The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magictales --The Definitive Book on Story Telling Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
There have been a few books written this year dealing with the topic of storytelling presentation for magic, and the one that stands out above the others is MAGICTALES – The Definitive Book on Story Telling Magic by Leslie Melville.

This book is a beautifully packaged offering from Leaping Lizards Publishing. It is filled with magic, stories, illustrations, and photos covering the life of Leslie, “Teller of Tales – Performer or Miracles.”

The book is actually two books in one, as it contains the full text of Leslie’s “Kismet – or the Enchanted Stepping Stones” put out in limited release last September and no longer available. I had the pleasure of reviewing that book for the Shadow Digest last year; it was nominated on that forum as the best book of the year.

The first part of the book contains 17 performance pieces. I call these performance pieces as they are not “tricks” or “effects” but magical experiences containing captivating stories with a magical experience. This is true magic! Leslie’s gift of storytelling shines through in all of them. Having just used his “The Friendly Witch and her Linking Pins,” A comedy rhyming presentation for the Slydini Linking Pins routine for Halloween, I can attest to the strength of the material. The material runs the range for that usable for children’s performances, to that for adults. Much of the material uses effect, props, or themes that are classic and will be familiar to the seasoned performer, but no detail on performance is left out.

The first portion ends with an 11 pages essay on the craft of storytelling, how to apply it to your magic, and exercises for improvement. This alone is well worth the purchasing of the book.

The second portion of the book, as I mentioned above, is the republication of “Kismet – or the Enchanted Stepping Stones.”
Imagine having a 20 minute routine that is entertaining, engaging, fun, fits in a large envelope, and requires no work other than presentation. Now imagine that you have five different presentations ranging from a game show, to pirates, a Harry Potter like premise, a quest for lost treasure, to wife swapping. Something here for any performer, each is a complete, self-contained act.

This book breaths life into magic and returns it to entertainment, it is the life’s work of a very talented magician, gifted storyteller, and artist. It is an instruction manual on creating magical experiences with any audience.

This is easily the best publication on “magic” available. It lives up to its title and is “The Definitive Book on Story Telling Magic.”

Tony Iacoviello
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I'm with you Tony. This is one of my favorite books ever. I, too, have been doing Mssr. Melville's linking pin poem as well as the Strange Story of Mr. Tall and Mr. Small. It's surprising to me that adults are as into these two routines as the kids are. Nothing else I can add that you didn't already say.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I've read some of the reviews, and while I am not long on sotry-telling magic, it's something I'd like to explore but want a jumpstart. I noted in the pdf preview "The Treasure of Tortuga - A Pirate Tale. As I do some pirate-themed events, I was wondering if someone could provide an overview. If it has a book hook (sorry, I love puns), an effect I'm reasonably familiar with or can master (I'm not much into pasteboards, I work outdoors -- a lot), and a story I can adapt to my personality I'd be sincerely interested as you can pay $40 plus-or-minus for one effect, so a book of stories using common, classis effects would be right up my alley.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Treasures Of Tortuga is one of the presentations for Kismet, including artowrk. It is a 20 minute long interactive routine with costumes, physical interaction and a few surprises. Certainly useable outside, nothing hard to learn, and fun to do.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
This book really sounds great. I guess I have to order this as well!

Is it possible to compare "MagicTales" with "Hauntiques" or is it just completely different? I am reading Hauntiques right now and I really like it although I guess I won't use any of the stories written in there...
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
They are completely different.
What would Wavy do?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for a great review
Cards never lie
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
Nice review, Tony. Stories are SO important to the dressing up of magic. I will consider getting this book.

Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Nice review, Tony!!

Intrigued, I Googled this, eventually ended up on Leslie's site and immediately ordered this book for myself for Christmas. (grin)

Thanks for taking the time to alert the membership to this book.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
You can also see a free sample here: http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/magictales.htm
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
687 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
For those who may be interested, I have devised a new Christmas presentation based on the 'Kismet' Principle. It can be found on my website, but only by those who have bought the book, because the page is password protected!

You will need to log on to my website at: http://www.thestorytelling-resource-cent......les.html

Then scroll down to the heading 'Magictales'the book. There you will find further instructions!

The password that you will require to get to the hidden page is the name of The Pharoah's Chief Magician in the routine entitled, "The Egyptian Night of Rapture!"

(As Kardor says, "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!).
Stories....?....That's telling!
wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
WOW.... Loved that extra routine, Leslie! Thanks and happy new year!
Kevin Fox
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fox
I have to say that Leslie is one of my faverite performers, I love to watch him when I get the chance as far as I'm concerned he is the complete performer. Kids,close up , or stage, the guy can do the lot nothing to clever you understand but pure entertainment,I bought Kismet & I bought this, his blushing palms is great.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
I like the book's, is new genre for story telling magic book's from years experience by the magician from the fields.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
687 Posts

Back at the desk after the Holidays. Happy New Year to you all. Thanks for the positive comments - very much appreciated. Kevin, you'll make me blush!
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
687 Posts

Those of you who have been kind enough to buy my book, 'Magictales' may be interested to learn that I have written up another 'Kismet' routine. The routine is on my website and as before is password protected!

Visit http://www.thestorytelling-resource-cent......les.html and follow the directions under the paragraph headed, "Kismet Goes Bizarre!"

If you need further encouragement, it is an on the table card trick with a disgusting 'Jack the Ripper' plot!

Have fun!

Leslie.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Leslie - Very detailed, informative website!

BDC
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
687 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-20 11:55, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Leslie - Very detailed, informative website!

BDC

Thank you, kind Sir!
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Allow me to give a "Two Thumbs Up" for this great book as well. I had the pleasure of meeting Leslie at the ICBM get-together in Connecticut and buying the book from him. A most charming fellow and, for me, the hit of ICBM. My favorites are "Mr. Tall & Mr. Small" and the "Linking Pins" routine.

Not in the book, but Leslie's "Thumb Tie" routine is the finest I have ever seen! Also, ask him about his "Money Box".

Mark Ross
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magictales --The Definitive Book on Story Telling Magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL