The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Full Circle-Back to my roots... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Back in 1992, I was a full time balloon twister (Over 150 different hats on tap!!) working for tips in a Carlos Murphies resteraunt in Norfolk VA. I quit doing that to move onto other projects (By force...My now Ex-wife demanded that I get a respectable job).
Starting this week I'm back where I started.
But now in Grand Rapids MI.
I've been performing magic, sideshow and performance art with steadily growing frequency since I got back into performance in 2000. Amongst my 40 or so shows since May, I did a few balloon gigs, and dang it, it felt good!
So, starting this Wednesday, I have a weekly steady gig at a Tequila Willies Bar and Grill.
Got my T Meyers Pump-o (My preferred model...The Pump 1 always seemed to bulky for walkaround work. Cardboard or not...That pump is tough), three gross Qualitex mix and an LED scrolling badge that reads "Suggested tip- $2,136.27"
Ah...How the balloon hats will flow...

I'm more than a little excited!

Wish me luck!

Gwyd
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
Good Luck (not that you'll need)

From they way you have written your post, you convey that you are mre than ready for this gig, and that you cannot wait to get out there.

Let us know how it went!

Cheers,
Ali
A Smile, mind reading, funny escape artist wanna-be
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Well...It went pretty well.
They had an unknown band that night, and the manager would not stop apologising for the low turnout. This was a for tips gig, so it was a little rough just finding people to work for without being obnoxious.
Just the same, I managed a $5 average tip per table and got some really challenging requests. The crowd that was there was having fun playing "Stump the Balloon Guy", and they did not get me even once.
Took me a second to figure out a balloon chainsaw that they requested so that the could chop down the gigantic balloon palm tree I made for a centerpiece at one of the tables. But I got it!!
They loved my work, and were very excited that I wanted to come back again. Next week is a more well known band, so the attendance will be higher. I also scored the night before Thanksgiving, and that is always huge!
It felt really good to get back into the game, to get up close to rowdy people having fun and really go nuts with the whole thing.
I've been doing stage stuff so much, I kind of forgot how good it feels to have to interact so intimately for such a long period. To build a relatonship directly with a group of strangers is very...empowering.
And I got some hugs and a pint of Guinness out of it.
All in all, a good night.
Gwyd
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
A chainsaw?

Could you make another one and post a picture? I'd love to see it.

Congratulations, I'm glad it went well for you!

Ali
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
I am Very Proud of you Gwyd! You never cease to amaze me!
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ali-
I'll make another chainsaw up in the next couple of days and post a link to a picture.
It was pretty simple using two balloons.
Check back soon!
Gwyd
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
Thanks Gwyd!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Full Circle-Back to my roots... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL