The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Boston area Assemblies? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I seem to be in a fortunate position living in the Boston area. It looks like there are three assemblies with meetings within driving distance, Boston, Salem, and Worcester. Anyone here a member of these groups want to recuit me?

Seriously, is there any difference in the activities or membership that would make one group more interesting in a certain way? I guess I'm not too clear, but an example might be group A is really interested in "professionalism", putting on shows, and promotion, another might be more youth oriented, etc.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Marty:

Nice to hear from you. We just changed our nmmeting location from the Holiday Inn Riverside to St. Elizabeth's. We meet the Second Friday of the month at 8:00 PM.

Also, this is the perfect time to make contact as the Salem assembly will be having their annual 1 day convention this weekend.

Send me an email at samnum9@aol.com and I'll get you all of the information.

Tony
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Since you're in Arlington, the Nashua NH Assembly (the Assembly I belong to) is at least as close as the Worcester... Smile but I have to admit Salem's probably the closest to you.

Each Assembly will feel different, at least slightly. (I've been to each for lectures and such.) If you've got the time, check each one out, and see which one(s) you like. If you want my impressions on the various Assemblies (based on EXTREMELY brief exposure several years ago), drop me a PM.

:banana:
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I only know of the Salem Assembly as I was - and still am - a member of it although now I live in Memphis.

The Salem Assembly is rather large with good attendences. They have nice activities, great lectures, and wonderful people once you get to know them.

Eddie Gardner is one of their officers and he's one of the funniest magicians that I've ever known. He owns Diamond's Magic in Peabody.

They are great guys but I suspect that the others are as well.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

The Boston assembly is the closest to you, it is just one town away Smile

rikbrooks, Don't make fun of Eddie like that, he looks a lot better after the surgery.

Tony
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I attended the SAM 9 Assembly meeting Friday evening. A small group of folks (attendance was down, probably due to the SAM104 Convention the following day) were there. I felt welcomed and had a good time. I'll join this assembly and look forward to the holiday party coming up in December.

If I can figure out how to manage my time, I'll check out the other assemblies in the area. The Boston assembly is most convenient in terms of time and driving distance, but I don't think you can have too much magic.
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Join one, join them all! The local dues to each club in the area is very cheap. Your biggest investment will be the SAM National membership dues. The MUM Magazine is worth the price of admission.

SAM 16, the Central Mass. Assembly, meets in Ashland at the Magic Barn. For more information on this group, go to http://www.SAM16.com
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I just joined and attend the Salem assembly. I enjoy myself at these meetings as I have no other outlet to discuss ideas with other magicians. The lectures are informative and enjoyable. If there is anyone else out there that goes to Salem I would like to hear from you.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
The Boston Assembly (SAM9) now meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 8pm at the Magic Arts Studio in Watertown, MA.

As a group I've found magicians to be a great bunch of people, friendly, and helpful. I joined SAM9 and IBM122 and will probably go a bit further afield when I figure out how to make the meetings that are a bit farther for me to get to.
Marty Sasaki

David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Is this the one run by David Oliver?
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Oops, it's Wednesday night not Tuesday. Wednesday's lecturer is Jim Rainho.

Nope, David Oliver doesn't run it, although he sometimes makes the meetings, or is it the IBM meetings that he attends? My mind is going...

Marty
Marty Sasaki

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hey there...

Just stumbled onto this thread. Any members from the Salem Chapter floating around? I'm moving to Beverly in a few weeks with my wife and son, and definitely would like to join the closest group...which I assume would be Salem...

--Jon
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

Jon

A former member of the Salem group here(actually dual member of Boston and Salem). Yes, the Salem group is right next door. The assemblies don't meet during the summer months (July and August). Here is a link to their website, you can contact through it as well. http://sam104.com/

Tony
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-05-07 15:57, marty.sasaki wrote:
Oops, it's Wednesday night not Tuesday. Wednesday's lecturer is Jim Rainho.

Nope, David Oliver doesn't run it, although he sometimes makes the meetings, or is it the IBM meetings that he attends? My mind is going...

Marty

David is a member of Assembly 9 (Boston), but he is very busy with his career and with all the work he does with the SYM group he founded. He does attend assembly functions when he is available, and always volunteers to help out in any way he can. So, no, he does not run the assembly, but he is a well respected and treasured member and friend.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Boston area Assemblies? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL