The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flambe Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has worked with the Flambe Illusion (appearance of the magician on a platform that was on fire). I am seriously looking into this for my show, and if you could help it would be much appreciated...

Who are the main builders of the illusion?
How many people are needed to operate the illusion?
Does it pack small? How many cases?
And, I vaguely remember someone performing this on TV (maybe Kirby VanBurch), anyone know which special?

Thanks so much!
Brian
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I think Franz Harary did it on TV. I believe it was on Master Of Illusions on pax TV, not sure though.

Franz does have it on his tape he sells at his shows.

He used it with another illusions. He is placed into a metal casket. And it is then set on fire. You can see his hands the whole time. The casket is opened up and Franz has "magically" vanished. Then a small platform catches on fire. And with the help of a cloth Franz magically materializes out of the fire.

I think this is the effect you are talking about.

Best,
Mike
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
The illusion is also called Fire Tower. It's an invention by Kirby van Burch. In Europe it's performed by the illusionists Jan Rouven and Hans Klok in there shows. Hans showed up with it on WGM 3.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
The illusion Flambe can be made by Mendoza Magicraft & Bill Smith and was Created by Kirby Van Birch. Perhaps someone named it Firetower in their show.

Robert Gallop has a custom mendoza version, peter gossamer has a bill smith model.

I was at Mendoza shop when he was just packing one down. It has two big cases, the base is 5x5.The illusion runs from mendoza around $15,000.00 in cases from mendoza and somewhat the same or a bit less from Bill Smith.

Its needs performer and off stage assistant.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
jrabenho
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jrabenho
The illusion was created by Kirby. I worked with it for a few weeks. It is very dependable. It is also very expensive and you would need to talk to Mendoza or Bill Smith about creating it and the rights to the illusion.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3643 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Just a question here, because I love the way the word "create" and "exclusive" are being used in the world of magic today. I will limit my question to this particular illusion. What is the "unique" part of this (Fire Tower/Flambe) illusion? Presentation I can go for but .......? Have they being leaving something out when it has been performed on t.v., or am I missing something here? Perhaps someone (Zigmont?) could fill me in on what I missed.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Blair

Hi, I once had Lunch here in Tampa with John Daniel after a local P&L auction. I met Lee Edwards at the Henning warehouse back in 1988. Nice to talk to you too.
Basic presentation as David Mendoza showed me at his shop.

The unique part is the fact that the Zimmerman (secondary level) style base has a propane flame ring within it that fires up,as the flames are burning a curtain raises up (from the base) and becomes even the bottom of the secondary level covering up the truss work (6ft). Then fire shoots out from the top the curtain drops with the magician on the
secondary level and jumps down. As on board light gleam.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3643 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Thanks for the fill in. To me the illusion always reminded me of Doug Hennings' "Firedome". This had the Zimmerman base and, here it goes, the propane ring of fire. This unit was explained to me (with photos) and fully described by Eric Lewis who was consulting with Gaughan on the Henning specials. He designed the unit and mechanism for the ring, lighting, movement of the ring away from the opening etc. The curtain, up and down movement I have seen on other productions, if I am not mistaken prior to. So this is why I have difficulty with the "created by" and "exclusively by". In this case I see the same illusion, with a different shaped top. I guess I am being too literal.

With Lee and John, I have only spoken to them by phone, Norm Nielson brokered the show sale to/for me. You say you saw Lee in 1988 at the Henning auction, this is perhaps where he picked up the 50' Starlight curtain, with two traps used by Henning on his tours, that came with "ShaZzam!" The sucker weighs 1/2 ton !!!

I have started watching out for collectors conventions in the Northeast, hoping that John may be at one. I would really like to meet him. I have many of the original props, headpieces, masks and costumes from the original "ShaZzam!" including the 850 lightbulb lit sign. It may come back in style with "Chicago".

Just arrived here today are some of the Blackstone Jr. costumes. Adding them to my Eastern segment. Quite good condition.

Are you at a park this summer???

Let us know.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
duckster
View Profile
New user
Texas
76 Posts

Profile of duckster
I have performed the illusion and I have seen it many times.

I think it is a real Yawner!

To me the best appearance is the elevator.
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
Yawner? Are you serious?

To each his own I guess, but I think the illusion is excellent.

Do you own the illusion? Or did you rent it? I am curious as to how you got to perform it. I would love to work with one before I purchase it.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I owned a Elevator appearance and thought it was a Yawner.

Zigmont
Zigmont
Magic F/X
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
Zigmont,

So, in general, would you recommend Flambe for an opening appearance illusion?

BP
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
The elevator illusion is always a huge prop.
The Flambé is a large base and is just 1/4 smaller (but lighter) than the elevator.

When you are spending $12,000.00 - $15,000.00 for a new illusion, it's best if you make a trip to visit the builder.

I just started to use a flash appearance and it works well for corp. shows.

The flambé is not (like the elevator) a grab your attention illusion unless you have dancers and production value. The Copperfield elevator breaks that rule because he a celebrity with the audience eagerly awaiting his appearance.

PS. Your site is down.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
I think that is why I like it so much. Meaning, the prop is important, but not super flashy or catchy or anything.

It will probably be some time before I can purchase this illusion; I'm just doing my research so there are no surprises.

On another note, when I was looking around for builders of this illusion, I asked about the rights to it etc. Bruce Chadwick was one person I contacted... he said there are no rights as it is just a modification of the Zimmerman base. Anyway, he said he would build it. I'm haven't even started to think about who I will have build it; I just mention this because of the discussion on building rights to this illusion.

Anyone know when Hans Klok does it on WGM 3? My copy cuts off at Dirk Arthur doing his "sleight of tiger". Is it after this?

Thanks everyone!
Brian
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
The illusion was created for Kirby Van Birch and it has a lot more than a Zimmerman base.

The curtain raises by it self as the fire goes on by it self as well as shoots from the top.

It has all kinds of machinery that makes things happen and all timed together.

The base is a special design and it all worked out with designs from David Mendoza and Bill Smith. They will include rights and you will have the original design that you saw. If you have a builder that just makes it, you will be getting his version of the illusion not the illusion that you have seen with all the D&R and refinements.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
I can definitely understand how everything would need to be timed perfectly in this illusion. The only times I have seen in performed were by John Hirakowa in "The Magic of Polynesia" and he, to the best of my knowledge, does not have fire that shoots out of the top... but I can picture it.

But yeah, I understand what you mean and in time will probably go with Bill Smith or David Mendoza.
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
Magic559,

Hans does it right at the beginning of WGM III after Brett Daniel's appearing Ferrari.
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
Thank you Benedikt. I must have looked right over it.

Hans' wasn't a self-contained unit. There were no bars or anything coming up from the second level 'platform'.

Question to those who have worked with this: When the curtain goes up, can the bottom of the curtain go above the second platform so the ring of fire is seen again? For some reason, I remember Hirakowa's doing that. Maybe just laymen's logic though.

Brian
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
Nowadays Hans performs the Flambe Illusion of course with bars on the sides... WGM III aired a few years ago Smile
danieljsum
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of danieljsum
Noone has mentioned Chuck Jones. I was under the impression that he was responsible for the "Tower" variation.. where the bottom of the hoop rises above the secondary level... showing the fire the 2nd time.. right before the drop or appearance. Shouldn't he be consulted?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flambe Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL