The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 3 Shell Game... Grip Problem.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Am I the only one who has a problem with the shells being hard to hold when performing? They seem slippery in my hand and I do not have a confident grasp on them when performing. At this time I am using the perfect shells.

Thanks.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Maybe you're holding them to tight? Are your hands sweating?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I had the same problem. It was dry hands. Try using Cornhusker's Lotion or Zim's Crack Creme. This took care of my problems.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
What kind of shells are you using?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I occassionally have this problem. I'll give you a tip on a creme I've used once in a while if I thought it was going to be a problem during a performance. There is a grip creme used by bowlers that comes in a little cannister (like lip balm). Go very, very light (and I do mean VERY light) on it and you'll have no problems. It's not sticky, it just allows you to grip slippery items easily. Cool stuff.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2006-11-07 16:11, doug brewer wrote:
I occassionally have this problem....Cool stuff.

Thanks I will give it a look.
Quote:
On 2006-11-06 22:36, Pete Biro wrote:
Maybe you're holding them to tight? Are your hands sweating?

I believe that my hands were to dry. I thought I might be holding them to tight at first but that is not the case as I have tried several different pressure from very very soft to tight.
Quote:
On 2006-11-06 23:15, Chessmann wrote:
I had the same problem. It was dry hands. Try using Cornhusker's Lotion or Zim's Crack Creme. This took care of my problems.

Yes it seems that the major problem was my hands being to dry. Thanks...just takes practice and more practice... Ihave found out the best substitute for practice is more practice.
Quote:
On 2006-11-07 00:27, Bill Palmer wrote:
What kind of shells are you using?

Using "The Perfect Shell Game" acquired from Penguin
Also no problem stealing the pea on the forward roll but SOMETIMES I have difficulty loading it on the return. Not all the time. It just seems that at times I am doing it perfetly. I ama not sure if a better pea would help. Sounds like my old golf game...I need new clubs...yea that is the ticket new clubs then watch out....
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
I've always felt like I was going to shoot the shells like a watermelon seed no matter what shells or lotion I used until recently -

I picked up a set of Black Fox Master Shells and for the first time I'm comfortable doing the shells. They're rather pricey at about $50 for the set, but well worth it in my opinion.

(Additionally - the perform better than any shell I've personally used).

sam
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2006-11-07 18:16, stevenamills wrote:
I've always felt like I was going to shoot the shells like a watermelon seed no matter what shells or lotion I used until recently -

I picked up a set of Black Fox Master Shells and for the first time I'm comfortable doing the shells. They're rather pricey at about $50 for the set, but well worth it in my opinion.

(Additionally - the perform better than any shell I've personally used).

Sam,

Where can I purchase The Black Fox Master Shells?

Thanks

sam
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
http://blackfoxtradingandmagic.com/magic.html

Also for my personal favorite The "Street Shells" http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/shell_game.htm
I don't know much about the Fox product other than his reputation, which is good.
The Street Shells are perfect, I hear the Colorado Silver Shells are the best. I must wait a bit though.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The "Perfect" shells are far from perfect. They're slippery, and the molded plastic shape creates a "ramp" on the outside that makes reloading difficult.

Take Josh's advice and get either the School for Scoundrels Street Shells, or if you're a loyal Penguin shopper, Black Fox sells his master shells through them, or you can get them directly from him. It's a minor complaint, but I didn't like that Black Fox stamped his company name inside each shell. It gets away from the "hand made" look and looks more like something you'd see coming from a magic shop.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
"Street Shells" also solve all the other mentioned problems. Less expensive also it seems. Just DON'T try to modify them, I bought 2 sets because I am usually too stupid to leave well enough alone, fortunately I had another set. Believe me they are perfect out of the box with all the needed modification. Also they come with the "Perfect pea" which is.

I am biased, since I have 'em and love 'em, after using a couple of cheaper ones and trying to make my own.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've got lots of shell games. The worst are the "Perfect Shells" and the "Golden Shells" from Magic Makers. They are too slippery, and they are not configured properly for the game.

The Vernet Shells are good. The Street Shells from S4S are excellent.

If you want to keep a grip on the shells, use Chamberlain's "Golden Touch" lotion.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » 3 Shell Game... Grip Problem.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL