicman”, since that is what I am most often referred to when I am out and about. For a magician, having that nickname is a lot like having the last name Smith. Just forget about using it in a Google search to find me.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"My question is, after 20-years of pushing my real name, should I even consider a name change, or at least an alter ego? I think it's too late, particularly with the TV exposure. What do you guys think? "

Of course, Derrick, you should change you name if you feel it is appropriate. It is never too late to change anything!! I am constantly reinventing myself. A few days ago, I was an aggressive salesman marketing Ridiculous Ravioli! Now I am a mellow Englishman, offering advice to anyone who asks for it!! I love it, and it keeps me young. Go for it, I say!!
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
20 Years is a long time to have invested in a brand and identity. If it is keeping you as busy as you want to be, then perhaps you should not consider changing. In fact, let me reconsider.... Are you nuts to want to change?

As a side, after 20 years of investing in your brand, if you aren't as busy as you want to be, maybe something is wrong with the product? Just something to think about....
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I'd have to say I'm about as busy as I want to be. I think if anything I would like to have more options, like taking gigs that are closer to home or maybe closer together. You know, less time in my caaahhhhhrrrrrrrrr. Sorry about that, but with all the pirates on this thread, I just had to stick one of those in here. Anyway, charging more and working less is always nice too.

Derrick
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Derrick, it sounds like your mojo is working...

Do not fall prey to the trap...."It was working so good we changed it, and then it wasn't"...LOL
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"Sorry about that, but with all the pirates on this thread, I just had to stick one of those in here."

Good observation about all the pirates on here. Who wants to IM Steve B. and suggest he starts a "pirates only secret cave" here on the Café?!
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I just use my real name, but incorporate my branding in the show and my ads. My slogan is "Just Bacon Up Some Fun", and my magic words are "Bouncy Bacon Bits".
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
A good slogan might work. Maybe... "Derrick - He's nuttier than a 20-pound Christmas fruitcake!" Just through the holiday season.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's in a name? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL